Jump to content
John Ward

Transfer Portal

Recommended Posts

Hicks owns his own behavior, but it doesn't seem like this is a coaching staff able to help kids be the best versions of themselves. 

 

I don't buy the line that kids who tra safer are selfish and don't want to be part of a team.

 

Things are not good in the world of Akron football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

The first game this year or the first game last year? I remember his tantrum last year. It took Arth a good minute to calm him down.

I believe that was Jonah Morris in game #1 two years ago, after a personal foul call? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to add a few thoughts on this topic. 

Many years ago I played for UA (Not football). During that time I was not a "Starter" but I certainly thought I was better than the person playing in front of me. There were many times when I thought about my options because I wanted more exposure from pro scouts. 

See that's what many posters don't realize is that most of these kids still think they have a shot to make it in the pros. It might be a .00000001% chance of that happening but to them it's greater than that. If you're not on the field, court, diamond, erc this will never happen. This is part of what separates them as division 1 athlete's in the first place. Their desire to be great. 

Student athlete's have a couple of options if they are unhappy with their situation. 

1. They can stick it out and hope to develop and earn more playing time. Sometimes this works but often it does not. I won't lay out the reasons here. 

2. They can walk away. Happens all the time. 

3. They can find a school that values them for the skill set they have. 

A majority of today's student athlete's want positive and instant feedback so I cannot blame them for wanting to transfer. They are not loser's and in most cases not cancer's. They just want a shot and they want it now. 

The NCAA makes it pretty easy for them to do this now. You see this at every level at every school. It is the new normal so get used to it Zip fans. 

 

Sorry for the ramble but thought a different perspective was needed. 

 

Go Zips 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I believe that was Jonah Morris in game #1 two years ago, after a personal foul call? 

Jonah never played for Arth, it was Hicks, I believe the UAB game, he grabbed Hicks & gave him a good butt chewing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Jonah never played for Arth, it was Hicks, I believe the UAB game, he grabbed Hicks & gave him a good butt chewing

You are correct. Sorry about that. He was injured in camp. 

 

And I haven't even started drinking today...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Jonah never played for Arth, it was Hicks, I believe the UAB game, he grabbed Hicks & gave him a good butt chewing

If you have to grab a kid to make your point, you might have a problem. There is no place for a coach to ever get physical unless it is needed to separate players fighting or otherwise prevent violence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ZippityDoDah said:

Very happy to see Julian in the portal.  This player is a typical prima donna - probably the highest percentage of missed practices and workouts on the team.  For those of you that were not at the first game - when he threw his tantrum and swore in the faces of the coaching staff using the "F" Bomb.  In my opinion Arth and his coaching staff do not punish these players for their lack of respect and discipline.  Tired of seeing the kids that try to coast through get any playing time.  Bring it to practice, bring it to all workouts - time to get better as a team not have all of these What's In It For Me players being weights around this team and bringing it down.  

I did not know he missed practices and workouts. I went players who are glad to be at Akron and want to make it better any way they can. I am not as close to the team as apparently others are. I'm thrilled to lose a cancer. The only thing that bothers me is if any player disrespects a coach that player should be gone. Arth needs to make that abundantly clear. Set an example if he must, but zero tolerance for disrespect. If you want to change the culture of an organization you must change the behavior first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't recall him cussing out the coach. I thought he got a cheap personal foul on the field (maybe threw a punch and got kicked out), and Arth got in his face about it, which is deserving. I'm not going to call him a cancer as I don't know and his attitude didn't seem out of the ordinary from what I could see. Some probably know more than I do, I'm my opinion is from the outside looking in. I also believe he initially came back here due to illness to a close family member. 

 

Reality is, he wasn't able to get on the field much here and has not thrown any low blows in his departure (unlike Akron's own Jonah Morris). Best of luck to him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I don't recall him cussing out the coach. I thought he got a cheap personal foul on the field (maybe threw a punch and got kicked out), and Arth got in his face about it, which is deserving. I'm not going to call him a cancer as I don't know and his attitude didn't seem out of the ordinary from what I could see. Some probably know more than I do, I'm my opinion is from the outside looking in. I also believe he initially came back here due to illness to a close family member. 

