Transfer Portal

John Ward

17 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I looked up the list of names and compared them to scholarship chart excel spreadsheet that was issued a week or two ago.  Unless I missed someone, nobody on the list above showed up on the scholarship chart.  It looks like Coach JoeMo is getting rid of Arth's walk ons.  This action does not excite me.  

Go Zips!!!!

What I suspect is happening is that JoeMo is clearing out walk-ons that he does not believe will contribute and in turn will bring in higher caliber walk-ons. There are hundreds of players in the portal that will not find scholarships this year. So, there’s a good chance we land some quality players as walk-ons that were formerly on scholarship elsewhere. 

I’ve seen it happen at several Power 5 schools where players are transferring in on preferred walk-on status with the chance of earning a scholarship somewhere down the line.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

What I suspect is happening is that JoeMo is clearing out walk-ons that he does not believe will contribute and in turn will bring in higher caliber walk-ons. There are hundreds of players in the portal that will not find scholarships this year. So, there’s a good chance we land some quality players as walk-ons that were formerly on scholarship elsewhere. 

I’ve seen it happen at several Power 5 schools where players are transferring in on preferred walk-on status with the chance of earning a scholarship somewhere down the line.

Yes, this is what I was referring to in my post yesterday asking if we are assuming that all inbound portal transfers will be on an immediate scholarship. I believe you are right with what you are saying here.

This might be a dumb question, but are we assuming that any incoming players from the Transfer Portal will automatically be put on scholarship immediately?

Edited by blueandgold
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Yes, this is what I was referring to in my post yesterday asking if we are assuming that all inbound portal transfers will be on an immediate scholarship. I believe you are right with what you are saying here.

My best guess is the current incoming commitments will be on scholarship, as we were below the 85 limit. But I could be wrong as we don’t have an inside source. I imagine some of the future incoming players will be PWO.

• Like 1

A week+ past the Spring Game I thought we would hear of a TP Pick-up or three by now. Seems quiet out there (less the logo discussion). Irons appears to be the man unless something changes. I figured the focus would be on building a great offense and it was but I am mightily worried about the state of the defense that essentially allowed teams to score at will against us. 

Hope reinforcements are coming. We get real thin, real quick at QB2 and not much to be excited about in our DL and backfield IMO.

Can this team be .500 or better as is?

Edited by AKSportsFan

1 hour ago, AKSportsFan said:

A week+ past the Spring Game I thought we would hear of a TP Pick-up or three by now. Seems quiet out there (less the logo discussion). Irons appears to be the man unless something changes. I figured the focus would be on building a great offense and it was but I am mightily worried about the state of the defense that essentially allowed teams to score at will against us. 

Hope reinforcements are coming. We get real thin, real quick at QB2 and not much to be excited about in our DL and backfield IMO.

Can this team be .500 or better as is?

To answer your last question - yes. The piece missing from your equation is the improvement in the coaching staff. This staff is going to put the guys on the field in much better positions to make plays and win games. The offense is almost fully revamped with P5 guys. The defense has P5 guys littered throughout. 

JoeMo hasn't gone less than .500 in his other 2 first years as a HC. I don't expect anything less than .500 this year, even if we don't add anyone (and I expect to add a few more key impact players). 

I've heard we have a QB coming from an FCS school. He is good, but not head and shoulders better than Irons. I've been told he will be behind Irons because Irons has a far better grasp of the offense JoeMo wants to run. The opinion of my source is that this new QB is servicible, but we need Irons to be the man. Wish I had specifics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I've heard we have a QB coming from an FCS school. He is good, but not head and shoulders better than Irons. I've been told he will be behind Irons because Irons has a far better grasp of the offense JoeMo wants to run. The opinion of my source is that this new QB is servicible, but we need Irons to be the man. Wish I had specifics.

I'm fine with that if he becomes another Dalton Williams type QB.

Edited by blueandgold

33 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Any chance it’s St. Francis starting QB? JoeMo is going to make sure we get a Win in week 1.

I joke, but I am genuinely curious to see who we land. It seems the viable quarterback options in the portal are limited in comparison to other positions.

Edited by catdaddyp

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

Draylen Ellis from Austin Peay State just announced an offer, so that may be our FCS QB?

Came here to post the same thing.

Awards and Honors:
2021 HERO Sports Sophomore All-America
2021 Second Team All-OVC
2021 OVC Preseason Offensive Player of the Year
2021 Preseason All-OVC
2020-21 STATS Perform Jerry Rice Award Finalist (6th)
2020-21 OVC All-Newcomer Team
2020-21 OVC Co-Freshman of the Year
OVC Offensive Player of the Week: March 16, March 23 (2020-21); Sept. 19, Nov. 7, Nov. 14 (2021)
OVC Newcomer of the Week: Feb. 23, March 16, March 23, April 6 (2020-21)
STATS FCS National Freshman of the Week: March 15, 2021
OVC Commissioner’s Honor Roll (2020-21)
Dean's List (S21)
Athletic Director's Honor Roll (F20)

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, LZIp said:

Hopefully he gets it together, because it appears the talent is there...could be a steal.

If he elects to become a Zip, I hope he gets it together.

If he becomes a Zip and does not nail down the starting job, my Magic 8 Ball says to expect trouble.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Draylen Ellis committee to Tennessee St.

I'm thinking Draylen would be the committor  and Tn. State would be the committee.

I'm also thinking he will be a better fit there than he would have been here.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I'm thinking Draylen would be the committor  and Tn. State would be the committee.

I'm also thinking he will be a better fit there than he would have been here.

Agreed.  Glad he chose to go elsewhere.  If Akron offered him, my trust in Coach JoeMo will start to be reduced.  

Agreed @Zipmeister and @bigjim. That was one offer I wasn’t thrilled about. Two suspensions in the same year is a red flag. I was surprised we offered in the first place. I guess the staff vetted him and was satisfied with the information they were given.

QB may be the position to hold us back if another starter quality player isn’t brought in. Despite his inconsistencies, Irons has a chance to have a big year. My concern is what the offense will look like if Irons misses any substantial time.

2 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Agreed @Zipmeister and @bigjim. That was one offer I wasn’t thrilled about. Two suspensions in the same year is a red flag. I was surprised we offered in the first place. I guess the staff vetted him and was satisfied with the information they were given.

QB may be the position to hold us back if another starter quality player isn’t brought in. Despite his inconsistencies, Irons has a chance to have a big year. My concern is what the offense will look like if Irons misses any substantial time.

Join the club.

I keep checking this thread every day anticipating that one of you guys who keeps his finger of pulse of the transfer portal will be posting about the Zips new transfer QB.

Nada.

What is wrong with you guys?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Join the club.

I keep checking this thread every day anticipating that one of you guys who keeps his finger of pulse of the transfer portal will be posting about the Zips new transfer QB.

Nada.

What is wrong with you guys?

According to my wife there is not enough space here to describe all that is wrong with me.  Lucky for you. Pity my wife.

• Haha 4

I now believe that our WR losses of Qualls, Mumpfield, and Mathison has been completely bested with the additions of Louis, Adams, and Jones.  That does not include Golden or the TE additions.  The receiving corps will be greatly improved.  

In Joe We Trust!!!

• Like 3