Transfer Portal

John Ward

I haven't spent enough time thinking about it...but my off the cuff thoughts are how so? There are still the same amount of scholarships available (up to 85 per team). These players transferring may be taking up a spot on a new team, but are opening one on their old team. There's obviously different approaches on how to build a team, but I fail to see how an argument can be made that there are less opportunities for high school kids (if that is indeed the case). Once again, haven't spent much time thinking about it.

Edited by LZIp

6 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I haven't spent enough time thinking about it...but my off the cusp thoughts are how so? There are still the same amount of scholarships available (up to 85 per team). These players transferring may be taking up a spot on a new team, but are opening one on their old team. There's obviously different approaches on how to build a team, but I fail to see how an argument can be made that there are less opportunities for high school kids (if that is indeed the case). Once again, haven't spent much time thinking about it.

So in the past many kids have walked away from football because of many challenges.  It’s very difficult, numerous things that put a kid down on the depth chart & they finally say I’m not working this hard with no chance in site

Now it’s just I can make it somewhere else, hit the portal

takes away from the fringe high school players cause those kids quit in the past & now they can just change schools at least once and on top of the 4 game red shirt & free Covid year it’s more difficult than ever to get recruited for the not so obvious college players

it will get better but it’s difficult right now

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

So in the past many kids have walked away from football because of many challenges.  It’s very difficult, numerous things that put a kid down on the depth chart & they finally say I’m not working this hard with no chance in site

Now it’s just I can make it somewhere else, hit the portal

takes away from the fringe high school players cause those kids quit in the past & now they can just change schools at least once and on top of the 4 game red shirt & free Covid year it’s more difficult than ever to get recruited for the not so obvious college players

it will get better but it’s difficult right now

Well said. We're going to see a record number of 6th year seniors coming up in a few years, and once this wave passes, it will be tougher than it was in the past, but not as tough as it is right now. Truly a strange time in college athletics, but it will all balance out.

There are lots of high 3 star players from P5 schools all over the portal. With our new and experienced coaching staff, I sure hope we can convince several of them to come to Akron. There are also some 4 star as well, but I'm not sure we can get any of them, but here's hoping!

I'm looking forward to the day a decent journalist does an in-depth story on the kids who enter the portal with delusions of grandeur, and then afterwards lament they didn't know how good they had it at their original school.

I have to believe the horror stories outweigh the successes pretty heavily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I'm looking forward to the day a decent journalist does an in-depth story on the kids who enter the portal with delusions of grandeur, and then afterwards lament they didn't know how good they had it at their original school.

I have to believe the horror stories outweigh the successes pretty heavily.

Most probably had delusions of grandeur before entering their first school. From what I can tell from the little I follow social media, the modern parents have delusions of grandeur as well. The third string bench warmer is certain to get some Tweets about him from himself and his parents. Then there will be a few reTweets from those who follow this kind of stuff so in the player's and parents eyes he has gone from third string bench warmer nobody cared about to an actual somebody. It's better than the nothing he was getting before. This is why when I think about whether the portal will be the new normal or a fad, I lean towards it being the new normal.

16 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Snipe all you want, but this coach and staff know exactly what they are doing. Trust the process. They are getting the talent we need, just not the way you want. I trust their competence over your preference. Perhaps over the last three years you have forgotten what competence is. It is easy to forget when it is nowhere present so I guess you can be forgiven. You are forgiven my son, now go in peace and say five Hail JoeMO's. 

You must understand when I see scholarship kids playing and playing bad over the yrs and the under recruited kids or non recruited kids from Akron playing very little until they finally get in the game and now are in the portal getting offers from P5 schools. The evaluators of talent did not exist and I know all about Moorehead .  

1 hour ago, John Ward said:

You must understand when I see scholarship kids playing and playing bad over the yrs and the under recruited kids or non recruited kids from Akron playing very little until they finally get in the game and now are in the portal getting offers from P5 schools. The evaluators of talent did not exist and I know all about Moorehead .  

