Transfer Portal

John Ward

50 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I can't help but think there is a back story to this. Michael is not going to a significantly better program. A case can be made that UA has a higher ceiling under JoMo than WKU does.  He seems to have made his decision well after the JoMo hiring and presumably the chance to talk to Joe and his position coach. So why leave? Under Joe he may get the ball more. There has to be more to this.

They won 9 games last year and played in a conference championship game

8 hours ago, zippy5 said:

They won 9 games last year and played in a conference championship game

And he won 3 games in three years at UA. If I'm him, I'm tired of getting pounded into the ground for nothing. 9 wins in one season sounds pretty good.

Hope he does well there.

All of Arth's best players have now left. Sans Bubba, and IMO Irons. You yank the band aid off, it stings for a few seconds...then it's fine.

Looking forward to seeing Joe's 32-player, transfer-heavy, high-impact recruiting class! 

• Like 3

I guess I looked at his transfer thru my Joe colored glasses. CK and Zippy made some good points. I still hate losing a good one that we had first crack at. Good luck Michael.

I think there's a "the grass is greener" aspect to the portal, with 20 year old kids making hasty decisions thinking they're going to a better place where they'll be more appreciated.

At 57 I certainly have a different perspective than a college kid.  If I was a legitimate D1 football player at UA from the Arth era (I'd be in the minority. LOL)  my thought would be that this is a program to soon be on the upswing with legitimate coaches that could help my future with immediately available playing time.  Stay and flourish rather than relocate with uncertainty.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs down 1

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think there's a "the grass is greener" aspect to the portal, with 20 year old kids making hasty decisions thinking they're going to a better place where they'll be more appreciated.

I think it is a huge fad right now. While it will always be around, I can see the volume declining over the years because I think for most kids it won't solve the problem they believe they are using it to solve, whatever that may be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

I think it is a huge fad right now. While it will always be around, I can see the volume declining over the years because I think for most kids it won't solve the problem they believe they are using it to solve, whatever that may be.

Yeah kids and their parents have never thought they were undervalued and would be a star if they just went to another school. 🙄napoleon dynamite GIF

Edited by gozips19

21 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

That's too bad.  I really liked AJ.  But I'd have to think that any players entering the TP now have either seen the writing on the wall or the coaches have had a heart-to-heart with them.

None the less, he was one of my favorite players.  

I completely agree. I think he's a starting caliber CB in the MAC, but we seem to be targeting DBs in the portal.

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't do Facebook.

But I'm assuming you are referring us to Adrian Martinez? Booty calls will no longer require long-distance car rides for him next season.

He had really good numbers for 2 of 3 years at Nebraska, and unfortunately a knack for making game-killing mistakes late in way too many games. If he could avoid injuries (which he was prone to as a Husker) he would make a decent defensive back at the next level. 

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

I don't do Facebook.

But I'm assuming you are referring us to Adrian Martinez? Booty calls will no longer require long-distance car rides for him next season.

He had really good numbers for 2 of 3 years at Nebraska, and unfortunately a knack for making game-killing mistakes late in way too many games. If he could avoid injuries (which he was prone to as a Husker) he would make a decent defensive back at the next level. 

Adrian Martinez is mentioned but it's a list of 3-4 players that all transferred to where their girlfriend plays sports. 

While killing time waiting for the next big Zips recruiting news, I visited the transfer portal and focused on the MAC from a slightly different perspective than I did last time.

The punter/kicker who committed to the Zips is not listed on 247 or here (probably a walk-on) but would be classified as a LOWER.

image.png.2f1442adce7d0c4313150b5a74a49190.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2022 at 12:42 PM, LZIp said:

Scrolling through the updated roster - only currently 2 scholarship players not on it that we weren't aware of - Vince Fonte and Andre Williams. Both were either low or non-contributors this past season.

I believe that I heard andre has stepped away and vincent was medically disqualified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As of late signing day, 247 sports has Akron as 55th best school in the country in use of transfer portal. We are 2nd in the MAC behind Buffalo’s terrific 20th ranking. Both of these schools are light years ahead of the rest of the league. Look for this to show up on the field. Coach Joe said to look for a significant shift even this fall in his recent comments on gozips.com

i

21 hours ago, adzip said:

As of late signing day, 247 sports has Akron as 55th best school in the country in use of transfer portal. We are 2nd in the MAC behind Buffalo’s terrific 20th ranking. Both of these schools are light years ahead of the rest of the league. Look for this to show up on the field. Coach Joe said to look for a significant shift even this fall in his recent comments on gozips.com

i

I like how 247 allows users to sort by Transfer, HS Recruit, and Overall. "Transfer" is so much more important now for G5 than it is for P5, so it's two different scoring standards (HS vs. Transfers). Transfer & Overall are what I like going by now.