 

Reality is, he wasn't able to get on the field much here and has not thrown any low blows in his departure (unlike Akron's own Jonah Morris). Best of luck to him.

Jonah asked NCAA for immediate eligibility  for his mom’s health & was granted & he left & went further away as soon as he could grad transfer.  Hicks was thrown off team at Central Michigan when the new coach arrived

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bigjim said:

Good riddance.  I am tired of the current athlete who does not want to compete and participate on a team.  As soon as there is some competition, they want to leave for an easier situation.  These players need to realize that the grass is not always greener.  They need to understand the dose of reality as stated in the article above.  Look at the Zips in the portal and the offers that have been received.  They are few and far in between.  If you cannot play for Akron, there are not a lot of teams that will use a scholarship for you.  I am actually hoping that there are at least a dozen additional players who have no ability to contribute will enter the transfer portal.  This will rid the Zips of the Bowden recruits who cannot play and had only one offer for a scholly, of which TB gave one to one of these players who are not talented enough to participate in the MAC.  Let's lose some losers and save some scholarship money at the same time.  When we win 4-5 games this year and 9 next year, we will be praising Arth and his staff.   

Jim you sure believe in this staff. When will you look at it from the players perspective? There was more talent than many people realized. Hicks is a great athlete and could have helped this team if he was properly utilized. He was actually an Arth recruit. The problem was that this staff’s EGO was in the way. They are too busy trying to prove points and play their walk ons and underclassmen. Check Akron freshman roster and recent signing class.. MOST OF THESE PLAYERS HAVE ONLY RECEIVED D1 FBS OFFERS FROM AKRON. AND MOST OF THEM ARE NOT EVEN FROM OHIO AS PROMISED.

 

These players that are leaving were committed to the University of Akron to win games, compete for a MAC championship/ play in Bowl Games, and hopefully earn a shot in the NFL. 
 

not participate for participation trophies against bowling green and Umass as the worst d1 team in the country

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ZippityDoDah said:

Very happy to see Julian in the portal.  This player is a typical prima donna - probably the highest percentage of missed practices and workouts on the team.  For those of you that were not at the first game - when he threw his tantrum and swore in the faces of the coaching staff using the "F" Bomb.  In my opinion Arth and his coaching staff do not punish these players for their lack of respect and discipline.  Tired of seeing the kids that try to coast through get any playing time.  Bring it to practice, bring it to all workouts - time to get better as a team not have all of these What's In It For Me players being weights around this team and bringing it down.  

Sounds like you practice with the team too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

If you're not a regular contributor on a team that won one game in two seasons you're not likely to find many suitors in the transfer portal.  If on top of that you are a PITA you're doing the Zips a favor.

False he was a regular contributor and every day starter. He got upset after week 1 because of poor play call and he was punished all year. Someone needed to speak up to the staff on their poor ability to call plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Hicks owns his own behavior, but it doesn't seem like this is a coaching staff able to help kids be the best versions of themselves. 

 

I don't buy the line that kids who tra safer are selfish and don't want to be part of a team.

 

Things are not good in the world of Akron football.

Great point. I don’t think the players are selfish for leaving a poor program that is on a decline. Coaches have the right to leave a program for a better job or a more suitable job. Players need the right to transfer or grad transfer for a better opportunity. He is a grad transfer. There needs to be more respect since he is graduating as a Zip and has played two seasons for us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gozips19 said:

I'd like to add a few thoughts on this topic. 

Many years ago I played for UA (Not football). During that time I was not a "Starter" but I certainly thought I was better than the person playing in front of me. There were many times when I thought about my options because I wanted more exposure from pro scouts. 

See that's what many posters don't realize is that most of these kids still think they have a shot to make it in the pros. It might be a .00000001% chance of that happening but to them it's greater than that. If you're not on the field, court, diamond, erc this will never happen. This is part of what separates them as division 1 athlete's in the first place. Their desire to be great. 

Student athlete's have a couple of options if they are unhappy with their situation. 

