Transfer Portal

John Ward

46 minutes ago, LZIp said:

What players do you think aren't being utilized correctly?

I don’t think Boogie, Morris, Stewart, Wolfley, or Meeks were utilized correctly at all.I also think some of the boys playing should not be and Im not throwing names out there as its not right. If you are s student of the game and understand what your seeing you know who I am referring to.

34 minutes ago, John Ward said:

I don’t think Boogie, Morris, Stewart, Wolfley, or Meeks were utilized correctly at all.I also think some of the boys playing should not be and Im not throwing names out there as its not right. If you are s student of the game and understand what your seeing you know who I am referring to.

Boogie in Arth's first year was used in the slot, like Bowden, and had approx 4x the yards he had under Bowden.I thought he was an okay 3rd down/spell back for Dollard this year. He may have ended up with more yards rushing than he had receiving last year if we played a full season. Fine in both roles, but not a star in either. Boogie took a move for the team and I commend him for that...yes it may or may not have been his best/natural position (though he was a RB in high school).

Morris never played once under Arth. He was out all of 2019 with an injury and entered the portal prior to the start of 2020 season. I don't know how Stewart was utilized incorrect. He was on the outside, same as he was with Bowden and I don't think anyone would disagree with him being there. I can concede QB play affected his stats, but can't really think of a time he made a play after catching the ball. He was a prototypical "possession receiver". 

Wolfley was also used in the same manner as Bowden as an H-Back type with the random route thrown in(and hurt seemingly every other play). I remember him being talked up under Bowden but it never materialized into anything. Dylan was a straight special teams player under Bowden. Had 5 tackles in his first 2 seasons. Had 47 in one season under Arth at DL. He was around an average MAC player, maybe LB would have been a better position, but it seems like splitting hairs. Chances are he won't be anything more than a special teams player at Florida so we'll never know.

Most of this isn't opinion..its fact. How do you think these players named should have been used?

One of Arth's former assistants is now a NFL head coach. Many of his assistants in his short 2 year period here have already moved on to better opportunities. He is reportedly being targeted for a NFL job. The proof seems to be there that he is a pretty good coach and other CFB/NFL programs see value in his assistants.Trust the process, or at least let it play out before determining if this is a success or failure.We want long term success (I hope) and that will likely take patience.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Boogie in Arth's first year was used in the slot, like Bowden, and had approx 4x the yards he had under Bowden.I thought he was an okay 3rd down/spell back for Dollard this year. He may have ended up with more yards rushing than he had receiving last year if we played a full season. Fine in both roles, but not a star in either. Boogie took a move for the team and I commend him for that...yes it may or may not have been his best/natural position (though he was a RB in high school).

Morris never played once under Arth. He was out all of 2019 with an injury and entered the portal prior to the start of 2020 season. I don't know how Stewart was utilized incorrect. He was on the outside, same as he was with Bowden and I don't think anyone would disagree with him being there. I can concede QB play affected his stats, but can't really think of a time he made a play after catching the ball. He was a prototypical "possession receiver". 

Wolfley was also used in the same manner as Bowden as an H-Back type with the random route thrown in(and hurt seemingly every other play). I remember him being talked up under Bowden but it never materialized into anything. Dylan was a straight special teams player under Bowden. Had 5 tackles in his first 2 seasons. Had 47 in one season under Arth at DL. He was around an average MAC player, maybe LB would have been a better position, but it seems like splitting hairs. Chances are he won't be anything more than a special teams player at Florida so we'll never know.

Most of this isn't opinion..its fact. How do you think these players named should have been used?

One of Arth's former assistants is now a NFL head coach. Many of his assistants in his short 2 year period here have already moved on to better opportunities. He is reportedly being targeted for a NFL job. The proof seems to be there that he is a pretty good coach and other CFB/NFL programs see value in his assistants.Trust the process, or at least let it play out before determining if this is a success or failure.We want long term success (I hope) and that will likely take patience.

Well it sounds like you have all the answers. Arth leaves we all expect you to apply for the job since you know all the facts. Would love to see it... 

37 minutes ago, LZIp said:

His job is to develop players and win games. The program has regressed under his leadership. That isn't isn't opinion it's a fact. 

If he really believed in "#ourway" he wouldn't be looking at the easy exit from the burning dumpster fire in NE OH. He knows this is a no-win situation. It's hard to know how much is on him and how much is on the administration, but the situation is bad.

12 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

His job is to develop players and win games. The program has regressed under his leadership. That isn't isn't opinion it's a fact. 

If he really believed in "#ourway" he wouldn't be looking at the easy exit from the burning dumpster fire in NE OH. He knows this is a no-win situation. It's hard to know how much is on him and how much is on the administration, but the situation is bad.

