Transfer Portal

John Ward

2 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

image.png.b3be3ea21f49d3fc810f66b9b6b7f281.png

“Group of five bottom feeder - Akron” sucks to read that in a story, but can’t say I disagree with the take. I am confident that things will turn around under Joe Moorhead. Best of luck to Mumpfield. I hope he excels at Pitt and eventually gets a shot at the NFL.

11 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

The transfer portal still has one 4* and ten 3* QBs looking for a new home.

any of these guys strike you fancy?

It's hard to see how any of these players as well as some ranked even lower couldn't help us.  It's also hard to see them coming here.  But there are also uncommitted so far so...........

JT Daniels was ranked along with Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence when he came out of high school for example.

image.thumb.png.695053cd57bd5f5eaa3a52a4c4a1aea4.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentZip said:

It's hard to see how any of these players as well as some ranked even lower couldn't help us.  It's also hard to see them coming here.  But there are also uncommitted so far so...........

JT Daniels was ranked along with Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence when he came out of high school for example.

Not to mention, given the experience on the coaching staff, it's hard to imagine our staff hasn't had previous contact with some if not all of the above at some point. It's not unfathomable to think we could land one of these guys if we wanted to. I definitely think we'll be adding a transfer QB soon enough, just a matter of who & when, not if.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KentZip said:

I heard some rumblings a month or so ago that they were going after Yates from GT, then signing day passed and there was nothing so I assumed it was just a rumor. Either way, I too would expect them to add one at some point and the more competition the better. 

We have five scholarships yet to give. Look for JoeMo to bring in more from the transfer portal after spring ball when players in P5 programs will find out they don't figure in the plans of their current schools. We will get a few more good players giving us a talent level that has grown exponentially over last year. In Joe we trust.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

We have five scholarships yet to give. Look for JoeMo to bring in more from the transfer portal after spring ball when players in P5 programs will find out they don't figure in the plans of their current schools. We will get a few more good players giving us a talent level that has grown exponentially over last year. In Joe we trust.

Great Post.  I have the following questions and comments.

1.  How do you know that we have 5 scholarships left?  Per GoZips, we signed 21 players and 3 PWO's.  I thought the number of signings this year was increased to 32, leaving us with 11 more potential signings.  With the comings and goings, I am curious how you track that number with all of the current roster players who may or may not be on scholarship.  Please educate me.  I am not saying you are wrong, I just want to learn.  

2.  I agree that many players will become available between now and fall season.  However, I think the same will happen to Akron and many more scholarships will become available.  I believe the staff will shed many players who are not D1 talent and have them move to FCS, DII, or DIII schools, so more scholarships will open up.

3.  I filed for a Trademark on 'In Joe We Trust'.  However, anyone on Zips Nation can use it.  So,

In Joe We Trust!!!

Jim,

My source is a member of our athletic administration staff. I was in the Tommy Evans lounge before the Kent game and we got talking about how Joe is reshaping the face of Akron football. He gave me the number left and I did not question it. He said Joe is confident the transfer portal will be very favorable to Akron and will play a prominent role in rebuilding the roster for at least two years. Whatever number we have to use going forward Joe will use them brilliantly. 

We did talk about Akron losing players after spring and it was acknowledged that we would experience it also. But in our case it will be addition by subtraction. We will lose the  underperforming players who will not see the field. No comments were made regarding if this would free up scholarships, but I think you are right to think that it has to free some up. 

Thank you for letting me use "In Joe We Trust". I know I'm special but I recommend you grant the privilege to other ZNO members.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Jim,

My source is a member of our athletic administration staff. I was in the Tommy Evans lounge before the Kent game and we got talking about how Joe is reshaping the face of Akron football. He gave me the number left and I did not question it. He said Joe is confident the transfer portal will be very favorable to Akron and will play a prominent role in rebuilding the roster for at least two years. Whatever number we have to use going forward Joe will use them brilliantly. 

We did talk about Akron losing players after spring and it was acknowledged that we would experience it also. But in our case it will be addition by subtraction. We will lose the  underperforming players who will not see the field. No comments were made regarding if this would free up scholarships, but I think you are right to think that it has to free some up. 

Thank you for letting me use "In Joe We Trust". I know I'm special but I recommend you grant the privilege to other ZNO members.

This is all very exciting information. Thank you for sharing. 

Regarding the bold part, was there any explanation given or details as to why he's confident the Transfer Portal will be favorable to Akron? Is it due to all of the P5 connections/backgrounds on the staff, his system, or all-but-guaranteed playing time?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Jim,

72 Roo, Thank you for such an informative post and you did the right think in keeping the anonymity of your source.  I would give you a 100 likes for the post if I could.   I agree that 5 more experienced transfers will transform the Zips football team.  We could be the 2022 version of No. Illinois, going from last to first in one season.  i still believe there is a lot of young talent on the roster that will be supplemented with these transfers.  Also, per GoZips, there are 16 R-Sr and Sr players on the roster.  I do not know know if all are on scholarship, but if so, shedding some of the 'underperforming players' will open up scholly's for next years recruiting cycle.  I cannot wait to see what this staff does with a full year of recruiting.  

Go Zips!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This is all very exciting information. Thank you for sharing. 

Regarding the bold part, was there any explanation given or details as to why he's confident the Transfer Portal will be favorable to Akron? Is it due to all of the P5 connections/backgrounds on the staff, his system, or all-but-guaranteed playing time?

We did talk about how Joe feels about the program and its future. Insiders say Joe feels the program will make a quick turnaround and be competitive. He feels, according to my source, that players in the transfer portal will be interested in Akron because of the issues you stated i.e. staff relationships, system of play, early playing time. But there was more that warmed my heart. Simply, it's his belief Akron is packed with potential to dominate the MAC. We've got the stadium, indoor field house and hungry fanbase. He loves the alignment with president Gary Miller, the board of trustees and AD Charles Guthrie. They all have a common vision and it's focused on winning the MAC. Joe also is still pissed off regarding his treatment at Mississippi State, at which he never enjoyed the alignment he values. That drives him to show them (MSU) and his peers that he can lead a dominant program.  

I have such a good feeling about the new era of Akron football that we are entering. Joe will probably gets offers from other programs, but I feel he will only entertain Pitt or Penn State, due to proximity to family and size of program. If he gets those offers he will have been fabulously successful at UA and hopefully we will be able to keep success going. This is all my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I am so excited. When football is successful all Zip sports will benefit. Bring it on!

Since I have written permission from BigJim I'll close with In Joe We Trust. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

WVU is in trouble.

Can we land more WVU transfers?

Starting CB.

OLB/DL.

Wonder if Neal Brown regrets leaving Troy. Money obviously talks, but whether you've essentially got a lifetime contract at Troy if you maintain status quo or get paid at WVU for a few years, it's not like you're hurting either way.

43 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Wonder if Neal Brown regrets leaving Troy. Money obviously talks, but whether you've essentially got a lifetime contract at Troy if you maintain status quo or get paid at WVU for a few years, it's not like you're hurting either way.

$3M a year for a 17-18 overall record (11-15 conference record) in 3 seasons... I doubt Neal is regretting his decision but WVU is certainly having buyer's remorse. 

Neal will probably take a year off once he's fired (they should really fire him now to stop the bleeding) then come back with a G5 school and return to success.