Transfer Portal

John Ward

3 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Bubba was not a walk on but a blue shirt

The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's scholarship total, as long as they don't play. Here's what it means to be "recruited," according to the NCAA:

Was provided an official visit to the campus;

Had arranged, in-person, off-campus contact with a coach; or

Was sent an NLI or other written scholarship offer.

Coaches can contact players and have them on campus for unofficial visits — when the recruits pay their ways — without technically recruiting them. Essentially, as long as a recruit doesn't take an official visit or host one of that school's coaches, he wasn't "recruited" by that school.

It appears that this comment about "walk ons" was actually a "walk off".  Thanks for the info, I believe you have won the day and it is still morning.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Bubba was not a walk on but a blue shirt

The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's scholarship total, as long as they don't play. Here's what it means to be "recruited," according to the NCAA:

Was provided an official visit to the campus;

Had arranged, in-person, off-campus contact with a coach; or

Was sent an NLI or other written scholarship offer.

Coaches can contact players and have them on campus for unofficial visits — when the recruits pay their ways — without technically recruiting them. Essentially, as long as a recruit doesn't take an official visit or host one of that school's coaches, he wasn't "recruited" by that school.

You can look at it any way you want Sir but bottom line is he was a walk on Blueshirt,Greyshirt, pinkshirt they all have to pay at first. Lets face it the world doesn’t put stock in a young man unless he is overhyped with stars.Bubba being 5’8 automatically eliminated him outta high school. I hope the NFL doesn’t overlook him .But,the society we live in thinks since he is not 6’3 235 running a 4.5 he can’t play. Its harsh but its reality.

3 hours ago, John Ward said:

You can look at it any way you want Sir but bottom line is he was a walk on Blueshirt,Greyshirt, pinkshirt they all have to pay at first. Lets face it the world doesn’t put stock in a young man unless he is overhyped with stars.Bubba being 5’8 automatically eliminated him outta high school. I hope the NFL doesn’t overlook him .But,the society we live in thinks since he is not 6’3 235 running a 4.5 he can’t play. Its harsh but its reality.

What your saying has some validity but there is a huge difference between a PWO who may never get a scholarship & a blue shirt who has a scholarship after the 1st semester 

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Comes with the territory of leadership change. Him entering the portal doesn't necessarily mean he's gone for good. Buffalo's head coach was able to keep Marks last year after he entered.

247Sports Transfer Portal on Twitter: "Akron QB Zach Gibson has entered the transfer portal. He's thrown 2,471 yards and 15 TDs in his career. https://t.co/Gwkcv0fuxG" / Twitter

• Thumbs down 2

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

Comes with the territory of leadership change. Him entering the portal doesn't necessarily mean he's gone for good. Buffalo's head coach was able to keep Marks last year after he entered.

247Sports Transfer Portal on Twitter: "Akron QB Zach Gibson has entered the transfer portal. He's thrown 2,471 yards and 15 TDs in his career. https://t.co/Gwkcv0fuxG" / Twitter

I expect Jankowski and Marousek to follow suit.  That will leave the new coach in a very bad spot in this position.  

4 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I expect Jankowski and Marousek to follow suit.  That will leave the new coach in a very bad spot in this position.  

Completely disagree. @Hilltopper has thrown as many college TD passes as Marousek and Jankowski combined.

In the transfer portal era there are scads of decent, disenchanted QB’s falling from the trees. 

If QB is a problem for the Zips next season, we have bigger issues than QB…we will have picked the wrong guy to turn around Akron’s football program. 

Just my opinion tho…😇

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I looked at the portal this evening after the news of Zach Gibson throwing his hat in the game.  Michael Scott also entered the portal on Saturday and Teon Dollard on 11/10/21.  I had noticed Gavin Blunt was taken off the roster in the fall, and now I see he entered the portal on 9/30.  Also, per the portal, Bryce Peterson has yet to land with a team.  

4 hours ago, John Ward said:

They will follow. Never understood why they were so heavily cherished.

Really?  What’s your understanding based on? Unless you saw Marousek in one series on Saturday, most people haven’t seen either of them play. I would have expected both to leave if Arth and both Irons/Gibson stayed but now given Arth’s firing, Kato’s finish and Zach’s probable transfer, I would think they wait to meet with new coach, see if there is a fit,  who might transfer in and then make decision that’s right for them. Their opportunities to play D1 are now exponentially better at Akron, than entering the Portal. There have even 12 QBs enter the Portal since yesterday. It’s a losing proposition for 90% of the kids that enter and think they are just going to move to another D1 school on scholarship. 

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Completely disagree. @Hilltopper has thrown as many college TD passes as Marousek and Jankowski combined.

In the transfer portal era there are scads of decent, disenchanted QB’s falling from the trees. 

If QB is a problem for the Zips next season, we have bigger issues than QB…we will have picked the wrong guy to turn around Akron’s football program. 

Just my opinion tho…😇

Are you questioning my abilities!💪

9 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Read through the comments and someone tweeted come back home @zipsfb 

Guthrie get Moorhead

Moorhead get Trayanum

That would start the process 🏈🏆

It would be huge. As I mentioned in the other thread, when I watched Trayanum - it must have been during the 2020 season - he looked like a stud as a true freshman and I believe was the starter. 

Quinn Ewers, the number 1 rated QB who skipped his senior season to start at OSU, has entered the transfer portal.  The reports say he wants to return to Texas, but let's try to keep him in Ohio.  Let's get the new coach on board, and make a huge splash and pursue this QB.  I know it is a longshot, but let's shoot for the stars.  Big Ben was a MAC QB who will be in the HOF. Use that approach that he can achieve greatness from the MAC and Akron.  Ewers had a 7 figure NIL agreement.  Let's have some Akron businesses step up and match it and let's make a push for this guy.  Worst case, it shows the top players that Akron means business as the roster gets many top transfers as the youngsters mature.  

Go Zips

48 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Quinn Ewers, the number 1 rated QB who skipped his senior season to start at OSU, has entered the transfer portal.  The reports say he wants to return to Texas, but let's try to keep him in Ohio.  Let's get the new coach on board, and make a huge splash and pursue this QB.  I know it is a longshot, but let's shoot for the stars.  Big Ben was a MAC QB who will be in the HOF. Use that approach that he can achieve greatness from the MAC and Akron.  Ewers had a 7 figure NIL agreement.  Let's have some Akron businesses step up and match it and let's make a push for this guy.  Worst case, it shows the top players that Akron means business as the roster gets many top transfers as the youngsters mature.  

Go Zips

It's not the early 2000s anymore. There's precisely 0 chance a MAC QB has a shot at the NFL other than changing positions.

Though why not go for him?  However: there are other QBs on other benches that probably stand a better chance of landing.

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Go Zips

The odds that he had a 7 figure NIL seems plausible as long as two of the figures appeared to the right of the decimal point.

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

O.K. Let me modify my previous comment to "the odds that he collects on a 7 figure NIL dramatically increase if two of the digits are to the right of the decimal point."