Transfer Portal

John Ward

I guess that I don't buy that there were that many FBS players that just quit football in the past. I'd buy that it hurts FCS teams. Before kids would go down to not skip a year. Now, they give another shot in FBS. However, there's not going to be anything out there with numbers on this so we aren't going to make any headway here lol

The extra year of covid definitely impacted those numbers. Schools that may have had 20 scholarships available in a normal year now have 14-15 as they now have a handful of 6th year seniors. I'd expect that Ohio number to climb into the 80s by the time schools fill out what's left of their roster. You have to remember a lot of recruits reopened their recruiting process once the coaches that they committed to were fired.

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

RB from Minnesota

What went into Cam Wiley's decision to transfer?

Fleck: "Once they hit the portal, my philosophy is I don't really say much about them, but Cam Wiley is an awesome young man, and I'm sad to see him go. But there's some reasons why he wanted to go and get closer to home and his family and I wish him all the best and I support him 100%. 

But like I said before. This is the offseason that is the second year of that portal being open and people able to know what it's like and all over the country, that's going to happen more and more. Especially whether they have depth charts, whether they get closer to home, whether they have family issues, whether they have these things that the portals designed for the young players to have opportunities that fit them really well. Whether they stay or whether they go. And everybody has a different personal situation. And I think that's what it was designed for to make sure that the student athlete has the ability to you know find the proper home or get closer to home, or whatever their circumstances are. 

They have the ability without being punished to be able to make their life better. Their personal life better, and again, I support him 100%. Again, I'm going to miss him as he's a really good person and I had a wonderful talk with him. And we wish him all the best."

• Like 1

Transfer Portal.

Great topic.  Horrific idea.

The TP is a microcosm of society. No rules, no laws, no morals, not about working hard, doing the right thing, it’s about quitting and it’s all about me, me, me. The team concept is gone. Ditto for NIL.  That said, it’s here to stay and we need to be the first to hire a Transfer Portal coach and hopefully Mr. Leaf Filter can fund our NIL account.

Clearly, I side more with CK than GP1 on this topic, but we need to deal with it and figure out a way to at least make the rules neutral for UA.  The NCAA would never institute new rules or policies designed to help out the G5, so while the TP does give us more flexibility to fill gaps, how much fun is it to root for a team full of one- year players?   Furthermore, the thought of developing guys for two or three years and then they wake up one day and decide to leave just because they can is bs.  Hell, it’s been 30 years since Anthony Buford left the hoops team to follow Huggins to UC and he actually had to follow the rules, sit out a year and he followed his coach, but I’m still pissed that after three years with UA he left.  I still don’t consider him a Zip.  Zips are forever or is it Forever a Zip?

I think the TP will help teams like Purdue to get a player or two that they would not have had a chance to recruit out of high school, and of course it gives P5 schools the opportunity to fill gaps with older and hopefully more mature players but it will not impact the top 10 teams at all.  For every 4 star player OSU might lose, they can fill the gaps with another teams 4 star upper classmen.   

As for the Zips, I hate to see Gibson, Mathison and Mumpfield go.  Personally, I thought Gibson had great MAC upside and I said this after the shortened ‘20 season.  He and his mom will be missed.  Are there any Zip fans out there who has the time to create a spreadsheet and follow the Zips-out versus the Zips-in via the portal to see if we are benefiting from the portal or is the portal a detriment.

Lastly, @bigjim, is that you?

• Like 4

I'm surprised there is so much discussion on the Transfer Portal. It is here to stay. The coaches and the NCAA brought this on when coaches began breaking contracts and leaving for greener pastures with no responsibility or accountability to the programs (or contracts) they were leaving. It was just a matter of time before the players got equal treatment. The NCAA is complicit because they prioritized money over all else when they allowed the P5 CFP to be formed and become independent. They surrendered any authority to protect the best interests of the game. As most of us thought they never really cared to begin with. The NCAA further feared lawsuits and the loss of money from players who sought NIL. It was approved and the players got more power. The NCAA gave in to that growing power by creating the Transfer Portal to show players were not employees and therefore could not unionize thus allowing schools and the NCAA to keep their money. The TP is here to stay and I have a hard time criticizing any player who uses it. That being said I hate losing Matheson and Mumpfield.

31 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

They surrendered any authority to protect the best interests of the game. As most of us thought they never really cared to begin with. The NCAA further feared lawsuits and the loss of money from players who sought NIL. It was approved and the players got more power. 

They didn't surrender. They lost a Supreme Court case. 

They didn't care about a lot of things, especially the players. Everyone was making more and more money except the players. The injustice became obvious and gross.

