Transfer Portal

John Ward

The transfer portal is a horrible thing if you believe college football was something it simply wasn't before the transfer portal. NIL is a horrible thing if you believe college football was something it simply wasn't before NIL.

The transfer portal started in 2018. Since then, college football has only gotten better. Covid has thrown a wrench into things for a year, but coming out of it, we have had the most exciting year of college football in my lifetime. The competition between teams has been great. Where there is better competition, there is better entertainment. Where there is better entertainment, there is more excitement.

There is a new complexity to college football and the transfer portal is contributing to that complexity. I drive a lot and I can't tell you all how much I looked forward to turning on ESPNU from 10-1 every weekday this year to listen to Neuheisel talk about college football. He is so much better on the radio because he is a really smart guy who can expand on issues more than when he is on CBS television. He is awesome at distilling the complexity.

How entertained are NIU fans with their Michigan State (?) transfer QB? We can be the next NIU!

Embrace the transfer portal. It will be our friend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I'm not totally sold on it. The Portal isn't going anywhere, and student athletes now have the same ability to come-and-go as coaches...but I don't think it is good for college football.

I would be pulling my hair out as a coach after spending a ton of time wooing a kid, only to have him bolt the program for any of the myriad of reason kids transfer now-a-days. 

I hate that Senior Day now consists of clapping for a bunch of mercenary grad students that you watched for a year or two. 

I like that the portal allows a downtrodden program like the Zips to get mature bodies and turn things around quickly. But I don't like that future "stars" bolt early (Mumpfield could have broken Matt Cherry and Jabari's records, and now he's gone). It's a shame a Freshman that doesn't get immediate PT bolts a team like the Zips, where he'd have been a starter as a Junior/Senior, and ends up at Slippery Rock. 

Hopefully Moorhead and his staff can create a culture where the bulk of kids the kids buy-in to each other, and being a Zip, and don't feel like starting over elsewhere. 

I think the surprisingly low number of incumbent Zips in the portal today (I expected 20+ by now) speaks to them enjoying the UA experience, and seeing some hope that the new regime will give them a chance to start winning at the place where they've invested so much to-date.

Well stated.  I miss the days of committed coaches and 4 year players.  That being said, this is the current state of college athletics with transient coaches and athletes.

As for the portal, I tend to like it when good players come to the team I am rooting for and don't like it when they leave!

Exactly @GP1. A lot of national/P5 talking heads bash the Transfer Portal, using the same BS talking points. "Kids are running from adversity," is probably the most common one. I think part of the bashing is how much it harms the NCAA's moneymaker - P5s.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

11 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Exactly @GP1. A lot of national/P5 talking heads bash the Transfer Portal, using the same BS talking points. "Kids are running from adversity," is probably the most common one. I think part of the bashing is how much it harms the NCAA's moneymaker - P5s.

The organizations it will most harm are the elites at the P5 level. Their control over labor has been deminished. Control is a difficult thing to give up. They can no longer offer a kid a scholarship so another school can't get him and then just sit on him for four years. OSU did this to a kid from my school this year. He is not an OSU player and will be in the portal within two years. 

On 11/29/2021 at 9:15 PM, bigjim said:

I looked at the portal this evening after the news of Zach Gibson throwing his hat in the game.  Michael Scott also entered the portal on Saturday and Teon Dollard on 11/10/21.  I had noticed Gavin Blunt was taken off the roster in the fall, and now I see he entered the portal on 9/30.  Also, per the portal, Bryce Peterson has yet to land with a team.  

What are Dollard's realistic chances of being picked up by someone? Maybe another hard-up G5? Would kinda suck if he ended up playing against us.

51 minutes ago, John Ward said:

And yet we still sitting doing nothing . I  don’t care who da heck our coach is. We missing out and if a baller wants to play at UA who da hell he reaching out too. This is crazy !

What's crazy is your ongoing rant about something you assume  is not happening and in all likelihood are completely wrong about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3