Transfer Portal

John Ward

Boogie is another player I’d prefer to have stay for numerous reasons, most of which have been mentioned above. 

Coaches elected to move him to back up RB and play walk on WRs many snaps rather than keepin him at his starting position. With the WRs coming in, the prospects on getting Cole Gest back, and what Norrils showed against Buffalo, I don’t see where there was a route for him to get much playing time next season. He might go to another G5 program, but I don’t think I’d expect much else than what he did here. I think he’s a better fit for FCS or even D2 if he wants to get substantial playing time to finish out his career. Best of luck to him.

13 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I heard shortly after Bowden got the ULM job he was heading there.  I didn’t believe it being he is a NEO guy & ULM is no better.

At the same time I also heard Bubba was going with him.  I don’t believe that either being a NEO guy & a starter.  Unless they just like Bowden better

Bubba leaving would be a big blow, but I don't think it makes sense unless there is some strong loyalty to Bowden.

At this point, the list of last year's contributors I'd be disappointed to see leave to another program: Randy Cochran, AJ Watts,  Bryce Wilson, Janirr Wade, Bubba, entire starting OL, Dollard, Kelley-Powell, Corey Thomas Jr, MJ Horton, any TE, Qualls and Mathison. Those are players that I think losing hurts our team. Others are either too young/not enough playing time to make a judgment on or just aren't going to cut it. Scholarship numbers are important regardless, so we should be trying to limit attrition as much as possible so long as we aren't able to get up to the 85 limit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

Boogie is definitely one of our few transfers that could play at a program better than Akron.  Not sure how many of the others will get a chance.

I think so too. Very disappointed in the fact that we just lost another experienced player who had two years of eligibility left. Don’t blame him though because he was under utilized this season.

18 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I heard shortly after Bowden got the ULM job he was heading there.  I didn’t believe it being he is a NEO guy & ULM is no better.

At the same time I also heard Bubba was going with him.  I don’t believe that either being a NEO guy & a starter.  Unless they just like Bowden better

Loosing Bubba would be very difficult.  Coach Arth, do not let this to happen.

20 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Loosing Bubba would be very difficult.  Coach Arth, do not let this to happen.

1. I'm pretty sure the coach doesn't read Zipsnation.

2. How would you recommend the coach prevent Bubba from leaving (suggestion: tell him that here he is unique, but at ulm he won't be the only Bubba on the roster)?

3. What are you doing up so early?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

...  I didn’t believe it being he is a NEO guy & ULM is no better.

... Unless they just like Bowden better

Well that would certainly disrupt the narrative of some here, wouldn't it?

Not sure what has to happen before there is greater recognition of the problems with the program and current staff..

While there are some good players in the portal and the potential for guys like Bubba to leave too, I would be far more concerned if they were Arth recruits. While Boogie has been decent, including that awesome punt return, I think he, like every other skill player on the roster in 18-19, just wasn't enough to really make a difference and I see no reason not to get a different guy in there. He should do well and I think he will do well elsewhere, but if the parting message says nothing about the current staff, this is a move that both sides seem to be okay with. 

As for if Bubba leaves, that's certainly a much bigger blow and I'm not sure what to think of it. Honestly, I would kind of feel the same way I did when Utomi transferred from basketball. Like, excellent player, but perhaps he's simply not happy and would be better served going somewhere else. In that case, I have no problem with it! If the staff shows him the door, I would have a hard time understanding why as the defensive talent is simply not good.

I would love if both young men wore Akron uniforms in 2021, but these are not the end of the world to me. When you're 1-17, I think Dollard is the only player that would scare me to see leave.

4 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Well that would certainly disrupt the narrative of some here, wouldn't it?

Not sure what has to happen before there is greater recognition of the problems with the program and current staff..

Remember these are rumors at this point

1.  We don’t know where Boogie ends up &

2.  Bubba isn’t even in the portal yet, he very well may stay

5 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

1. I'm pretty sure the coach doesn't read Zipsnation.

2. How would you recommend the coach prevent Bubba from leaving (suggestion: tell him that here he is unique, but at ulm he won't be the only Bubba on the roster)?

3. What are you doing up so early?

1. With only one site with the pulse on the fan base, I am willing to bet that coach does read Zipsnation.  I hope it does not influence his key decisions but the staff needs to understand the fans.  Unfortunately, there are just a few fans who comment on Zips nation.

2.  Sit down face to face and have a heart to heart talk.  That approach has worked wonders for me over the years as a manager.  

3.  The early bird catches the worm. Usually, I am much earlier.

Go Zips

Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. I would bet the house UL-M will not have a better record than Akron this year. Not saying ours will be that good, but theirs will be pretty bad. 1 or 2 wins I'd guess.They went 0-10 this season.

I would think Bubba subjecting himself and the final year or two to the start of another rebuild is something he would look back on and regret. Hopefully our staff can convince him to stay. Nothing wrong with seeing a process through. Just look at the Browns.

Edited by LZIp
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2021 at 11:57 AM, 72 Roo said:

Hate to see him go. I thought he could provide a lot of leadership and passion to the team next season. I agree that he was not going to get a lot of PT as a running back, but I feel his best position is as an H back, capable of running or receiving out of the slot. I wish him well and hope he experiences winning somewhere. Thanks for being a Zip Boogie.

Agreed. Zips current staff under utilized him. The way he worded his transfer portal announcement on Twitter and no support from Akron Staff on social media makes me think there was a conflict of interest between him and staff. I wonder what happened?

7 hours ago, LZIp said:

Watts was a dud from this staff's initial class. Came from a D2 program that dissolved. Got on the field a little his first year but I don't recall seeing him at all this past season.

I believe this young man was injured. Never got another chance to perform. I wish him luck,

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Bubbas always wanna leave Akron.  Why is that? ?‍♂️

Stop spreading this fake news. There is plenty of that nonsense going on in the world today and we don't need this garbage spewed outta your mouth. Bubba has not wanted to leave and has no plans on going anywhere. 

11 hours ago, John Ward said:

Stop spreading this fake news. There is plenty of that nonsense going on in the world today and we don't need this garbage spewed outta your mouth. Bubba has not wanted to leave and has no plans on going anywhere. 

This was a joke based on the speculation for Arslanian and the previous transfer of Walther.?

• Thanks 1