Transfer Portal

John Ward

Seems to me he is saying there is no chance to experience winning at UA so he had better get out. It is sad but I agree with him. We will be lucky to win two this year. Hate to lose a local kid. Best of luck Jonah.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Can't blame him. He wants to do more than block and it is clear that in this offensive scheme he will not see the ball. I think this is regrettable because 1) he could have been a good TE and 2) we should us the TE as a weapon, not always blocking. With the emergence of a running gain the threat of a TE actually catching the ball presents cover problems to the defense thus freeing up our WR's and RB's. I wish him well but I truly hate to lose him. Loved his name. I always felt it fit the Zips family. It is becoming more than suspicious that Arth wants to build only with his own recruits. I hope I can wait until he can produce on the field. I'm thinking it will take another two seasons before we begin winning consistently.  

25 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Can't blame him. He wants to do more than block and it is clear that in this offensive scheme he will not see the ball. I think this is regrettable because 1) he could have been a good TE and 2) we should us the TE as a weapon, not always blocking. With the emergence of a running gain the threat of a TE actually catching the ball presents cover problems to the defense thus freeing up our WR's and RB's. I wish him well but I truly hate to lose him. Loved his name. I always felt it fit the Zips family. It is becoming more than suspicious that Arth wants to build only with his own recruits. I hope I can wait until he can produce on the field. I'm thinking it will take another two seasons before we begin winning consistently.  

Interested to see what he does.  He committed to WV as an ILB.  From Morgantown, maybe Pitt,  back on D, not really tall enough for TE & hands not so good

8 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

That is a fine young man we are loosing. He has blood lines that you wouldn't believe. He will be missed and I hope nothing but the best for him. Looks like he has a couple more years to play.

9 hours ago, Zippy1986 said:

He is a nice player. I wonder how many more of these we may see in the upcoming weeks ??‍♂️

Players transferring is the norm today.  Everybody wants to have instant gratification.  Go to the transfer portal and search on schools.  Most have 3-6 players in the portal.  Akron will have more players that want to transfer.  If the 4 redshirt freshmen linemen are truly very good, I see many O linemen wanting to transfer to get some PT.  We need to understand that this is not a weakness, but it is a reality.  I see this as an opportunity to get 3 stud defensive players to close some of the gaps as the young players develop.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, John Ward said:

Whose next in the transfer portal. Seems like we losing a lot of young men.

Looking for names and rumors of who will be added to the transfer portal.  As of now, the transfer portal shows:

RB - Hayes Patrick

WR - Morris

DL - Meeks

TE/ILB - Wolfley

The portal currently shows that all 4 do not have a new school.  Please comment if you have information that is different.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bigjim said:

Looking for names and rumors of who will be added to the transfer portal.  As of now, the transfer portal shows:

RB - Hayes Patrick

WR - Morris

DL - Meeks

TE/ILB - Wolfley

The portal currently shows that all 4 do not have a new school.  Please comment if you have information that is different.

We have heard so many times argued on this site that players just want to play. Give them playing time and they will come. Proponents of the argument that UA will attract a lot of players because they can get on the field early should look at this list. All four players would have seen serious playing time, Hayes Patrick less because of Teon. Yet all have apparently opted out. Why? I feel part of their decision was based on having the chance to experience winning. If they want to leave because of discipline or character issues I have no sympathy for them, but if they want to win, even occasionally, I feel for them. 

35 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

We have heard so many times argued on this site that players just want to play. Give them playing time and they will come. Proponents of the argument that UA will attract a lot of players because they can get on the field early should look at this list. All four players would have seen serious playing time, Hayes Patrick less because of Teon. Yet all have apparently opted out. Why? I feel part of their decision was based on having the chance to experience winning. If they want to leave because of discipline or character issues I have no sympathy for them, but if they want to win, even occasionally, I feel for them. 

I prefer they be on the team, but the truth is, while all hyped upon arrival, none of them ever did much on the field, save for a few plays from Morris a few years ago. Morris and Wolfey were injured more than they were available. Meeks was OKAY. Hayes-Patrick had walk-ons getting carries before him last year. I'll concede they may be leaving to experience winning - i don't know the answer, but these transfers aren't something that only happens at Akron. Kent State also has 4 players in the portal..I assume none of them are transferring for the chance to win. 

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This kind of tweet borders on cheap. Why send it? Just move on if you think you can do better. But is UNC really better? Maybe he likes to ski and the challenging peaks and back bowls of Boston Mills weren't enough.  

Outside of Brandon Council, I do not think that one zip has moved on to bigger and better teams.  The players may move onto FBS, Div II, or Div III teams, but they have not moved onto other big time programs.  It shows that we have too many players that have limited talent.  Let them move on.  If they cannot stay committed to being a Zip, let them go and we will save on scholarship money.  I want players who love Akron as much as several people on this board.  

• Like 4