And you only make it worse ... Mr Negative.. Positive mental attitude son. It can be infectious but you will not embrace this staff you just keep living in the past.. Bowden,Bowden,Bowden... Please.

24 minutes ago, John Ward said:

And you only make it worse ... Mr Negative.. Positive mental attitude son. It can be infectious but you will not embrace this staff you just keep living in the past.. Bowden,Bowden,Bowden... Please.

Why “Mr.” And “son”? Can’t a poster be female?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Ward said:

I try not to get to into this cause we are not there everyday, we don’t see everything that goes into being a D1 football player.  It’s about 16 hours a day and I’m sure coaches have there reasoning but both Wolfley & Meeks came to us as linebackers and was converted to TE because we didn’t have any, especially with Booker not wanting to play college football.  Morris was made a safety at Indiana, I believe because he isn’t a WR, and Boogie I think this staff figured him out.  He isn’t a WR, they tried, they loved his work ethic & he was the focus in the slot but ultimately he is a RB, great HS career at running back & is good with ball once he has it but struggles to create separation at WR.  I hope Dre is dedicated,  I think with Dre & Mathison in the slots, Dollard at RB if they find some consistency at outside WR & a QB with our Oline hopefully continuing to grow our offense could be pretty dam good but it won’t matter if our defense doesn’t get some talent.  Especially dline, I’ve been saying it since I got on here in 2017.  You have to have good dline to have good defense, they keep the lineman off LB’s & get pressure on QB’s to help the DB’s & we have been awful at dline

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Ward said:

Well it sounds like you have all the answers. Arth leaves we all expect you to apply for the job since you know all the facts. Would love to see it... 

I just think we should do better than vague comments about players not being used correctly and patronizing other posters if someone questions it. Be specific. 

I don’t know if Arth will end up working out. I like what he stands for and that he’s a local, so I hope he does. There’s a lot of bashing of coaches, many have shown something to someone to advance their career. There’s a lot of bashing of him, he’s being looked at for an NFL job. Those are facts. Recruiting definitely needs to improve and/or we better hope he’s great at player development. I think his grade on that is TBD since many contributors are still so young.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:11 PM, John Ward said:

Agreed these players were not properly utilized. It seems like the staff was forced to use them more their first year but as more of their players came in the less the Bowden players were involved. 

Good coaches get their playmakers the ball. This staff tries to get their recruits the ball. Boogie, Morris, Stewart, Wolfey, and Hicks will be strong performers for their new teams this spring/ fall. A few will receive post season awards in their respected conferences

On 1/23/2021 at 2:00 AM, 94zipgrad said:

.  Morris was made a safety at Indiana, I believe because he isn’t a WR, and Boogie I think this staff figured him out.  He isn’t a WR, they tried, they loved his work ethic & he was the focus in the slot but ultimately he is a RB, great HS career at running back & is good with ball once he has it but struggles to create separation at WR. 

Morris (2018), Stewart, Hicks, and Boogie proved they can play over last couple seasons. They are all D1 WRs. Akron will miss these guys and WRs will become weak spot in 2021. Morris had some injuries that set him back. Stewart was a key player but this staff failed to get WR the ball consistently. Maybe because poor qb play to blame.

Hicks started at CMU & Akron. Can’t say he is not D1 talent. Not sure why he only had 2 catches this past season. No wonder he is leaving.

Boogie could have been an all conference WR in 2019 if coaching staff would have used him properly as a slot wr. They never called plays for him. They never threw him the ball in the short game.. slants, screens, and short routes. He moved to RB this season but Akron could’ve used him at slot in most of the games.

During 2019 season it was obvious Coaches would sub boogie out to put their recruit in. Their recruit WR is good player but not better than Boogie. He struggles to stay healthy. Staff forced him into slot role in 2019/2020 instead of letting it naturally play out. Would have been more effective if mixed him in for shot plays. 

28 minutes ago, Zippy1986 said:

Morris (2018), Stewart, Hicks, and Boogie proved they can play over last couple seasons. They are all D1 WRs. Akron will miss these guys and WRs will become weak spot in 2021. Morris had some injuries that set him back. Stewart was a key player but this staff failed to get WR the ball consistently. Maybe because poor qb play to blame.

Hicks started at CMU & Akron. Can’t say he is not D1 talent. Not sure why he only had 2 catches this past season. No wonder he is leaving.

Boogie could have been an all conference WR in 2019 if coaching staff would have used him properly as a slot wr. They never called plays for him. They never threw him the ball in the short game.. slants, screens, and short routes. He moved to RB this season but Akron could’ve used him at slot in most of the games.