The evaluators of talent must have existed; how else could they have made bad evaluations?

What do you know about Moorehead; is he related to our new head football coach Joe Moorhead?

Hypocrite Lane Kiffin explaining/whining about the transfer portal.  Pretty interesting perspective from a guy who's jumped from one job to the next for a better opportunity/more money.  Hypocrite.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lane-kiffin-on-the-transfer-portal-players-transfer-to-where-theyre-going-to-get-paid-the-most-183610273.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Hypocrite Lane Kiffin explaining/whining about the transfer portal.  Pretty interesting perspective from a guy who's jumped from one job to the next for a better opportunity/more money.  Hypocrite.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lane-kiffin-on-the-transfer-portal-players-transfer-to-where-theyre-going-to-get-paid-the-most-183610273.html

This is one of my favorite takes yet. How tone deaf can you be?

Further proves how detrimental this is to P5 schools. I love it.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, John Ward said:

Clearly we had zero evaluators of talent thats why we won 3 games in 3 yrs. 

That's one thing we can all agree on. I'm excited to see what coach JoeMo can do.

14 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Interesting. It's new and things will have to settle down.  But this might be the new normal.

Isn't the current problem more related to COVID and the extra year being given to 4 or 5 classes of student-athletes?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Well, two I guess 😂

I liked Rummler. Two others I like are still at their original destinations: Daryl Peterson at Wisky and A.J. Kirk at Michigan State. Maybe next year…🙏🤞🙏🤞

Brayden Fox flamed out at Rutgers

Todd Sibley was going to be a star at Ohio State until they pulled their offer and he became Van Edwards at Pitt

Danny Clark has been on like 10 different rosters across all levels of college football after Ohio State pulled their offer

There are plenty of others that I've seen as well, it's very strange.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoyalZIP said:

Brayden Fox flamed out at Rutgers

Todd Sibley was going to be a star at Ohio State until they pulled their offer and he became Van Edwards at Pitt

Danny Clark has been on like 10 different rosters across all levels of college football after Ohio State pulled their offer

There are plenty of others that I've seen as well, it's very strange.

It’s not easy, 1% of high school football players play D1 football.  I don’t think you flame out because you hit the portal.  Fox was IMO never a Big 10 player, Dad & Uncle both being Big 10 players & playing at Hoban helped him.  Playing at Hoban and being a multiple State Champion may have got some players above the level they really are.  Rumler is not a flame out, he came home and he will probably do well at Kent.  Todd Sibley is a 6th year Senior at Pitt and got a Masters degree.  Didn’t really play but IMO that isn’t a flame out.  Used his talent to get a Masters

This seems like the right thread to discuss the ever-changing landscape of college football recruiting/transfers. 

No. 1 recruit Travis Hunter commits to Deion Sanders and Jackson State

I'd imagine NIL money is involved, but this is a massive domino to fall. The trail of dominoes that follow this could lead to other G5 schools landing big time recruits. The staff Moorhead is putting together, including himself, cannot hurt in hopes of being one of those G5 schools. 

12 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This seems like the right thread to discuss the ever-changing landscape of college football recruiting/transfers. 

No. 1 recruit Travis Hunter commits to Deion Sanders and Jackson State

I'd imagine NIL money is involved, but this is a massive domino to fall. The trail of dominoes that follow this could lead to other G5 schools landing big time recruits. The staff Moorhead is putting together, including himself, cannot hurt in hopes of being one of those G5 schools. 

Not sure of the accuracy, but I heard he got $1 mil from Barstool Sports and another $1 million from Jerry Jones to go to Jackson State. We don't have that kind of booster money.

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Not sure of the accuracy, but I heard he got $1 mil from Barstool Sports and another $1 million from Jerry Jones to go to Jackson State. We don't have that kind of booster money.

NIL money is not supposed to be contingent on attending a school or performance. I understand thats the way it is right now, but the system needs fixed and isn't working the way it was intended, IMO.