The best thing about nil and TR is they eliminated much of the sleazy stuff that went on in college athletics and brought the rest of the sleazy stuff into the spotlight. The sleaze always favored the power programs. Schools can't hog up recruits to keep a kid from another school knowing full well the kid will never see the field. There are no more envelopes full if cash taped to the bottom of chairs in basketball arenas that players pick up once a week. Sunlight is the best antiseptic. 

The TP will give Akron something it desperately needs.... Something that can save the football program from another "building process".  

I'm not a person that gets sentimental about college athletes. I find myself to be like the gangster in this video. Captain Kangaroo and ZipsWin! are the kid in the Yankees hat. 

Just win baby.

2 hours ago, Zips Win! said:

Transfer Portal.

Great topic.  Horrific idea.

The TP is a microcosm of society. No rules, no laws, no morals, not about working hard, doing the right thing, it’s about quitting and it’s all about me, me, me. The team concept is gone. Ditto for NIL.  That said, it’s here to stay and we need to be the first to hire a Transfer Portal coach and hopefully Mr. Leaf Filter can fund our NIL account.

Clearly, I side more with CK than GP1 on this topic, but we need to deal with it and figure out a way to at least make the rules neutral for UA.  The NCAA would never institute new rules or policies designed to help out the G5, so while the TP does give us more flexibility to fill gaps, how much fun is it to root for a team full of one- year players?   Furthermore, the thought of developing guys for two or three years and then they wake up one day and decide to leave just because they can is bs.  Hell, it’s been 30 years since Anthony Buford left the hoops team to follow Huggins to UC and he actually had to follow the rules, sit out a year and he followed his coach, but I’m still pissed that after three years with UA he left.  I still don’t consider him a Zip.  Zips are forever or is it Forever a Zip?

I think the TP will help teams like Purdue to get a player or two that they would not have had a chance to recruit out of high school, and of course it gives P5 schools the opportunity to fill gaps with older and hopefully more mature players but it will not impact the top 10 teams at all.  For every 4 star player OSU might lose, they can fill the gaps with another teams 4 star upper classmen.   

As for the Zips, I hate to see Gibson, Mathison and Mumpfield go.  Personally, I thought Gibson had great MAC upside and I said this after the shortened ‘20 season.  He and his mom will be missed.  Are there any Zip fans out there who has the time to create a spreadsheet and follow the Zips-out versus the Zips-in via the portal to see if we are benefiting from the portal or is the portal a detriment.

Lastly, @bigjim, is that you?

Excellent post.  I am very excited by the Moorhead hiring, but the college football revolving door is exhausting.  I find it uninteresting to: A) follow player comings and goings, B) follow young adults social media accounts to gauge their interest in our team, and C) support "student-athletes" that have zero allegiance to a school.  The entire system has the stench of professional sports free agency.  Zips will be the farm system for bigger programs to pick a (hopefully) bountiful crop of productive players.  Reminds me of the Seinfeld philosophy of "you are just cheering for the laundry."

I hate what college football has become. I want to root for our players for 4 yrs. But that is over. As a fan, you have to adjust or find another activity. So- why invest your support for a player like Mumpfield who develops with the school that gave him a shot and then leaves hoping to be in the 2% that makes the pros. Maybe he makes it but the other two likely will not. The Portal offers Akron a better chance as the rules are at the moment. If they find good players with multiple years of eligibility, those players actually have more loyalty to the program as they likely can’t move again. We should see this as an opportunity if the coaches pursue the right player options. Over 2000 in the portal- not all will get solid options- some have made a bad choice.

What I don't get is why he thought he needed to leave to have a chance at the NFL. Now would be the time to play at Akron to have a shot to make it with a offensive minded coach who is competent. Be the big fish in a small pond. If your a good enough WR for the league they will find you. Just ask Dominik Hixon, Jojo Natson, Cory Davis , Julian Edelman, Josh Cribs, Greg Jennings, .....

15 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

What I don't get is why he thought he needed to leave to have a chance at the NFL. 

You are correct. There are approximately 65 active MAC players on NFL rosters. If you are good enough, you will be found. 

Edited by GP1
  • Like 1

I don’t blame Mumpfield, Gibson & Mathison for transferring this year. They were recruited by Arth & were very close to Arth & frankly, may secretly hope Moorhead crashes & burns. Idk.  We are losing 3 good ones in those guys, no doubt, but let’s wait & see if we lose any/many top players once Moorhead brings his own players in.  I still think we’ll end up getting more good players filtering “down” to us than we’ll lose. But we’ll see. 

• Like 1