During 2019 season it was obvious Coaches would sub boogie out to put their recruit in. Their recruit WR is good player but not better than Boogie. He struggles to stay healthy. Staff forced him into slot role in 2019/2020 instead of letting it naturally play out. Would have been more effective if mixed him in for shot plays. 

I’m sorry but most of this is just wrong.  I personally know players in this group, when Arth got here he fell in love with Booigie because he is that guy that is in the field house all day everyday & he was all about Boogie.  Once the games started he did nothing, read defenses wrong & made mistakes & then Mathison took his position.  He had some huge mistakes that was really costly in UAB game.  A muffed punt & stood & watched a kick off die at the 2 yard line.  His role diminished after that game.

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

I’m sorry but most of this is just wrong.  I personally know players in this group, when Arth got here he fell in love with Booigie because he is that guy that is in the field house all day everyday & he was all about Boogie.  Once the games started he did nothing, read defenses wrong & made mistakes & then Mathison took his position.  He had some huge mistakes that was really costly in UAB game.  A muffed punt & stood & watched a kick off die at the 2 yard line.  His role diminished after that game.

He did nothing? 
BE82A1D6-7FC5-4892-ABA1-9A4EC4BCFF19.png

He cost Akron the UAB game? Akron was going into the fourth quarter down 31-6..

Boogie didn’t play as much in 2020 because of a conflict with a coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zippy1986 said:

He did nothing? 
BE82A1D6-7FC5-4892-ABA1-9A4EC4BCFF19.png

He cost Akron the UAB game? Akron was going into the fourth quarter down 31-6..

Boogie didn’t play as much in 2020 because of a conflict with a coach.

You must not of been at game, we scored 1st, missed extra point, missed a field goal.  Muffed punt, 2 awful punts from our end zone, one of the bad punts was after the kickoff we watched at the two yard line.  UAB had 2 long TD passes that #6 got burnt on but offensively we moved the ball well.  Passed for like 350 yards.  We could have won that game without these costly mistakes & as a new coach if your vets are making these kind of mistakes you give next man up an opportunity, We have a better K now that he was given a chance & unfortunately Boogie & Riley are in portal cause it didn’t work out

Let’s not twist my words, I said he had some costly mistakes, didn’t say he cost them the game.  (Go back & read post if needed) He was the worst graded WR and they gave Mathison a shot is what happened..  That is why he wasn’t all conference WR in 2019

Nothing personal against Boogie, his work ethic & dedication is 2nd to none but he didn’t have a lot of game experience at WR being a RB his whole life, maybe with some work he will become one at ULM, I wish him luck 

On 1/22/2021 at 9:15 PM, John Ward said:

There we go ! Dog the kids .. Everyone is a talent scout. Is it lack of talent or not utilizing a young mans talents correctly. So I guess Mr Council going to Auburn was due to lack of talent.. Hmmm.. SEC pwr conference..

Dude get over yourself. I never called out any individual kids nor did I say there were no good players on the roster. Council was obviously good, but we didn't have enough players near his caliber. To me it sounds like you're trying to be the talent scout now by insinuating this roster has plenty enough talent even though the teams 1-17 record over the past two years says otherwise. Also, since so many of Akron's transfers aren't getting picked up by other FBS teams, I guess those 129 other FBS teams must not know how to scout either

30 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Dude get over yourself. I never called out any individual kids nor did I say there were no good players on the roster. Council was obviously good, but we didn't have enough players near his caliber. To me it sounds like you're trying to be the talent scout now by insinuating this roster has plenty enough talent even though the teams 1-17 record over the past two years says otherwise. Also, since so many of Akron's transfers aren't getting picked up by other FBS teams, I guess those 129 other FBS teams must not know how to scout either

It will be interesting to see how many kids in the portal make moves after the second signing day or spring ball. It's a big miss not to be on a roster for spring ball, but I am guessing we will see quite a lot of that this year. Just because the portal isn't showing it yet, doesn't mean these kids don't have homes. Neither Boogie nor Rhett Rodriguez are showing as having a place yet, but we know they have one.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Child please.. Go troll somewhere else. I can tell you one thing that Im 100% about. I can evaluate the talent much better than you. As far as scouting , aint none of that happening unless the young man has game film. Like I said before if a player is not being utilized correctly its hard to tell much.  

Remember in the “old days” when you’d be sweating out if players made grades or not? Now they all graduate in 3-4 years, and then get graduate degrees. Are “athletic-friendly” degrees and study tables hurting the Zips (and other programs)? The better the grades, the more likely a player is to transfer?

• Like 1