Transfer Portal

John Ward

3 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

It's not the early 2000s anymore. There's precisely 0 chance a MAC QB has a shot at the NFL other than changing positions.

Though why not go for him?  However: there are other QBs on other benches that probably stand a better chance of landing.

Well that's not remotely accurate. Carson Wentz was just drafted #2 overall a few years ago from an FCS program. If you're good enough, the NFL will find you.

That said, no 5* prospect would join a MAC team. Any NFL caliber QB on a MAC squad would be a 3* recruit who was a late bloomer.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Well that's not remotely accurate. Carson Wentz was just drafted #2 overall a few years ago from an FCS program. If you're good enough, the NFL will find you.

That said, no 5* prospect would join a MAC team. Any NFL caliber QB on a MAC squad would be a 3* recruit who was a late bloomer.

Carson Wentz is the exception to the rule. And FCS team that had like what...a decade of success that is vastly superior to any level of success by any MAC team? Like get out of here. Comparing any school in the MAC to South Dakota State is laughably stupid. They clearly benefit form non-existent market competition, and actually have had success making it a prime spot for a talented QB like Carson Wentz to go to.

The proof is in the statistics, no the cherry-picked exceptions to the rule.  If you're a QB who legitimately thinks you've got a shot at the NFL, you aren't choosing MAC schools.  You're choosing to do what Baker Mayfield did; gambling as a walkon somewhere else.

The Last MAC QBs were Byron Leftwich and Ben Rothlisberger. Julian Ettlemen switched to WR. Jordan Lynch wasn't even taken in the draft. Like what I said isn't even remotely "controversial". Only like 4-5 QBs in the past 21 years from the MAC have have been taken as QBs in the NFL. And the two that had actual careers were taken in the Early 2000s when I was in middle school.

Edited by TheZipCat

1 hour ago, TheZipCat said:

Carson Wentz is the exception to the rule. And FCS team that had like what...a decade of success that is vastly superior to any level of success by any MAC team? Like get out of here. Comparing any school in the MAC to South Dakota State is laughably stupid. They clearly benefit form non-existent market competition, and actually have had success making it a prime spot for a talented QB like Carson Wentz to go to.

The proof is in the statistics, no the cherry-picked exceptions to the rule.  If you're a QB who legitimately thinks you've got a shot at the NFL, you aren't choosing MAC schools.  You're choosing to do what Baker Mayfield did; gambling as a walkon somewhere else.

The Last MAC QBs were Byron Leftwich and Ben Rothlisberger. Julian Ettlemen switched to WR. Jordan Lynch wasn't even taken in the draft. Like what I said isn't even remotely "controversial". Only like 4-5 QBs in the past 21 years from the MAC have have been taken as QBs in the NFL. And the two that had actual careers were taken in the Early 2000s when I was in middle school.

Wentz had only one scholarship offer to an FBS school coming out of high school. That means pretty much everyone missed him. He went to NDSU because he didn't have many options. It happens, some guys get missed because they played at small schools or because things clicked late for them.

Josh Allen went to Wyoming. Derek Carr went to Fresno State. Jimmy Garroppolo went to Eastern Illinois. This shows you not all QBs went to P5 programs. Some fall through the cracks. That is fact. To say you have a 0% chance of making it in the NFL if you go to a MAC school is perhaps the worst take I've heard on this forum. Is it a lower percentage than if you went to OSU or Alabama, definitely. But it's not 0%.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Wentz had only one scholarship offer to an FBS school coming out of high school. That means pretty much everyone missed him. He went to NDSU because he didn't have many options. It happens, some guys get missed because they played at small schools or because things clicked late for them.

Josh Allen went to Wyoming. Derek Carr went to Fresno State. Jimmy Garroppolo went to Eastern Illinois. This shows you not all QBs went to P5 programs. Some fall through the cracks. That is fact. To say you have a 0% chance of making it in the NFL if you go to a MAC school is perhaps the worst take I've heard on this forum. Is it a lower percentage than if you went to OSU or Alabama, definitely. But it's not 0%.

There are a lot of young men that fall thru the cracks because I seriously believe that a lot of coaches are poor evaluators of talent.We should all know this to well.There are too many Johnnys & Joes. Too many kids whose daddies are coaches ex coaches or ex players. Perfect example UC football. Daddies boys are not playing but geez.

8 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Jordan Lynch, Heisman candidate

Cooper Rush: Undrafted Free Agent QB.
Jordan Lynch: FORMER undrafted free agent QB.

My argument still stands.  Goodluck selling that to a highly recruited transfer QB.  I'm not saying there aren't great QBs we can get to come here...but let's not pretend the selling point is that you have a shot at the NFL. Like it's cringeworthy LoLz to think that's the selling point.

13 hours ago, bigjim said:

Quinn Ewers, the number 1 rated QB who skipped his senior season to start at OSU, has entered the transfer portal.  The reports say he wants to return to Texas, but let's try to keep him in Ohio.  Let's get the new coach on board, and make a huge splash and pursue this QB.  I know it is a longshot, but let's shoot for the stars.  Big Ben was a MAC QB who will be in the HOF. Use that approach that he can achieve greatness from the MAC and Akron.  Ewers had a 7 figure NIL agreement.  Let's have some Akron businesses step up and match it and let's make a push for this guy.  Worst case, it shows the top players that Akron means business as the roster gets many top transfers as the youngsters mature.  

Go Zips

Thank you for the posters who provided data to support my statement.

