Transfer Portal

John Ward

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I was a Jonah Morris fan because 1. he was a Zip, and 2. he was a local product.  I'm always partial toward the local boys.  However, even seeing him play a handful of times in high school, he never blew me away.  I think people were just enamored with his potential at 6'4".

You always hope they are making these decisions very carefully with some guidance.  I don’t like he used mother’s failing health for appeal to NCAA to come home to Akron but yet as soon as he can he goes even further away.  Feel bad questioning character but in reality he left Indiana because he wasn’t going to play.  He is leaving Akron because it didn’t quite go as aspected either.  Hope the coaching is as good as he referred to and one of them can help  this young man grow.  No need for a tweet like that.  Hope he learns, you make your own opportunities.

Edited by 94zipgrad

29 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

You always hope they are making these decisions very carefully with some guidance.  I don’t like he used mother’s failing health for appeal to NCAA to come home to Akron but yet as soon as he can he goes even further away.  Feel bad questioning character but in reality he left Indiana because he wasn’t going to play.  He is leaving Akron because it didn’t quite go as aspected either.  Hope the coaching is as good as he referred to and one of them can help  this young man grow.  No need for a tweet like that.  Hope he learns, you make your own opportunities.

Agree 100%.  And when a player's career path goes Big 10->MAC->FCS, it's pretty slim odds that the problem is "coaching."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, John Ward said:

All those nay sayers that were harping how wonderful Bowden was and his recruits. Let stop for just a minute and reflect on the last post about all those transfers not going anywhere and lack of talent. Well whose recruits were those?

Wouldn't nay sayers (sic) be critical of Bowden?

10 hours ago, John Ward said:

Im referring to all the Bowden punch drinkers who don't think Arth is capable of recruiting talent.

That might have been what you were trying to convey, but it's not what you wrote.

At this point in Arth's tenure at Akron, I would give Bowden the edge in recruiting talent. I hope this changes soon.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:22 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

Interesting article here on the explosion of transfer portal this year and the impact of the new/COVID rules.

https://sports.yahoo.com/could-hundreds-of-college-football-players-be-left-stranded-by-ncaa-apathy-014322627.html

The silver lining for us is that we should have plenty to choose from to fill the class out, assuming the staff is looking to start filling holes and going to more of a win now mode of course. Should be some talent out there that can really help us out.

• Like 1

I'm about 90% positive Harris was a scholarship player brought in with the staff's first class. He didn't play at all last season due to injury and barely made any appearances on the field this year. Good luck to him. Looking forward to seeing how the staff can use his scholarship to improve the team. This is the type of player where its probably best for both sides to move on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

I'm about 90% positive Harris was a scholarship player brought in with the staff's first class. He didn't play at all last season due to injury and barely made any appearances on the field this year. Good luck to him. Looking forward to seeing how the staff can use his scholarship to improve the team. This is the type of player where its probably best for both sides to move on.

This is the type of player that is going to get left behind as described in the article posted by Clarkwgriswold above.  With the players retaining a year of eligibility, who is going to go after a player that could not get on the field for the bottom of the MAC Akron Zips.  He might find a DII team, but I doubt that he will get with a FBS team.  These players need to get a dose of reality.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:51 PM, John Ward said:

How so? All your boys have entered the portal and gone no where and /or they just quit or got tossed.So if you say your boy Bowden recruited nothing than you would be right. 

When Arth pulls together more than a win or two, come talk to me about the talent. Bowden recruited a lot for talent that translated to results. We have yet to see that from Arthur.

Talent isn't found on a ratings site, it's found in the "W" column.

• 2 weeks later...

I thank him for his time at Akron and wish him luck. Wherever he goes I hope he earns playing time and enjoys his career. Here his PT was limited and not likely to grow without a lot of hard work. Even with that he was competing against talented teammates who want to play and work just as hard as he does. Best of luck Julian. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

Good riddance.  I am tired of the current athlete who does not want to compete and participate on a team.  As soon as there is some competition, they want to leave for an easier situation.  These players need to realize that the grass is not always greener.  They need to understand the dose of reality as stated in the article above.  Look at the Zips in the portal and the offers that have been received.  They are few and far in between.  If you cannot play for Akron, there are not a lot of teams that will use a scholarship for you.  I am actually hoping that there are at least a dozen additional players who have no ability to contribute will enter the transfer portal.  This will rid the Zips of the Bowden recruits who cannot play and had only one offer for a scholly, of which TB gave one to one of these players who are not talented enough to participate in the MAC.  Let's lose some losers and save some scholarship money at the same time.  When we win 4-5 games this year and 9 next year, we will be praising Arth and his staff.   

Very happy to see Julian in the portal.  This player is a typical prima donna - probably the highest percentage of missed practices and workouts on the team.  For those of you that were not at the first game - when he threw his tantrum and swore in the faces of the coaching staff using the "F" Bomb.  In my opinion Arth and his coaching staff do not punish these players for their lack of respect and discipline.  Tired of seeing the kids that try to coast through get any playing time.  Bring it to practice, bring it to all workouts - time to get better as a team not have all of these What's In It For Me players being weights around this team and bringing it down.  

56 minutes ago, ZippityDoDah said:

For those of you that were not at the first game - when he threw his tantrum and swore in the faces of the coaching staff using the "F" Bomb.

The first game this year or the first game last year? I remember his tantrum last year. It took Arth a good minute to calm him down.

9 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

The first game this year or the first game last year? I remember his tantrum last year. It took Arth a good minute to calm him down.

More support to lose this bum.  Akron cannot have a culture in which the players yell at and challenge the coaching staff.  Also, if they are swearing at them, then Arth needs to step up and suspend or cut these players.   

• Like 1