Transfer Portal

John Ward

11 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

You must not of been at game, we scored 1st, missed extra point, missed a field goal.  Muffed punt, 2 awful punts from our end zone, one of the bad punts was after the kickoff we watched at the two yard line.  UAB had 2 long TD passes that #6 got burnt on but offensively we moved the ball well.  Passed for like 350 yards.  We could have won that game without these costly mistakes & as a new coach if your vets are making these kind of mistakes you give next man up an opportunity, We have a better K now that he was given a chance & unfortunately Boogie & Riley are in portal cause it didn’t work out

Let’s not twist my words, I said he had some costly mistakes, didn’t say he cost them the game.  (Go back & read post if needed) He was the worst graded WR and they gave Mathison a shot is what happened..  That is why he wasn’t all conference WR in 2019

Nothing personal against Boogie, his work ethic & dedication is 2nd to none but he didn’t have a lot of game experience at WR being a RB his whole life, maybe with some work he will become one at ULM, I wish him luck 

You are a hater. Either a coach defending the 1-17 record or jealous parent who has it out for most of the WRs including Morris and Boogie. Best of luck to the transfers & best of luck to the zips in 2021. Hoping for the best. 

24 minutes ago, Zippy1986 said:

You are a hater. Either a coach defending the 1-17 record or jealous parent who has it out for most of the WRs including Morris and Boogie. Best of luck to the transfers & best of luck to the zips in 2021. Hoping for the best. 

You couldn’t be farther off, I like Boogie a lot, I have no relatives on the team but did during the Bowden era & don’t hate any coaches or players, just my opinions, sorry if you disagree

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Ward said:

Child please.. Go troll somewhere else. I can tell you one thing that Im 100% about. I can evaluate the talent much better than you. As far as scouting , aint none of that happening unless the young man has game film. Like I said before if a player is not being utilized correctly its hard to tell much.  

I'm not the one pretending to be a better talent evaluator than people who are paid professionals. Perhaps you should put your name in the hat for the next Akron opening.

5 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

It will be interesting to see how many kids in the portal make moves after the second signing day or spring ball. It's a big miss not to be on a roster for spring ball, but I am guessing we will see quite a lot of that this year. Just because the portal isn't showing it yet, doesn't mean these kids don't have homes. Neither Boogie nor Rhett Rodriguez are showing as having a place yet, but we know they have one.

That is a fair statement. I suppose time will see how things play out.

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

That is a fair statement. I suppose time will see how things play out.

Bad thing about the transfer portal is it has ruined it for HS Sr’s. The recruiting landscape has been forever changed. You will see more 4.4 GPA all state performers ending up at JUCOs to get film and prove themselves in hopes a P5 program will snap em up.

10 hours ago, John Ward said:

Bad thing about the transfer portal is it has ruined it for HS Sr’s. The recruiting landscape has been forever changed. You will see more 4.4 GPA all state performers ending up at JUCOs to get film and prove themselves in hopes a P5 program will snap em up.

Or more of them will start out in G5. That would be a good thing for us.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, John Ward said:

Mr Lyons is a nice young man with a very bright future. He did all that was asked of him and was a good LS. Who replaces him? I wish him well.

If Akron has done anything right the last ten years is having dependable longsnappers.  As a matter of fact, I believe we had two guys up for national awards for their quality snapping.... Next man up! 

Cam Lyons appears to be the first Zip in the transfer portal who has gone to a similar or better program. I can live with that. Best of luck Cam. I hope you excel at Charlotte and have a great time. Thanks for what you did here.

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

Cam Lyons appears to be the first Zip in the transfer portal who has gone to a similar or better program. I can live with that. Best of luck Cam. I hope you excel at Charlotte and have a great time. Thanks for what you did here.

Well I think Brandon Council did pretty good going to Auburn and though West Florida is D2 they were national champs and I hate to say it but they could beat most MAC schools so Maverick Wolfley fared ok.Dakota Peters went to Pitt and Dylan Meeks went to Florida. 

1 hour ago, John Ward said:

Dylan Meeks went to Florida. 

Just because he drove to Florida and enrolled there doesn't mean his situation bears any resemblance to Council's. Dylan is an exceptional kid, but if he plays a down for the Gators, aside from possibly against whatever FCS team they pound 73-3. I'll be astounded.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Just because he drove to Florida and enrolled there doesn't mean his situation bears any resemblance to Council's. Dylan is an exceptional kid, but if he plays a down for the Gators, aside from possibly against whatever FCS team they pound 73-3. I'll be astounded.

Wow...Hoping to call you out in the fall after this kid hits the field. 

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It is tough to live with the fact that a program founded 8 years ago is presently considered similar, or better than Akron.

You got that right. It's a better program than Akron. In every way, Akron should be the better program. What do they do differently?

1. They have an AD who isn't very bright, but doesn't make catastrophic decisions. 

2. They play at a day and time that is convenient for students, alumni, fans and the general community to attend. With the exception of one week 1 game in the past two years, every regular season game has been on Saturday. 

3. Even in difficult financial times, uncc promotes the positive accomplishments of their students, faculty and staff. 

4. Oh, they put an ok product on the field. Nothing great, but you don't want to vomit watching them. 

Other than these three things, Akron is equal or better than them in every way. Akron has a clean/better stadium, decent tailgating if you choose, good seating and clean bathrooms. 

It is almost impossible to be this bad, but "making the impossible, possible" should be our tag line. We are the only football program that could take that tag line and make it a negative statement. 

7 hours ago, John Ward said:

Well I think Brandon Council did pretty good going to Auburn and though West Florida is D2 they were national champs and I hate to say it but they could beat most MAC schools so Maverick Wolfley fared ok.Dakota Peters went to Pitt and Dylan Meeks went to Florida. 

I grant you that and stand corrected. I'm just glad we aren't losing players who we can build on for now. I also appreciate GP1's perspective. He is right in that Charlotte, an 8 year old program, is better than ours, at least for now and next year. But on the other hand I am heartened that we have better, cleaner bathrooms. That's one our athletic leadership can put in the win column.

20 hours ago, John Ward said:

No D2 team is beating most MAC schools

• Like 1