Transfer Portal

John Ward

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

$3M a year for a 17-18 overall record (11-15 conference record) in 3 seasons... I doubt Neal is regretting his decision but WVU is certainly having buyer's remorse. 

Neal will probably take a year off once he's fired (they should really fire him now to stop the bleeding) then come back with a G5 school and return to success. 

Lyons told me in Lot 9 all about getting his man Neal.  He basically pushed the old guy out to get his guy Neal.  That’s a big pill to swallow, not sure he is ready yet.  Idk as I haven’t spoke with him since his son transferred but that change was his doing

Edited by 94zipgrad

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, GP1 said:

If offering a scholarship to a player who has not finished their senior season was forbidden, how would it impact the transfer portal?

Do you mean high school senior season or college senior season? If you mean college, an offer can’t be “officially” made to a player until the player has entered the portal. 

4 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Do you mean high school senior season or college senior season? If you mean college, an offer can’t be “officially” made to a player until the player has entered the portal. 

High school

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

High school

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand your question. Kids can be offered scholarships at any time in high school (or younger in a handful of cases) but there are rules determining how much and what type of contact coaches can make with the prospect.

8 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand your question. Kids can be offered scholarships at any time in high school (or younger in a handful of cases) but there are rules determining how much and what type of contact coaches can make with the prospect.

Should colleges be allowed to offer, either verbally or in writing, a high school player a scholarship before they play their last high school game? If the rule was made, what impact would it have on the transfer portal?

My thesis around this would be as the player ages through highschool, they can change both physically and emotionally. Early commitments prevent them from using what they learn to make the best decisions for themselves ending up in the transfer portal. 

Edited by GP1

7 hours ago, GP1 said:

Should colleges be allowed to offer, either verbally or in writing, a high school player a scholarship before they play their last high school game? If the rule was made, what impact would it have on the transfer portal?

My thesis around this would be as the player ages through highschool, they can change both physically and emotionally. Early commitments prevent them from using what they learn to make the best decisions for themselves ending up in the transfer portal. 

Good question. Although if anything the rules would be loosened as opposed to tightened as the NCAA is losing their control - especially over Power 5 schools - with each passing year. 

Currently a kid can change his verbal commitment as much as he wants, but once he signs he’s obligated to attend the school he signed with. However, if there is a head coach change, the recruit can request his release and the school can grant the release. 

Where it gets messy is when a recruit signs and doesn’t qualify for acceptance. He’ll still count towards the 25 yearly scholarship limit for the school (except in 2022 where it could be up to 32 scholarships). A way around that is blueshirting - in essence borrowing a scholarship from the following year - or potentially giving a former walk-on who is already on the roster a scholarship.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GP1 said:

I think you'd see a bunch of kids going to JUCO because the colleges picked over the portal before waiting to offer HS kids

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I think you'd see a bunch of kids going to JUCO because the colleges picked over the portal before waiting to offer HS kids

I’m not sure but i don’t think you will ever see it.  Hopefully Covid affect is gone but for the most part D1 commits before senior year, D2 towards end of senior year & a few months after and then fill in the D3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 7:30 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Not to mention, given the experience on the coaching staff, it's hard to imagine our staff hasn't had previous contact with some if not all of the above at some point. It's not unfathomable to think we could land one of these guys if we wanted to. I definitely think we'll be adding a transfer QB soon enough, just a matter of who & when, not if.

The following question may have been laughable a while ago, but given recent events I don't know.

Highly regarded UofF QB, Emory Jones, is in the portal. If we could get him, would you?

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

The following question may have been laughable a while ago, but given recent events I don't know.

Highly regarded UofF QB, Emory Jones, is in the portal. If we could get him, would you?

Do we have any connections with him?

As amazing as these transfers have been recently, I believe JoeMo was at Penn State during the recruiting process for both PSU transfers, and the Bama TE is coming home to Akron. 

Reno Ferri most likely knew the Cuse DT. The Mississippi State guys knew JoeMo prior. No idea on any other connections. 

Not sure we're at the point of pulling random guys left and right, especially of Emory's caliber. 

12 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Do we have any connections with him?

As amazing as these transfers have been recently, I believe JoeMo was at Penn State during the recruiting process for both PSU transfers, and the Bama TE is coming home to Akron. 

Reno Ferri most likely knew the Cuse DT. The Mississippi State guys knew JoeMo prior. No idea on any other connections. 

Not sure we're at the point of pulling random guys left and right, especially of Emory's caliber. 

This is a fair statement. In addition, we know he recruited Adams from his MSU days and Vic Jones was involved with our  S&C coach. Terry and Banks are from Pitt area. With that I said, IDK if there are any connections with Shockey, KJ Martin, Nate Thompson or Banes. I like the quality of guys brought in, but it will be interesting to see their utilization  of it going forward.

5 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Woobendy Guerrier hit the portal. Too bad as I thought he might eventually push for starting minutes. 

I believe he was here 2 years (from Juco) and didn't sniff the field at all on D. 

A S transferring doesn't surprise me with the late addition of Thompson. Anyone else want to guess positions/names? I'll throw in one TE and one WR based on the Clark and George additions.

Edited by LZIp

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I believe he was here 2 years (from Juco) and didn't sniff the field at all on D. 

A S transferring doesn't surprise me. Anyone else want to guess positions/names? I'll throw in one TE and one WR.

One of those where the physical talent is there, but the rest isn’t clicking.

I’m sure there are more to come as I believe 5/1 is the cutoff date for portal entries, unless they want to sit a year.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Unfortunately, it’ll probably get worse before it gets better. NCAA has distanced themselves from NIL and don’t seem to know how - or want to - enforce the confusing guidelines that are currently in place.