Transfer Portal

John Ward

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

So if a player transfers to another school, does that mean the school gives the remaining scholarship money to the former player in the form of a payout or does the scholarship money go back to the school and just taken away from the athletic department?

No cash payout, and no transfer of funds back to the University (primarily because there is no money to pay out or give back). The athletic department would now be able to award a scholarship to another player (in the same sport as the departed player).

Edited by Zipmeister

22 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

No cash payout, and no transfer of funds back to the University (primarily because there is no money to pay out or give back). The athletic department would now be able to award a scholarship to another player (in the same sport as the departed player).

That would make sense as that’s what most schools would do. I’m trying to wrap my head around how a scholarship is upheld for 4 years if the player has transferred to another school. In this case, how would Akron be held responsible for a 4 year commitment when the player has moved on and potentially on scholarship elsewhere.

It makes sense if the kid was still attending the school and no longer on the team. But in this case all the players we’ve heard about have entered the transfer portal and and intend to move on to other schools, so I’m struggling to understand how the 4 year offer still applies.

1 minute ago, catdaddyp said:

That would make sense as that’s what most schools would do. I’m trying to wrap my head around how a scholarship is upheld for 4 years if the player has transferred to another school. In this case, how would Akron be held responsible for a 4 year commitment when the player has moved on and potentially on scholarship elsewhere.

It makes sense if the kid was still attending the school and no longer on the team. But in this case all the players we’ve heard about have entered the transfer portal and and intend to move on to other schools, so I’m struggling to understand how the 4 year offer still applies.

Please stop struggling: reread my previous post.

44 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

What you are saying is different than what @Akron1 said. So there is definitely a misinterpretation of information somewhere.

I'm uncertain as to which Akron 1 post you are referring? 

Is it the one where he tells about an unsourced story he heard that UA has to honor each players four year scholarship.

Or is it the one where he incorrectly responds to your question “does that mean if a kid quits, or is dismissed from the team, or enters the portal but chooses to return to UA - but not on a football basis -  is the scholarship still honored?”.

I'll guess it's the second one. If a kid quits (even if he stays in school)  or enters and exits the portal (even if he stays in school) he gives up the scholarship and what I said previously applies. Being dismissed from the team is a little more tricky. A few years back, we had a scholarship guard on the basketball team who was cut from the team and tossed out of the university. Seems the authorities frowned on his business - selling pot. He lost his scholarship. On the other hand, A coach with a heart (which means this option may not be all that common) might elect to continue a players renewable scholarship despite the fact that the coach cut the player from the team solely because the player wasn't good enough. You prove to me that any player on the Akron team has a guaranteed 4 year scholarship and then we will address that.

Edited by Zipmeister

Scholarships are year by year, you sign a one year contract, if your worthy of the next year the contract will be signed again. It includes room & board and is approximately 30k.  They receive a small stipend if they take advantage of University room and board facilities & a much larger stipend if you live off campus.  Although it is standard practice if you meet academic requirements & do everything your asked that the scholarship will be there until you are out of of eligibility,  I have personally seen scholarships taken away when Arth got here of Bowden players that didn’t meet his demands either academically or athletically 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Scholarships are year by year, you sign a one year contract, if your worthy of the next year the contract will be signed again. It includes room & board and is approximately 30k.  They receive a small stipend if they take advantage of University room and board facilities & a much larger stipend if you live off campus.  Although it is standard practice if you meet academic requirements & do everything your asked that the scholarship will be there until you are out of of eligibility,  I have personally seen scholarships taken away when Arth got here of Bowden players that didn’t meet his demands either academically or athletically 

That’s how most schools do it. Which is why I was surprised to hear UA offered 4 year terms. I can’t see much advantage to that setup if that’s truly the case.

Edited by catdaddyp

The NCAA Division I rule addresses the status of an athletic scholarship in this situation in Bylaw 15.5.1.7 “Aid After Departure of Head Coach.”  

Basically, this rule says that when a head coach who recruited and provided a scholarship to a DI student-athlete is replaced, the new head coach has the right to not invite an athlete back to the team the following year.  The athlete may, however, be given the right to stay at the school on scholarship until the athlete graduates with their degree.

The benefit of this rule for the athlete is that they can continue to receive their scholarship while working to complete their degree.  The benefit to the new coach is that the athlete’s scholarship won’t count against the team limit in that sport so the coach can use that scholarship to recruit another athlete.

NCAA DI coaching change impact on scholarship athlete Archives - Informed Athlete

informedathlete.com

2 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

The NCAA Division I rule addresses the status of an athletic scholarship in this situation in Bylaw 15.5.1.7 “Aid After Departure of Head Coach.”  

Basically, this rule says that when a head coach who recruited and provided a scholarship to a DI student-athlete is replaced, the new head coach has the right to not invite an athlete back to the team the following year.  The athlete may, however, be given the right to stay at the school on scholarship until the athlete graduates with their degree.

The benefit of this rule for the athlete is that they can continue to receive their scholarship while working to complete their degree.  The benefit to the new coach is that the athlete’s scholarship won’t count against the team limit in that sport so the coach can use that scholarship to recruit another athlete.

NCAA DI coaching change impact on scholarship athlete Archives - Informed Athlete

informedathlete.com

That part makes sense. You see scholarships continue to be honored due to a variety of reasons as long as the player is still at the school. 

