Transfer Portal

John Ward

1 hour ago, I love Zippy said:

Williams walked away from the team last year when he lost his position to better talent. We could have used him late in the season due to injuries if he had stuck it out. If he’s the type of guy who walks away instead of working hard to get back in the game, I’d prefer he keep walking. If he’s back now it’s only because no one else picked him up, not because he has a newfound love for all things Zippy. 

We went 0-12 last season. We need players that can play. If Arth thought we had much better options than Williams at the WR positions, he wouldn't have taken him back.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Just an FYI, doesn’t have any real affect, Arth has built numbers in the QB room, ones with no chance are going to move on

Walk on before anyone comes on here and acts like the world is falling.

Looks like we may be replacing him with a former NIU quarterback.

• Like 1

I was looking at the transfer portal this morning before the Holday activities start, and I noticed the following.  I know that everything is not up to date, but 247 does a pretty good job keeping up to date.  

Transfers to Akron, (hopefully both decent pickups these are positions of need for next year)

-Cole Gest

-Zach Leininger

Akron transfers to other schools

-Keyondre White to Hampton

-Brandon Council to Auburn (this is a big loss)

-Keyshawn Swanson to Troy, (looks like a good move for him)

-Nick Demchuk to Gannon 

Transfer to return to Akron

-Andre Williams (I would never allow this return, this may be a bad move)

Those who have not found a new school

-Alex Ramhart (I think he found a small school)

-Devanier Floyd

-Malik Woodridge

-Deandre Brimage

-Tyson Mcdonald

-Zaire Jacobs

-Keyshod Mack

-Jerome Cooper

-JJ Mack

This shows the talent level of the Bowden recruits that these players cannot get another division 1 scholarship.  I said this before, but in reality, I am hoping that another 10 or more Bowden recruits who do not have Division 1 talent get in the portal.  For one thing, they could play at a lower level and I hope they move in that direction Also, this could be a significant cost savings to the University.  I believe that the talent that Arth has recruited over the last 2 years is far significant to that of Bowden.  I do not know if this will translate into wins in 2020 because the upper class talent is so bare, but the future is being set.  Now, one person who can change this is Kato Nelson.  Several years back, we all wanted to have Bowden burn his redshirt when the starting QB was hurt, since we thought we had a chance with him.  The last couple of years have been disappointing.  I hope he has a monster senior year for the Zips.  More to come in the future.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bigjim said:

I was looking at the transfer portal this morning before the Holday activities start, and I noticed the following.  I know that everything is not up to date, but 247 does a pretty good job keeping up to date.  

Transfers to Akron, (hopefully both decent pickups these are positions of need for next year)

-Cole Gest

-Zach Leininger

Akron transfers to other schools

-Keyondre White to Hampton

-Brandon Council to Auburn (this is a big loss)

-Keyshawn Swanson to Troy, (looks like a good move for him)

-Nick Demchuk to Gannon 

Transfer to return to Akron

-Andre Williams (I would never allow this return, this may be a bad move)

Those who have not found a new school

-Alex Ramhart (I think he found a small school)

-Devanier Floyd

-Malik Woodridge

-Deandre Brimage

-Tyson Mcdonald

-Zaire Jacobs

-Keyshod Mack

-Jerome Cooper

-JJ Mack

This shows the talent level of the Bowden recruits that these players cannot get another division 1 scholarship.  I said this before, but in reality, I am hoping that another 10 or more Bowden recruits who do not have Division 1 talent get in the portal.  For one thing, they could play at a lower level and I hope they move in that direction Also, this could be a significant cost savings to the University.  I believe that the talent that Arth has recruited over the last 2 years is far significant to that of Bowden.  I do not know if this will translate into wins in 2020 because the upper class talent is so bare, but the future is being set.  Now, one person who can change this is Kato Nelson.  Several years back, we all wanted to have Bowden burn his redshirt when the starting QB was hurt, since we thought we had a chance with him.  The last couple of years have been disappointing.  I hope he has a monster senior year for the Zips.  More to come in the future.  

Have to do some digging but I think Floyd, Brimage, & Woolridge signed with Ashland.  Ramart with Indiana University of Pennsylvania & Mack got on with a small school somewhere 

7 hours ago, zippypitt said:

Thanks for the post.  I like everything I see until Nelson. Hoping for him to have a big season as a changeup and NOT starting QB.

I think we need good QB play to win some games.  I see the young guys as having potential but they may not be ready yet.  I am hoping that Nelson steps up.  If someone else does, that is great.  

.  94zipgrad

Have to do some digging but I think Floyd, Brimage, & Woolridge signed with Ashland.  Ramart with Indiana University of Pennsylvania & Mack got on with a small school somewhere D

As I stated, I hope they land at a school and play.  But they are not getting Division 1 offers.  Bowden had too many non-Division 1 players.  We need to get them in the transfer portal and add D1 athletes.  So what if we get down to 60 athletes, as long as they are D1 athletes.  Having 20-25 guys who cannot play does not help.

11 hours ago, bigjim said:

I believe that the talent that Arth has recruited over the last 2 years is far significant to that of Bowden.  I do not know if this will translate into wins in 2020 because the upper class talent is so bare, but the future is being set.  

