Transfer Portal

John Ward

7 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

That Childs one bothers me. Quite a bit.

Why? As others said, he was "red-shirted" in a year where eligibility didn't count against anyone. Walk-ons got on the field ahead of him on special teams. We have Dollard for two more years if we're lucky, Ant Williams (MSU Transfer) 3-4 years, and its clear that Jonzel Norrils was ahead of him based on the Buffalo game. To add, Gest could technically come back. He's looking at 4th on the depth chart at best for at least for the next two years. He was a 3 star, but I believe that was based on his LB tape and not RB. We are the only school who offered him as a RB.

21 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Why? As others said, he was "red-shirted" in a year where eligibility didn't count against anyone. Walk-ons got on the field ahead of him on special teams. We have Dollard for two more years if we're lucky, Ant Williams (MSU Transfer) 3-4 years, and its clear that Jonzel Norrils was ahead of him based on the Buffalo game. To add, Gest could technically come back. He's looking at 4th on the depth chart at best for at least for the next two years. He was a 3 star, but I believe that was based on his LB tape and not RB. We are the only school who offered him as a RB.

I totally get what you're saying and I agree with you. But I rarely see players as obsessed with their head coach on social media as he was during the recruiting process. And he was a pretty well-recruited player out of high school. It's probably a non story, but it's simply odd to me that someone can be sold so hard and buy in with everything just for this to be the result. I appreciate the thoughtful response!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-dylan-meeks-transfer-portal-akron

If you're feeling a little homesick, might as well just transfer from Akron to one of the top powers in CFB ?

Thought you expert analyst’s said no big loss with Meeks. Lets face it the guy was a big loss for us. Gave 120% all day long and played anywhere you asked him too. Mr Meeks ,I wish you nothing but the best .

6 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Thought you expert analyst’s said no big loss with Meeks. Lets face it the guy was a big loss for us. Gave 120% all day long and played anywhere you asked him too. Mr Meeks ,I wish you nothing but the best .

Nobody has talked about Meeks for a long time. He was a starter in 2019, but didn't do much. That is a fact. Not saying he wouldn't have done much this year or next. With that said, the article states walk on. Most of our players could walk-on at a larger program. 

9 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Dylan made a good choice for himself.  He wasn’t getting opportunities to play football and study to be a Doctor.  Florida has a reasonable priced medical program, he got to go home & walk on to football team

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Dylan made a good choice for himself.  He wasn’t getting opportunities to play football and study to be a Doctor.  Florida has a reasonable priced medical program, he got to go home & walk on to football team

He is a fine young man who was playing out of position for the good of the team.I The young man was a beast out of HS. And I bet he earns that scholarship. Hard work = money !

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

The only MAC team with more kids in the portal is NIU, where the coach and AD both took 10% paycuts this year.

It's amazing how much data gets misused in a data driven society.

Every coach in the MAC, with the exception of Buffalo's, took a pay cut last fall. There is no correlation between pay cuts and the transfer portal.

Edited by GP1

51 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Every coach in the MAC, with the exception of Buffalo's, took a pay cut last fall. There is no correlation between pay cuts and the transfer portal.

Hell even Ryan Day at OSU took a pay cut. I'm pretty sure it was universal a cross all levels throughout the sport.

31 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Hell even Ryan Day at OSU took a pay cut. I'm pretty sure it was universal a cross all levels throughout the sport.

Half of the data analysists working in corporate America today would say that Ryan Day took a pay cut, there was an increase in Ohioans being late for work on January 12th; therefore, Day's pay cut caused increased tardiness in Ohio on January 12th. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

They were also 0-6. They are terrible. 

If the Zips had looked more promising, the transfer portable would be less troubling. 

