Transfer Portal

John Ward

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

I’m guessing we just landed Jeff Undercuffler as he tweeted out 🤐 

If true, the Zips simply must either sign a center named Cuffler or convince one of our current centers to change his name to Cuffler so that occasionally the game announcers can say "Undercuffler is under Cuiffler".

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

3rd team all conference last year as a sophomore. Wouldn't expect him to come in and push to start, but at least a depth piece with a few years of development left.

EKU Bio

Played in all 12 games his freshman year.  Started all 11 games last season and had a couple INT's (the Zips only had 6 as a team in 2021). We aren't exactly overflowing with talent on the defensive side of the ball. I would expect him to be in the mix for a starting job.

Bright kid...offered by Cornell, and was Scholar Athlete of the Year at his HS.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

EKU Bio

Played in all 12 games his freshman year.  Started all 11 games last season and had a couple INT's (the Zips only had 6 as a team in 2021). We aren't exactly overflowing with talent on the defensive side of the ball. I would expect him to be in the mix for a starting job.

Bright kid...offered by Cornell, and was Scholar Athlete of the Year at his HS.

Interesting that the majority of his highlights on his Twitter feed are of him playing safety, but yet he’s listed as a cornerback. He’s definitely a better fit at safety. He plays the ball well in the air and will come down and hit. At cornerback, he loses a step when he flips his hips and doesn’t possess the burst to catch back up on a well thrown ball. All of his breakups at CB are on under thrown balls.

He flashed the same traits on his high school film. I think we landed a solid player if we play him at safety. He’ll fit right in laying some hits with our young ILBs.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

Copying this from the Class of 2023 as I believe it was posted there in error...

He is a transfer from Memphis. Redshirt Freshman. Multiple P5 offers out of high school, including South Carolina, Indiana, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc., as he was rated the #78 CB in the country in his class.

Looks like we'll have him for 4 years.

https://gotigersgo.com/sports/football/roster/devonte-golden-nelson/9631

https://247sports.com/Player/Devonte-Nelson-46057678/TimelineEvents/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

And another...didn't play really at all his first 2 years at Memphis, but has some nice offers coming out of HS.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Devonte-Nelson-121587/RecruitInterests/

Love the potential of this pickup! I’m not sure what the deal was at Memphis, but Nelson was a stud in high school. Rivals had him rated as a 5.5 - 3 star when he probably should have been 5.7 (their 3 stars are from 5.5-5.7). 

He’s more in line with Cam Threatt. Nelson has long arms, flips his hips well, and is excellent at getting his hand in to break up the pass. He, unlike some of the CBs we have on the roster now, has the burst to cover ground quickly if he gets disconnected from his man. Nelson will come down hill and hit as he displays plenty of physicality.

Not all of these transfers will pan out, but no one can rightfully argue about the physical talent and potential the staff continues to bring in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Top 5 of G5.  The MAC is 💩ing their pants.

Mike Farrell didn't get the A logo memo. 

That aside, the MAC is absolutely 💩ing its pants. Akron has the 2nd highest Transfer Portal class ranking in the MAC (#69; Buffalo is #30), one ahead of Ohio State even. The next closest is Miami OH at 87. 

Buffalo did have a phenomenal off-season Portal wise. However you take the talent Akron has amassed and combine it with the complete overhaul of the coaching staff, and we're already in the upper echelon of the MAC on paper. From worst to first is not out of the realm of possibility. 

• Like 2

Lets Go,  take a breath.  After 3 wins in 3 years, it is pretty clear that our talent level was pretty low.  We have no where to go but up.  I have said before, if we enter the MAC season 2-2, I think we could go bowling, but first?  Sure it's possible, but is it realistic?   I'll be happy if we get 5 W's this year(as long as one of them is PCCC).  Six or more W's; we are on the road to nirvana as long as Joe is happy in Akron.

He said he believes right now top-shelf quarterbacks require $2 million in NIL money. Major offensive tackles and edge rushers he said are about $1 million.

If you can’t match that, other teams might have a chance to pluck key players from your roster. Day told the assembled potential NIL donors that every player on the team could go in the transfer portal when this season ends, and then field calls from other schools who might be offering NIL deals.

College football, huh? 😞

I guess if you're a MAC-first fan, it's irrelevant. They'll never be more than coffee and doughnut money here.

I remember several years ago Chris Spielman talking about walking into OSU's stadium and seeing his jerseys everywhere, and in the bookstore, and at shirt vendors and on the giant stadium banners...and he's basically just got a college scholarship out of the deal. I get it. He's the show, and gets little for it. Although getting national exposure, great instruction/preparation for the NFL, great facilities etc. also have some worth.

But to me, the "old days" of underhanded, back-alley payments were somehow less slimly than what's going on now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Ryan Day: We need ~$13M to keep current roster in place.

Might be out of the local tattoo parlor(s) budgets, but I'm sure they can scrounge it up.

Interesting to see an NIL price for a top team. If I'm shifting the decimal point correctly, I'd say a top MAC team will need  about $130K to keep its roster together.

• 4 weeks later...