Transfer Portal

John Ward

Good for Zach. He took an absolute beating during his 3 freshman years as a Zip. All for 3 lousy wins. 

Same for Matheson. I loved him, but he paid his dues and deserves to go wherever he wants. 

100% confident Joe will quickly find replacements as good as, or better than those two guys. And put them is a much better position to win than Zach and Michael ever had.

Unless Joe brings in an eye-popping QB transfer, I'm still high on Irons. Joe will fix his ball security issues and give him a much better line to throw behind.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Zach Gibson has agreed to attend Georgia Tech per the Transfer Portal.  Just lost a very good player.  

Looking a little crowded in their QB room.

Brock Vandagriff 6-3 205 Fr.

Bogart, Ga. / Prince Avenue Christian School

Stetson Bennett 5-11 190 Sr.

Blackshear, Ga. / Pierce County Jones College (Miss.)

Jackson Muschamp 6-2 190 R-Fr.

Columbia, S.C. / Hammond School

Carson Beck 6-4 215 R-Fr.

Jacksonville, Fla. / Mandarin

JT Daniels 6-3 210 Jr.

Irvine, Calif. / Mater Dei Southern California

Nathan Priestley 6-4 205 R-So.

Los Angeles, Ca. / Loyola

Collin Drake 6-1 195 Fr.

Ennis, Texas / Ennis

Zack Pyron  6-3 215  22 recruiting class   

20 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Has offers from Tulane, SMU, Rutgers, Syracuse, Hawaii, Minnesota, Georgia Southern, Toledo, and Virgina.

He's a good DT but I am not sure what he is waiting for because he probably won't get any offers beyond what he has.  All of these programs have more money than ULM but not sure any will give him more or better playing opportunities. 

Zac Alley is a rising star and won't be at ULM as a DC for long. It will be a miracle if Bowden is able to keep him for a second season.

29 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

JT Daniels 6-3 210 Jr.

Collin Drake 6-1 195 Fr.

Ennis, Texas / Ennis

That's the Georgia Bulldogs' QB room. Here is the Rambling Wreck's...

image.png.a5be4e50df27079dfca30527241c533b.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

JT Daniels 6-3 210 Jr.

Collin Drake 6-1 195 Fr.

Ennis, Texas / Ennis

Edited by John Ward

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

JT Daniels 6-3 210 Jr.

Collin Drake 6-1 195 Fr.

Ennis, Texas / Ennis

Can’t see him beating out JT Daniels.

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Good for Zach. He took an absolute beating during his 3 freshman years as a Zip. All for 3 lousy wins. 

Same for Matheson. I loved him, but he paid his dues and deserves to go wherever he wants. 

100% confident Joe will quickly find replacements as good as, or better than those two guys. And put them is a much better position to win than Zach and Michael ever had.

Unless Joe brings in an eye-popping QB transfer, I'm still high on Irons. Joe will fix his ball security issues and give him a much better line to throw behind.

Again, I disagree with your post.  I do not want to lose Zach, but he is with Georgia Tech per the TP.  He has grown tremendously over the last couple of years and shown that he was a very good QB. He could have led the Zips to a conference title and beyond.  Betting on Irons will want me to cancel my season tickets; he cannot hold a candle to Gibson.  Akron has to keep the good players that they have and let the stragglers go and enter the transfer portal.  This comment also applies to Mathison, Mumpfield, and Qualls.  I do want Coach Joe to bring in new and improved players, but please, keep the good players you have.  Merry Zipmas

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Got to agree with the Captain on this one. In Joe we trust.

I also offer good luck to Zach. I do not believe that GT gave him a scholarship. Preferred walk-on maybe, but little else. He just wanted to get the hell away from Akron and he succeeded. He should have stayed and benefited from a good, competent coaching staff, which he never had. But that's his decision. I do not share the attitude that he could have led us to better days. His improvement over the last 2 years has been admirable, but not to the level that we could win big. If he doesn't want to stay, thanks for your time here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bigjim said:

Zach Gibson has agreed to attend Georgia Tech per the Transfer Portal.  Just lost a very good player.  

Above, ZipsWin! requested a spreadsheet to track the progress of players who transfer. Will need a column for GA Tech and a third school for this kid unless he just wants to graduate from Tech. Tech was one of only 4 ACC schools to not make a bowl. If you don't make a bowl as a P5 team, your team absolutely stinks. Their coach won't make it past next year. The new coach will look for his own transfer and Gibson will be out. 

If you know Atlanta, Tech would be a great place to go to school whether you play football or not. It also has a great alumni network. He should go to school there and if football doesn't work out, just stay in school and get a diploma. While I'm a supporter of the TP, a player (and those around him) who jumps 3 schools just isn't capable of admitting college football may not be the best thing for him. 

9 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I do not believe that GT gave him a scholarship. 

A MAC transfer isn't going to move the needle for a 3-9 school trying to get into a better position than barely edging out Duke for second to last place in the ACC Coastal. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bigjim said:

Again, I disagree with your post.  I do not want to lose Zach, but he is with Georgia Tech per the TP.  He has grown tremendously over the last couple of years and shown that he was a very good QB. He could have led the Zips to a conference title and beyond.  Betting on Irons will want me to cancel my season tickets; he cannot hold a candle to Gibson.  Akron has to keep the good players that they have and let the stragglers go and enter the transfer portal.  This comment also applies to Mathison, Mumpfield, and Qualls.  I do want Coach Joe to bring in new and improved players, but please, keep the good players you have.  Merry Zipmas

Are you really calling Mumpfield a straggler ? For God sakes he has just been offered by USC, KY etc. Don't think he is a straggler . How about a baller who was held back showcasing himself by a staff that looks like it was clueless to the talent they had.

17 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I also offer good luck to Zach. I do not believe that GT gave him a scholarship. Preferred walk-on maybe, but little else. He just wanted to get the hell away from Akron and he succeeded. He should have stayed and benefited from a good, competent coaching staff, which he never had. But that's his decision. I do not share the attitude that he could have led us to better days. His improvement over the last 2 years has been admirable, but not to the level that we could win big. If he doesn't want to stay, thanks for your time here. 

You sure about Gibson being a walk on? Im guessing little bro made it a package deal. You do realize his bro signed there.?

1 hour ago, John Ward said:

Are you really calling Mumpfield a straggler ? For God sakes he has just been offered by USC, KY etc. Don't think he is a straggler . How about a baller who was held back showcasing himself by a staff that looks like it was clueless to the talent they had.

Absolutely not.  I am calling him (along with Mathison and Qualls)  a good player, and that may be shorting him.  I think they are very good players.  My point is that there are a lot of players on the roster that do not deserve to be D1 and if they would leave, we would never miss them.  Please re-read my post.  I did not call Mumpfield a straggler.  Merry Zipmas!!!

• Like 1

I enjoy you all posting the "I am thankful" tweets, but i am an old lady that does not tweet, so I don't know these players from Adam.  when you post one, would you mind giving a little more info on the individual, like HS or College he's curently with or leaving?  Thanks!

5 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

I enjoy you all posting the "I am thankful" tweets, but i am an old lady that does not tweet, so I don't know these players from Adam.  when you post one, would you mind giving a little more info on the individual, like HS or College he's curently with or leaving?  Thanks!

He is from FCS Tennessee Martin.  He is an OL and he was an FCS All American 

• Thanks 1