Transfer Portal

John Ward

22 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Now that’s an interesting offer. He’s limited as a runner, but he throws a nice ball, has excellent height for a QB, and plenty of arm strength. I like the offer, just surprised by it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Now that’s an interesting offer. He’s limited as a runner, but he throws a nice ball, has excellent height for a QB, and plenty of arm strength. I like the offer, just surprised by it.

Agreed. Seems like a good talent but a bit of a different mold than Joe Mo has been targeting so far or used in recent history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Looks like injury last season. Unsure if they had any 2020 season.

He threw for 41 TD passes in 2019 and looked fantastic, even for a FCS program.  Limited play in 2020 and 2021.  I found one website that shows he played some in both 20 and 21.  The link in this post shows 3 games over 2 years.  He had the Covid season and must have gotten a red shirt year.   I will do some more research in the next day or so to understand his limited playing and reduction in statistics.  Based on 2019, he would be a good pickup.  Need to get more data from the last two years.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bigjim said:

He threw for 41 TD passes in 2019 and looked fantastic, even for a FCS program.  Limited play in 2020 and 2021.  I found one website that shows he played some in both 20 and 21.  The link in this post shows 3 games over 2 years.  He had the Covid season and must have gotten a red shirt year.   I will do some more research in the next day or so to understand his limited playing and reduction in statistics.  Based on 2019, he would be a good pickup.  Need to get more data from the last two years.  

I found the following and I am not sure it is 100% correct, so please provide accurate information if you find it is not accurate.  

2019 - Like I said above, 41 TD passes.

2020 - Albany did not play football because of  COVID.

2021 - Albany Played 11 games, Undercuffler pllayed 10 games with 8 TD passes and 7 ints.  Went 2-9.  It looks like they were sharing QB duties.  I do not know why, injury, less talented WR's, loss of talent, etc.  

Summary - based on the 41 TD passes, he is worth looking at. 

Go Zips!!!

16 hours ago, LZIp said:

Agreed. Seems like a good talent but a bit of a different mold than Joe Mo has been targeting so far or used in recent history.

Yep, the players at other positions have shown similar traits to each other. Our QB search hasn’t been that way. The two recent offers are very different in the way they play and what they bring to the table. It’ll be interesting to see who we land.

21 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Possibly a sign of desperation?

It could be. The QB options in the transfer portal from the FBS level are slim as are any high school and JUCO prospects at this point. I’m guessing that’s why we are hitting the FCS level so hard.

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Wow, he had basically no stats at a D2 school & he is gonna go to Illinois, his 4th school, why?  Good luck to him I guess

Bret Bielema tries to even out his roster between the classes, so I’m sure Morris being a senior played a role in Illinois’ interest. He has the physical ability to help, but he’s missed so much football in the past few years due to injuries and COVID.

He’ll have a chance to get on the field due to the lack of experience on Illinois’ roster at the receiver position, but I'm still skeptical about how much production Morris will be able to provide.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LZIp said:

May be a walk on.

He might be, but I doubt it. Illinois was well under the 85 scholarship limit and had no way of getting to that limit outside of blueshirting guys like crazy. They were one of the schools pushing hard for the 25 yearly scholarship rule being suspended.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Believe Northern Colorado is FBS and I think he has stats.

Northern Colorado is FCS. Morris played in 5 games last year. 20 receptions, 143 yards, 1 TD. 

He apparently was limited due to concussion issues.