MAC Men's Soccer Tournament returns to Akron ... Nov 15th and 17th

I still have no idea what the current tiebreakers are for MAC Men's Soccer, but apparently they favor Akron...

https://gozips.com/news/2019/11/5/akron-earns-right-to-host-mac-mens-soccer-championship.aspx

AKRON, Ohio - On the strength of a dramatic 3-2 comeback victory over Northern Illinois on Saturday, Nov. 2, the University of Akron men's soccer team has earned the right to host the 2019 Mid-American Conference Championship, Nov. 15-17, at FirstEnergy Stadium.

The top-seeded Zips will welcome the conference's best squads to FirstEnergy Stadium for first time since the 2016 campaign when semifinal matches are contested on Nov. 15, and the championship match on Nov. 17.

Akron will host the advancing team from the Nov. 12 quarterfinal match between the fourth and fifth tournament seeds on Nov. 15 at 6 p.m., while the No. 2 seed battles the advancing squad from the quarterfinal showdown between the third and sixth seeds at 3 p.m. The advancing teams from the semifinal contests will vie for the league's automatic NCAA bid in the title match on Nov. 17 at 1 p.m. ...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I still have no idea what the current tiebreakers are for MAC Men's Soccer, but apparently they favor Akron...

I was confused by this too, here's why the Zips are already the champs 

Tie breaker for MAC soccer teams

1. Between TWO teams:
A. Head-to-head competition

B. Division Record (10 games)^ (note: irrelevant for men's soccer)

C. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom, regardless of division, vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)

D. Coin flip

So the worst the Zips can end is 3-1-1 and the best either WMU or SIU-E can end is also 3-1-1 (but not both because they play each other). If SUI-E ends 3-1-1 the Zips win on head to head. If WMU goes 3-1-1 it drops to the highest team in the standings that you lost to. Since WMU lost to NIU and there is no way NIU can finish lower in the standings than WVU (since the Zips would have to lose to them in this scenario) that is where the Zips eliminate WMU so they are the regular season champs and host no matter what happens tomorrow.  

In any case glad to see the tournament back where it belongs ?

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WMU and SIUE tied 1-1 this afternoon. That leaves the door open to NIU to claim the #2 seed with a win at BGSU tonight at 7 pm EST. Current MAC standings are

Seed     Team      Points   MAC Record

1.            Akron       10             (4-0-1)

2/3         WMU         8             (2-1-2)

3/4          SIUE          8             (2-1-2)

2/4/5      NIU*         6             (2-2)  [2 seed with a win; 4 seed with a tie; 5 seed with a loss]

4/5         BGSU*      3              (1-3)  [4 seed with a win; 5 seed with a loss or tie]

6.              WVU         1              (0-4-1)

*Play head to head at 7 pm EST tonight.

I added seeding possibilities if I understand the tiebreakers. (WMU tied us; SIUE lost to us. I think that puts WMU ahead of SIUE)

Edited by Zip_ME87

58 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

WMU and SIUE tied 1-1 this afternoon. That leaves the door open to NIU to claim the #2 seed with a win at BGSU tonight

Zip_ME87....sorry but your math is off.  The draw makes both SIUE and WMU 2-1-2, not 3-1-1, but the rest of the math is right, they each have 8 points....

1 hour ago, Zip_ME87 said:

WMU and SIUE tied 1-1 this afternoon. That leaves the door open to NIU to claim the #2 seed with a win at BGSU tonight at 7 pm EST. Current MAC standings are

1.            Akron       10             (4-0-1)

2/3         WMU         8             (2-1-2)

3/4          SIUE          8             (2-1-2)

2/4/5      NIU*         6             (2-2)  [2 seed with a win; 4 seed with a tie; 5 seed with a loss]

4/5         BGSU*      3              (1-3)  [4 seed with a win; 5 seed with a loss or tie]

6.              WVU         1              (0-4-1)

*Play head to head at 7 pm EST tonight.

I added seeding possibilities if I understand the tiebreakers. (WMU tied us; SIUE lost to us. I think that puts WMU ahead of SIUE)

https://www.siuecougars.com/sports/m-soccer/2019-20/releases/20191109oe0e55

SIU website....agrees with you....that Western Michigan wins a tiebreaker against SIU-E.....due to their tie against the top team in the league

BGSU wins 1-0.

1             Akron       10             (4-0-1)

2            WMU         8             (2-1-2)

3            SIUE          8             (2-1-2)

4            BGSU        6              (2-3) 

5            NIU           6             (2-3)

6            WVU         1              (0-4-1)

Tuesday, November 12:

6 WVU at 3 SIUE; winner plays WMU at 3 pm Friday, November 15

5 NIU at 4 BGSU; winner plays Akron at 6 pm Friday, November 15

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, malonepioneer12 said:

Nothing like wonderful preferential treatment for the universities premier sports program.  

C'mon...common sense here.  Women's BB starts at 2 pm with Michigan and Kent State squaring off and then the Zips play at 4:30, then Men's basketball at 7:30....Zips soccer fans have a 6 pm match, and by the time the fans arrive the JAR parking lot and the ones closest to the JAR will be filled up.  Kent State always brings a crowd for WBB and especially since they're playing Michigan and the Zips women are getting bigger crowds.  Maybe the U could have worded this better and just said "please be advised parking will be limited, etc...." but they're at least letting you know this will help you avoid parking fees.  This is not a snub of the MSOC team or its fans and patrons.

Congratulations to MAC coach of the year Jared Embick 

Colin Biros, David Egbo and Carlo Ritaccio were selected to the first team

Daniel Strachan, Chris Lue and Will were chosen as 2nd team

From my perspective, Daniel Strachan was the MVP this year for zips mens soccer.   I feel that Daniel should have been MAC first team.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2019/11/14/mac-announces-2019-mens-soccer-postseason-awards.aspx

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

at least letting you know this will help you avoid parking fees.  This is not a snub of the MSOC team or its fans and patrons.

Yes, be thankful we aren't yet paying a stupidity tax/fee  or $5 a car to help make up for the lost revenues at Infocision and the JAR. Never mind the great accommodations for Soccer fans with disabilities to get from Lot 9 or Lot 39 (including blocked sidewalk) to First Energy Stadium to watch UA's premiere team in person.  

Edited by Zip_ME87

38 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Who won the first match?

Looks like the Mountaineers

West Virginia won 3-2

they were 0-4-1 in the regular season

and are now 2-0 in the conference tourney....

every team is dangerous...when the season comes downs to win or go home

• Thanks 1