Transfer Portal

John Ward

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I’m on my phone so can’t post pictures, but there’s a handful of guys hitting the Portal today.

Outside of marousek and Bischoff, I see Jake Miller, Bryce Proffitt, Kyle Bischoff, and Connor Francz. All new ones not previously mentioned in here are walkons as far as i know.

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Looks like Nick Dottore is also in the portal.

JoeMo is really showing these walk-ons who’s boss. 🙃

So the roster has all of the walk on transfers as well as Marousek and Bischoff off of it. Cloud is another one we didn't know about. Because of that, I'd think its completely updated as it stands today. I took a look and don't see any other scholarship players missing. Still should probably give it a few days though.

32 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

i am not interested in loosing walk-ons.  I want the coaching staff to shed the scholarship players who are not D1 or FBS talent.  This will open up additional transfer opportunities and allow the staff to recruit the full 25 man class this year.  

• Like 1

Thought on all these walk ons being shown the door: I don't know what our roster size was last year or will be this year (nor do I really care), but it looks like you can have a max of 125 players. No matter what we had in total, the fact is we had an excess number of walk ons on the team in recent years as a result of being well under the scholarship limit. With the new scholarship annual limit moving up to 32 in our situation and not really a mass exodus of scholarship players after the JoeMo signing (thus allowing us to be at the 85 total limit), someone has to go and it makes sense to cut the lowest performing walk ons.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

The story I heard is that UA has to honor each players four year scholarship.  A scholarship player can be removed from the team but it is still the financial responsibility of UA to offer and provide them four years of education (total).  Cutting scholarship guys is not an added finacial burden UA wants to risk.  So they only cut a certain number of the walk-ons. 

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Thought on all these walk ons being shown the door: I don't know what our roster size was last year or will be this year (nor do I really care), but it looks like you can have a max of 125 players. No matter what we had in total, the fact is we had an excess number of walk ons on the team in recent years as a result of being well under the scholarship limit. With the new scholarship annual limit moving up to 32 in our situation and not really a mass exodus of scholarship players after the JoeMo signing (thus allowing us to be at the 85 total limit), someone has to go and it makes sense to cut the lowest performing walk ons.

Well folks, I have taken a wait and see approach to all of this but the  comments that jump off the page to me are the disrespect a lot of you have for walk ons. Most of you think the scholarship guys are the crap. Well I gotta tell ya there are some walk ons out there that IMO  deserve a free ride  like Hester He is just one example. Grimes another. I put Grimes up against any of those guys. So lets quit hating on walk ons. There are some more scholarship guys that need to go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

The story I heard is that UA has to honor each players four year scholarship.  A scholarship player can be removed from the team but it is still the financial responsibility of UA to offer and provide them four years of education (total).  Cutting scholarship guys is not an added finacial burden UA wants to risk.  So they only cut a certain number of the walk-ons. 

This is partially true. Im sure a come to Jesus mtg was or will be had with each player. The scholarship players will get help relocating to different schools. These coaches are all interconnected and they all talk. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Well folks, I have taken a wait and see approach to all of this but the  comments that jump off the page to me are the disrespect a lot of you have for walk ons. Most of you think the scholarship guys are the crap. Well I gotta tell ya there are some walk ons out there that IMO  deserve a free ride  like Hester He is just one example. Grimes another. I put Grimes up against any of those guys. So lets quit hating on walk ons. There are some more scholarship guys that need to go.

There is no hate. I love a good walk on story. Walk-ons generally are not as talented as scholarship players. If you want to disagree with that statement, I don't know what else to tell you.  Grimes is a scholarship player who started off as a walk on.

15 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

Interesting. Most schools give scholarships on a year to year basis with the assumption that it will apply for their full time at the school as long as the student athletes meets the requirements. If UA guarantees it for a full 4 years, does that mean if a kid quits, or is dismissed from the team, or enters the portal but chooses to return to UA - but not on a football basis -  is the scholarship still honored?

19 minutes ago, John Ward said:

I was making my comment in jest. But the fact remains that we are 3-27 over the past 3 years. There is a need for an overall talent upgrade across the roster, which is currently happening. Walk-ons are vital to all programs and many will be awarded scholarships during their time on the team. With that being said, there was an unusual amount of walk-ons compared to scholarship players on this roster heading into the spring. That needed adjustment.

5 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Interesting. Most schools give scholarships on a year to year basis with the assumption that it will apply for their full time at the school as long as the student athletes meets the requirements. If UA guarantees it for a full 4 years, does that mean if a kid quits, or is dismissed from the team, or enters the portal but chooses to return to UA - but not on a football basis -  is the scholarship still honored?

My understanding is if they are cut the school has to honor the remaining years.

Generally athletic scholarships are renewed on a year by year basis. I guess Akron could do it differently, but whoever made that decision should probably be fired considering our financial situation as a university and the competitiveness of our teams :) We don't need to be pressured to keep players to avoid a financial burden.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

My understanding is if they are cut the school has to honor the remaining years.

So if a player transfers to another school, does that mean the school gives the remaining scholarship money to the former player in the form of a payout or does the scholarship money go back to the school and just taken away from the athletic department?

8 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

This might be a dumb question, but are we assuming that any incoming players from the Transfer Portal will automatically be put on scholarship immediately?

I would assume if they were on scholarship at another D1 school, we would be placing them on scholarship as well. It seemed we were below the 85 scholarship limit before, but now probably sit at or above it. @LZIp is on top of that and I’m anxious to see where things stand when he’s had time to fully updated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

If you ever want Akron to develop into a mid major power house -  like Boise State, BYU, UCF etc - we need to purge the team of walk ons. It's inevitable & I'm here for it. 

Do you really think Boise State, BYU and UCF and etc have no walk ons on their roster?

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Generally athletic scholarships are renewed on a year by year basis. I guess Akron could do it differently, but whoever made that decision should probably be fired considering our financial situation as a university and the competitiveness of our teams :) We don't need to be pressured to keep players to avoid a financial burden.

Who is saying Akron offered guaranteed 4 year football scholarships up front?