1. They can stick it out and hope to develop and earn more playing time. Sometimes this works but often it does not. I won't lay out the reasons here. 

2. They can walk away. Happens all the time. 

3. They can find a school that values them for the skill set they have. 

A majority of today's student athlete's want positive and instant feedback so I cannot blame them for wanting to transfer. They are not loser's and in most cases not cancer's. They just want a shot and they want it now. 

The NCAA makes it pretty easy for them to do this now. You see this at every level at every school. It is the new normal so get used to it Zip fans. 

 

Sorry for the ramble but thought a different perspective was needed. 

 

Go Zips 

Thanks for sharing your perspective. Agreed. It might be lower than a .00000001% to make it to the NFL with this coaching staff. I hope they change my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to remember that these players are still young and do not deserve to be bashed for their transfer decisions. They have went through a lot over the last couple seasons.Especially when players are graduating from Akron and Grad transferring. We need to respect their decisions and wish them the best in their careers. (I am still blaming the coaching staff for our record over the last two seasons but that’s for another discussion.)

 

Nowadays the NCAA is giving the players more flexibility on transferring because players do get caught up in difficult situations or in coaching rebuilds. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deshields lost out on the QB battle to Gibson this year and with much more competition coming in, this makes sense. No need to have him clog up a scholarships the next 2-3 years. Best of luck to him. Unfortunately at this point I now believe its not going to be possible for us to get up to 85 unless someone who has entered the portal decides to return.

 

 

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, TJ!

 

TJ was 2nd on the depth chart this season.  Next season he could have possibly been 5th.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't blame him. The handwriting was on the wall. Thank you Tyler for the time you were here. I hope he finds a good fit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boogie departing is disappointing. He wasn't a star, but he was a solid MAC player. And the Zips need all the upperclassmen they can get. 

 

I get the historical argument that coaches could leave a program whenever they pleased, but players had to sit a year whenever they transferred. I also get that a student athlete has 5 years to play, and then the ride it over. So a senior who sticks with the Zips probably looks at 2021 and says..."I wanna win, and I don't see that happening in Akron in 2021, so I'm outta here." But...

 

But is it good for college athletics to have student athletes transferring whenever they please? Are those transferring going to find a landing spot, or will many of them become ordinary Joe's, paying their own way if they want to attend college?

 

It seems like a big mess. It's no fun being a 20 year old college student right now. And it can't be any fun being a college coach in 2021 either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, Boogie!  He's a grad transfer, so forever a Zip!

 

I understand him wanting to go somewhere to get PT during his final season.  Dollard was a revelation last year and is going to get the vast majority of the carries this season.  Plus, with the incoming recruiting class we're loaded at WR.  So his transferring makes sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With some of these skill players, it's tough to know how they would have emerged under better circumstances. This might be a way to find out.

 

Best of luck to Boogie!

 

17 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Boogie departing is disappointing. He wasn't a star, but he was a solid MAC player. And the Zips need all the upperclassmen they can get. 

 

I get the historical argument that coaches could leave a program whenever they pleased, but players had to sit a year whenever they transferred. I also get that a student athlete has 5 years to play, and then the ride it over. So a senior who sticks with the Zips probably looks at 2021 and says..."I wanna win, and I don't see that happening in Akron in 2021, so I'm outta here." But...

 

But is it good for college athletics to have student athletes transferring whenever they please? Are those transferring going to find a landing spot, or will many of them become ordinary Joe's, paying their own way if they want to attend college?

 

It seems like a big mess. It's no fun being a 20 year old college student right now. And it can't be any fun being a college coach in 2021 either. 

The system is so broken, it only works for the best of the P5 programs and players. Right now, Akron isn't a place where a grad player thinks they have the best shot to win or make the NFL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to see him go. I thought he could provide a lot of leadership and passion to the team next season. I agree that he was not going to get a lot of PT as a running back, but I feel his best position is as an H back, capable of running or receiving out of the slot. I wish him well and hope he experiences winning somewhere. Thanks for being a Zip Boogie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boogie is definitely one of our few transfers that could play at a program better than Akron.  Not sure how many of the others will get a chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...