This is some great Memorial Day optimism!  Hope you are right.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Subtle way at letting us know we got a new transfer? DB from Michigan. Two years to play and eligible immediately. 4 star coming out of HS.

https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-jaylen-kelly-powell-transfer-destination-akron-george-floyd-message

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaylen-Kelly-Powell-78974/ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Subtle way at letting us know we got a new transfer? DB from Michigan. Two years to play and eligible immediately. 4 star coming out of HS.

https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-jaylen-kelly-powell-transfer-destination-akron-george-floyd-message

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaylen-Kelly-Powell-78974/ 

To be honest, it tells me who is interested in Akron’s football program & who is just here bashing.  That is a pretty big pick up.  Let’s hope it works out for both sides.  I was really just seeing if anyone noticed.

I could have put it on one of the cutting threads & stirred up some negative comments about the program ? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

To be honest, it tells me who is interested in Akron’s football program & who is just here bashing.  That is a pretty big pick up.  Let’s hope it works out for both sides.  I was really just seeing if anyone noticed.

I could have put it on one of the cutting threads & stirred up some negative comments about the program ? 

It's now safe to say one can see a pattern has developed which shows what kind of player Arth is interested in and what kind of player is interested in Arth.  The article notes Kelley-Powell's intelligence, quiet nature,  and cerebral approach to the game.  Arth is recruiting a bunch of sincerely well-rounded, intelligent student athletes.  If these guys can win it really looks like Arth is building a culture which we, as fans, should be able to take a whole lot of pride in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

It's now safe to say one can see a pattern has developed which shows what kind of player Arth is interested in and what kind of player is interested in Arth.  The article notes Kelley-Powell's intelligence, quiet nature,  and cerebral approach to the game.  Arth is recruiting a bunch of sincerely well-rounded, intelligent student athletes.  If these guys can win it really looks like Arth is building a culture which we, as fans, should be able to take a whole lot of pride in.

He had a parent meeting that addressed exactly that.  He was not happy with the classroom & off the field behavior.  Two semesters & both GPA’s have went up & highest team GPA’s in school history for football.  He also emphasized the importance of special teams & that we didn’t have enough big, fast WR, CB, S, LB’s, those are the types of athletes you need to run down the field on special teams plus give you depth & flexibility 

He has been true to his words & hit the JUCO hard for these type of players.  I’m not expecting a complete turn around this year.  You will see an improvement but he again weeded out some non D1 players or so called bad apples that didn’t want to buy in & is working with less than 85 schollies but should be able to have roster close to where where he wants after another season of getting his guys

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Seems like a good get for us. Let's hope his original 4 star potential is still there. We need a big play maker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueandgold said:

Seems like a good get for us. Let's hope his original 4 star potential is still there. We need a big play maker.

Reading up on him, it seems like he had some injury problems. That's been the case with a lot of our P5 transfers over the years (Ryan Bain, Warren Ball, Deltron Sands, etc.). They couldn't stay on the field. I hope he's healthy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Dylan Meeks in the transfer portal. He was a higher rated recruit who never seemed to really find his way here, though he did start last year. Best of luck to him.

https://247sports.com/college/akron/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/

How does the process work with Covid and the cancellation of MAC sports?.  Dylan did not red shirt, but this fall was to be his senior year.  Is the NCAA awarding everyone another year?  If so, how will the schools pay for it?  I am curious on how college sports is going to work going forward.  At this point, i do not think that any decision has been made nor have I heard of any solid plan that makes everyone happy.  

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Dylan Meeks in the transfer portal. He was a higher rated recruit who never seemed to really find his way here, though he did start last year. Best of luck to him.

https://247sports.com/college/akron/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/

I wish him luck but this is no big loss for us and maybe a good move for him to get more playing time at a lower division program. I can't see any DI program giving him playing time or a scholarship. 

Now on to the tragic issue of Dr. Z causing ESPN+ to go bankrupt. Someone has a to step in. Zipmeister, put those advanced degrees to work and solve this dilemma.

11 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I wish him luck but this is no big loss for us and maybe a good move for him to get more playing time at a lower division program. I can't see any DI program giving him playing time or a scholarship. 

Now on to the tragic issue of Dr. Z causing ESPN+ to go bankrupt. Someone has a to step in. Zipmeister, put those advanced degrees to work and solve this dilemma.

I think that this is a loss if he was planning to come back in 2021.  Not a huge loss, but a decent player to bridge the gap to the future.  Coach Arth has recruited many large DL, but it still remains to be seen if they are talented or if they can play.  I would have loved to see some senior leadership as they work in the many future defensive linemen.  Good luck, and I hope that this decision works out for you.  Go Zips

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Didn’t someone rank him 4-stars? Lotta good that did us. The next 4-star player that makes an impact at Akron will be the first.

We averaged 48 yards per game rushing last year. Pretty amazing number for a MAC school.

I hope we have a RB on the roster that’s worth watching this year. If Jason Chisholm is your best RB in the past decade you’ve really struggled to recruit RB’s.