Where I did not understand is if it was a 4 year scholly even when transferring. That did not make sense. 

So with these scholarship players transferring out, it doesn’t matter what the amount of year guarantee may or may not be, as they will no longer be at the school.

4 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

It’s not

Are you saying most schools don’t offer scholarships year by year? I can assure you that’s how it works. They then are renewed on a yearly basis.

My confusion was towards the 4 year offering. As that’s something I hadn’t heard of before.

Edited by catdaddyp

19 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Are you saying most schools don’t offer scholarships year by year? I can assure you that’s how it works. They then are renewed on a yearly basis.

The Big 10 is the only conference that offers a 4 year scholarship. The others offer a year by year renewable.

Edited by MangoZip

My explanation explained it, there is no time frame guarantee, they are year to year, you do your part it’s renewed until your out of eligibility or till you quit or if you enter the portal after season your scholarship is good until end of 2nd semester, you leave to go somewhere else you leave your scholarship & hopefully you received another from your next destination 

when i said it didn’t work that way i was saying the 4 year term isn’t the case at Akron

hope that cleared it up

2 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

My explanation explained it, there is no time frame guarantee, they are year to year, you do your part it’s renewed until your out of eligibility or till you quit or if you enter the portal after season your scholarship is good until end of 2nd semester, you leave to go somewhere else you leave your scholarship & hopefully you received another from your next destination 

when i said it didn’t work that way i was saying the 4 year term isn’t the case at Akron

hope that cleared it up

Yes, thank you. We are saying the same thing in regards to scholarship offers.

40 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

The Big 10 is the only conference that offers a 4 year scholarship. The others offer a year by year renewable.

https://www.news-press.com/story/sports/college/fgcu/2015/10/16/college-sports-scholarships-not-four-year-guarantees/74009542/

I could very well be wrong. I got out of coaching in 2016 so this is new to me. Looks like a handful of schools outside of the Big 10 have done the same thing.

Interesting….

6 hours ago, LZIp said:

There is no hate. I love a good walk on story. Walk-ons generally are not as talented as scholarship players. If you want to disagree with that statement, I don't know what else to tell you.  Grimes is a scholarship player who started off as a walk on.

Ok, so how about Hester. He clearly is better than some of the other scholarship players. Have you seen his HS numbers. He just didnt get the hype other players do as he is from Ashland, KY.

5 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Do you really think Boise State, BYU and UCF and etc have no walk ons on their roster?

Meister, I can tell you for fact all 3 of those schools have a lot of walk ons. Boise program was built on walk ons. Kids from middle of no where , no hype, just love the game. Boise coaches coached em up and fielded very competitive teams

17 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Meister, I can tell you for fact all 3 of those schools have a lot of walk ons. Boise program was built on walk ons. Kids from middle of no where , no hype, just love the game. Boise coaches coached em up and fielded very competitive teams

No kidding?

So you are telling me that those teams are loaded with walk ons just like virtually every other D1 team.

1 hour ago, John Ward said:

Ok, so how about Hester. He clearly is better than some of the other scholarship players. Have you seen his HS numbers. He just didnt get the hype other players do as he is from Ashland, KY.

Hester is a nice player who has a chance to earn a scholarship. I don't think he's better than any of the scholarship RB's however, so it'll need to be earned on special teams or if a number of RBs go down ahead of him probably. Just my opinion.

32 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

LB Nick Mayle in the portal.

Thats 4 LBs since the SG.

Can’t believe any will end up at another D1 program. The Killer B’s (Boateng, Behm and Bubba) were the only returnees I’d have expected to make an impact in 2022. They’re all still in the Program.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Can’t believe any will end up at another D1 program. The Killer B’s (Boateng, Behm and Bubba) were the only returnees I’d have expected to make an impact in 2022. They’re all still in the Program.

Little worried about Boat. He doesn't seem healthy. Can he recoup and stay healthy?

Here are some players missing from the most recent roster update. We haven’t seen their names in the portal - yet - but I assume they will not be returning.

QB: 

Calvin Cloud

WR:

Alec LeSpina

TE:

Nate Amato

OL:

Canaan Sheets

DL:

David Hooks

LB:

Kyle Bischof

Myles Carter

Yveny Petithomme 

DB:

Quentin Woodall

Nasari Jackson

Edited by catdaddyp

FYI

I just read an article written by Ralph Russo of the Associated Press.  He reports that the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association says it’s likely, perhaps within the next year, that the annual scholarship limit of 25 will be scrapped while holding the total limit at 85. He also says they are talking about narrowing the time window for players to enter the portal. The current proposal would limit portal entry to between the last Sunday in November until the first signing date in mid-December and also between April 15 and May 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Here are some players missing from the most recent roster update. We haven’t seen their names in the portal - yet - but I assume they will not be returning.

QB: 

Calvin Cloud

WR:

Alec LeSpina

TE:

Nate Amato

OL:

Canaan Sheets

DL:

David Hooks

LB:

Kyle Bischof

Myles Carter

Yveny Petithomme 

DB:

Quentin WoodallI

Nasari Jackson

I looked up the list of names and compared them to scholarship chart excel spreadsheet that was issued a week or two ago.  Unless I missed someone, nobody on the list above showed up on the scholarship chart.  It looks like Coach JoeMo is getting rid of Arth's walk ons.  This action does not excite me.  

Go Zips!!!!