Transfer Portal

John Ward

The transfer portal is new to college football and to us. There is nothing out of the ordinary in the Akron players who want to transfer out. It hasn't worked for them here and they are doing something about it. Since the portal is new some see use of it as an indictment of our program. It isn't. These guys just want to get more playing time and they know that's not likely here, so out they go. We are not losing difference makers and there is every indication that we will be better for the transfer outs. Schollies and/or resources will be freed up to be used on better talent. Take a deep breath and go have a beer. We are getting better. It's too slow for me, but we are getting better.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

The transfer portal is new to college football and to us. There is nothing out of the ordinary in the Akron players who want to transfer out. It hasn't worked for them here and they are doing something about it. Since the portal is new some see use of it as an indictment of our program. It isn't. These guys just want to get more playing time and they know that's not likely here, so out they go. We are not losing difference makers and there is every indication that we will be better for the transfer outs. Schollies and/or resources will be freed up to be used on better talent. Take a deep breath and go have a beer. We are getting better. It's too slow for me, but we are getting better.

I would like to see us utilize the transfer portal a little better . I look at some of the talent there and scratch my head. I looked at West Florida roster since Mav Wolfley is headed there and I couldn’t believe all the D1 transfers they have. So it makes sense why they won the D2 title after a col yrs. Pretty good use of the transfer portal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Ward said:

I would like to see us utilize the transfer portal a little better . I look at some of the talent there and scratch my head. I looked at West Florida roster since Mav Wolfley is headed there and I couldn’t believe all the D1 transfers they have. So it makes sense why they won the D2 title after a col yrs. Pretty good use of the transfer portal.

Another example of good use of the transfer portal is FCS Jackson State 

Check out the Tigers impressive transfer list so far-

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There's definitely a balance to be had, IMO. I think we may not have hit the portal hard enough the first 2 years and it shows, but having a team with a lot of experience the next 3 years will hopefully pay dividends. The staff so far in the late signing period seems to be focusing on filling gaps with transfers, both from the P5. I hope the majority of the rest of open scholarships are used in that manner with maybe 1 or 2 higher-ranked high school recruits (for us at least) if we have the opportunity to grab them.

It remains to be seen if the model Jackson State and West Florida are taking lead to long-term success. Its probably easier to do at D2 due to the limited amount of scholarships. Use the scholarships on ex-D1 players and supplement the roster with non-scholarship players as you normally would. Who knows how this will go at Jackson State with Deion. I want long term success for our program. A Toledo or OU type of program. Not a program where we make or win one MAC championship and it all falls apart and we go back to the gutter for another 3-4 years.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

I realize that I am crossing over a couple of posts.  But, if you look at the scholarship chart, 56 of 76 scholarships are either freshman or sophomore (redshirt or saving last years of qualification due to covid rules).  This does not include the potential transfers and late signees from this years class.  My point is that the starters who earn playing time are going to develop over the next year.  Others who are down on the depth chart will be entering the portal because of the lack of playing time.  I see that Akron will have many people transferring over the next year or two.  This will be much more than Boogie, who I think is a big loss.  For example, look at the OL.  We had 4 RS freshman start.  In addition, Arth has recruited several very good players the last 2 years (Chambers, Georges, williams, Lyones, Malot).  I would say that we are set on the OL.  However, expect several of these players entering the portal in the next year or so because they want to have playing time.  Players do not grow up in Ohio wanting to be a Zip, they may grow up wanting to be a Buckeye and they are willing to wait for PT.  Not the case in Akron.  As a fan base, we need to realize that there will be large exits from the Zips roster.  Let's just ensure that key players stay and we will establish a winning record, starting in 2022.  .  

On 1/13/2021 at 11:15 AM, 72 Roo said:

@72 Roo I usually agree with you. On this topic I do not. I think the players leaving are due to the current state of the program. It seems as is there is a contagious losing mentality between coaches/ players and there has been very little progress over the last two seasons. Can’t blame these kids.. they want to win games and play in competitive games. 

Over winter break we have lost several key experienced players which include M. Wolfey, J. Hicks, J. Morris, N. Stewart, B. Knight, and J. Riley. Wolfey, Stewart, Knight, and Hicks were all under utilized this past season. Riley struggled this year but is a great athlete and could have helped program if he had more confidence this year. He played great in 2019. 

There has also been quite a few other players who have entered the portal that did not play much here. Out of the experienced players, that is 5 WR / TE’s. Maybe it is the WR coach or OC to blame

1 hour ago, johnnyzip84 said:

I apologize if THIS has been posted before.  At least the door is capable of swinging both ways.

My key take away is that Michigan State has had 15 players enter the transfer portal in the last two months.  This is the norm in today's world.  The Zip fans should not get excited with the players that have entered the portal.  This is the world today.

14 hours ago, bigjim said:

My key take away is that Michigan State has had 15 players enter the transfer portal in the last two months.  This is the norm in today's world.  The Zip fans should not get excited with the players that have entered the portal.  This is the world today.

Michigan State is also a dumpster fire....the entire athletic program is and has been since the USA women's gymnastics scandal broke.

22 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Good for Nate and good luck to him. He's the player who has left and done the most at this level, and he is still going down even though he has guaranteed immediate eligibility. Food for thought.

Yep it still appears the transfers we are bringing in as a whole are more talented than those departing