I'd find it more concerning if the players that were transferring were actually getting good offers elsewhere. For the most part that hasn't been the case. I don't care how many guys who aren't good enough to play FBS football transfer. I'm more concerned by the fact we aren't recruiting well enough and the overall lack of talent on the roster.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'd find it more concerning if the players that were transferring were actually getting good offers elsewhere. For the most part that hasn't been the case. I don't care how many guys who aren't good enough to play FBS football transfer. I'm more concerned by the fact we aren't recruiting well enough and the overall lack of talent on the roster.

You have the biggest concern of mine. Trying to watch the talent level of the Zips, or lack thereof, is why I simply can't bring myself to watch. I don't care who is coaching the current level of talent, that person is never going to have a .500 season. It has never been easier for bad teams to be good in the history of college football and we still can't seem to be able to do anything.

Coaching is the most overrated thing in sports. If we could just get better talent, we would be in a better position.  

15 minutes ago, GP1 said:

You have the biggest concern of mine. Trying to watch the talent level of the Zips, or lack thereof, is why I simply can't bring myself to watch. I don't care who is coaching the current level of talent, that person is never going to have a .500 season. It has never been easier for bad teams to be good in the history of college football and we still can't seem to be able to do anything.

Coaching is the most overrated thing in sports. If we could just get better talent, we would be in a better position.  

Yeah, but good coaching develops talent.

18 minutes ago, GP1 said:

In college athletics recruiting is just as important, if not more so, than being an X's and O's coach. There is a reason that programs like Alabama, Clemson, and OSU are always there competing for national championships every year. They consistently are the teams that recruit the best year in and year out therefore they outmatch their opponent at nearly every single position. It's also why so many great college coaches go to pro sports and don't succeed (Saban, Calipara, Pitino, Spurrier, Butch Davis, etc.). At the pro level talent is spread more evenly and you can't hand pick your players so being a good X's and O's coach becomes more important in gaining an edge.

Not to say Akron needs to become an OSU or Bama, but we need to start recruiting and developing talent if we want to compete and win the MAC. There are no GMs in college football so failure to attract the talent you need to succeed falls squarely on the head of the head coach.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

There is a reason that programs like Alabama, Clemson, and OSU are always there competing for national championships every year. They consistently are the teams that recruit the best year in and year out therefore they outmatch their opponent at nearly every single position.

You're on to something here. There is a saying in sailing that goes like this...."The faster you go, the faster you go."  When a sail is lifted and fills with air, the boat begins to move. It's a whole physics thing, but the movement of the boat causes other accelerating pressures on the sail that causes the boat to go faster. You go faster because you are going faster. This is not infinite.

The teams you mention win because they win. The more they win, the more they win. The more they win at this point, the more they solidify their positions at the tops of their conferences and the college football world because they get the best players. What does this have to do with recruiting?  Imagine being a 5 star defensive line recruit and the coach from Indiana comes to your home and tells you, you will immediately be the best defensive lineman on the team the coming fall. Sounds pretty good doesn't it?  How could this story get better for the kid?  The OSU/Clemson/Alabama coach comes to your home and tells you that you will have significant playing time in the fall. In addition, there will be another 5 star defensive lineman next to you on the defensive line and a 5 star linebacker right behind you. Unlike Indiana, where you will get double teamed every play, you will never get double teamed at OSU/C/Al and you will make a ton of tackles, win conference championships, compete for national championships and produce a ton of plays that will be on video and shipped off to NFL teams before the draft making you a high round draft pick after your JR year.

That's how they win.

Not the sailing, but the rest of the ideas above I heard listening to Rick Neuheisel on ESPNU Radio. He is worth listening to during college football season because he is just so freaking smart.  He is a kind of "lens of clarity" about all things college football that makes you more informed but less enamored by the sport because he lays things out as they really are and not, as fans, the way we want them to be.  

Edited by GP1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

There we go ! Dog the kids .. Everyone is a talent scout. Is it lack of talent or not utilizing a young mans talents correctly. So I guess Mr Council going to Auburn was due to lack of talent.. Hmmm.. SEC pwr conference..

Edited by John Ward