My point is that no stone should be left unturned in the search for top talent.  Could Arth approach a top player like Ewers and discuss Akron as a potential option for football and school?  Not a chance.  Could a former SEC coach and OC at Penn State and Oregon approach this person?  You bet he can.  He has the pedigree to do so.  You all need to stop setting the bar so low.  Mr. Miller has raised the bar.  All of the alumni, coaches, and fans need to step up and do the same.  Go Zips!!!!!1

• Like 1

I think Moorhead and the Zips need to prove they can win before going after #1 rated prospects. 

I'm sure most prospects see Akron as a team that hasn't won anything significant ever, has small crowds/fanbases and realistically may never be able to make it to the playoffs. Would be tough to roll the dice. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

Cooper Rush: Undrafted Free Agent QB.
Jordan Lynch: FORMER undrafted free agent QB.

My argument still stands.  Goodluck selling that to a highly recruited transfer QB.  I'm not saying there aren't great QBs we can get to come here...but let's not pretend the selling point is that you have a shot at the NFL. Like it's cringeworthy LoLz to think that's the selling point.

Of course no 5* recruit regardless of position is going to come to the MAC. The point is you can still make it to the NFL from the MAC. NFL teams only care if you can help you win, not where you played. That's why D2 schools like Ashland even have get players drafted.

You're just moving the goal posts by disqualifying a player by adding an additional qualifier even though said player is currently on an NFL roster. Being an undrafted FA is still a pathway to the NFL. Cooper Rush was a MAC QB and Cooper Rush made it on an NFL roster therefore the premise that MAC QBs have 0% chance of making it into the NFL is a fallacy.

Ewers is the second highest rated QB recruit ever - second only to Vince Young. Let's apply some common sense and save the energy for realistic gets.

I do believe a number of 4 star guys will come to Akron, either the transfer route or true recruits. Moorhead instantly raises credibility for the program. Saquon Barkley, Trace McSorley, Mike Gesicki all played for him at PSU, and THRIVED. That is a selling point to recruits. It wasn't too long ago that the MAC had the #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft, and a few years later had a WR drafted in the top 10. Moorhead will be able to sell himself and Akron to that caliber of player, and/or develop that caliber. If I remember correctly, he even had NFL talent at UCONN, which has been dormant in football since his departure. This hire received heavy coverage from the National Media. People will be paying attention to Akron football, so these kids will have quite the spotlight to be seen to and get to the next level. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigjim said:

Thank you for the posters who provided data to support my statement.

My point is that no stone should be left unturned in the search for top talent.  Could Arth approach a top player like Ewers and discuss Akron as a potential option for football and school?  Not a chance.  Could a former SEC coach and OC at Penn State and Oregon approach this person?  You bet he can.  He has the pedigree to do so.  You all need to stop setting the bar so low.  Mr. Miller has raised the bar.  All of the alumni, coaches, and fans need to step up and do the same.  Go Zips!!!!!1

There is less than ZERO chance that Quinn Ewers would ever come to any G5 school, let alone Akron. He wouldn’t know Joe Moorhead if he came up and bit him. Ewers is a complete hype product of 247 sports . He was completely outplayed and had his ass kicked by Cade Klubnik in the Texas championships last year. Watch the video available of the game without determining which QB is whom and tell me who is the better QB. The media has blown so much smoke up this kids ass, I wouldn’t be surprised he becomes Tate Martell 2.0.

And BTW, for all those thinking a freshmen QB is following Moorhead, no way. No Oregon QB is following the coach to Akron. The highly recruited freshmen will take over next year for Brown who sucked, yet Moorhead played. The others are no more proven than what we have at Akron, and even if there was a question, the type of kid who goes to Oregon is easily swayed by all the Nike BS uniforms and their multi hundred million dollar locker room and facilities. Akron has nice MAC facilities but it’s an outhouse compared to Oregon. Give me the kids who wanted to come to Akron originally.

Edited by Zipped Up

20 minutes ago, Zipped Up said:

There is less than ZERO chance that Quinn Ewers would ever come to any G5 school, let alone Akron. He wouldn’t know Joe Moorhead if he came up and bit him. Ewers is a complete hype product of 247 sports . He was completely outplayed and had his ass kicked by Cade Klubnik in the Texas championships next year. Watch the video available of the game without determining which QB is whom and tell me who is the better QB. The media has blown so much smoke up this kids ass, I wouldn’t be surprised he becomes Tate Martell 2.0.

And BTW, for all those thinking a freshmen QB is following Moorhead, no way. No Oregon QB is following the coach to Akron. The highly recruited freshmen will take over next year for Brown who sucked, yet Moorhead played. The others are no more proven than what we have at Akron, and even if there was a question, the type of kid who goes to Oregon is easily swayed by all the Nike BS uniforms and their multi hundred million dollar locker room and facilities. Akron has nice MAC facilities but it’s an outhouse compared to Oregon. Give me the kid who wanted to come to come to Akron originally.

I'll even admit I didn't know much about Joe Moorhead until a week ago. I watch a decent amount of college football and remember a coordinator leaving PSU to coach MSU. But honestly couldn't tell you his name or what has happened to him since. Not saying it isn't a great hire for UA. But this isn't a household name coming in.

On top of that if we reach the point we all hope to, how long will Moorhead be a Zip? How can you sit there and tell a 4-5* recruit to turn down P5 schools. Then join a MAC school that you are committed to turning around. Which, if that happens, means you'll be gone before he can graduate. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Thanks 1

The sky is not falling folks. If the program success over the next couple of years was based on one player then the Zips have bigger problems. Let’s celebrate Konata and wish him well. He has the chance to find his way on to a P5 school. Moorhead is the real deal and he is going to find several guys with Konata’s skill level. 

• Like 4