MAC Men's Soccer Tournament returns to Akron ... Nov 15th and 17th

3 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

I totally agree and love the coach and staff.....but to be honest, and I think Coach would agree, to be named the MAC Coach of the Year is a little bit of an indictment on the MAC as a league.  Not many D1 coaches go 6-10-2, even with our OOC schedule, and still win a Coach of the Year Award.  These were all his lads, his recruits, and he was never able to get them to consistently play together, hold their shape, especially on Defense, and find the "ideal 11".  I know, there were numerous injuries, KEY injuries, but the claim to fame for the staff was the fact that they were able to get these kids to play well enough for 5 matches to win the MAC, a little underwhelming when you think about it.  I know this will seem sacrilegious, to many on this board, but understand, my passion is with this team and staff, and mention this only as an honest critique.  If we want a more ideal situation, we should petition the MAC to drop men's soccer as a sport and let the 4 REAL MAC member find other homes in larger, more competitive conferences, where we could lessen our need for brutal, on-the-road early-season OOC schedules, and work towards a better strength of schedule and RPI based on our conference.  I'm sure there's a Conference out there that would love to have an Akron, with our pedigree, in their mix.  Okay, crucify me for my Jared comments....   

Fair criticism in my book, as I was a bit shocked by the award too.  The team struggled mightily outside the conference.  The early OOC may have messed with this team's confidence looking back at it.

25 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

In closing I have complete confidence in Jared and his coaching staff. They will get the team back on track. They are humble. They will change what they must in themselves and not be afraid to do the same with the team. We are lucky to have them.

18 minutes ago, malonepioneer12 said:

We are fortunate to have Coach Embick.  No doubt about that.   

Totally agree. I think I posted a number of times throughout the season that I was certain the coaching staff was doing everything they could to get things going in the right direction. This is also to the point I was trying to make above about being humble, looking at things with an open mind to get to the root of what worked and didn't work, making the needed adjustments, and moving forward. Hopefully, even with the university's financial woes, Jared and staff will continue to get the needed support for recruiting, etc. to continue our tremendous Akron Men's Soccer tradition.

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

I totally agree and love the coach and staff.....but to be honest, and I think Coach would agree, to be named the MAC Coach of the Year is a little bit of an indictment on the MAC as a league.  Not many D1 coaches go 6-10-2, even with our OOC schedule, and still win a Coach of the Year Award.  These were all his lads, his recruits, and he was never able to get them to consistently play together, hold their shape, especially on Defense, and find the "ideal 11".  I know, there were numerous injuries, KEY injuries, but the claim to fame for the staff was the fact that they were able to get these kids to play well enough for 5 matches to win the MAC, a little underwhelming when you think about it.  I know this will seem sacrilegious, to many on this board, but understand, my passion is with this team and staff, and mention this only as an honest critique.  If we want a more ideal situation, we should petition the MAC to drop men's soccer as a sport and let the 4 REAL MAC member find other homes in larger, more competitive conferences, where we could lessen our need for brutal, on-the-road early-season OOC schedules, and work towards a better strength of schedule and RPI based on our conference.  I'm sure there's a Conference out there that would love to have an Akron, with our pedigree, in their mix.  Okay, crucify me for my Jared comments....   

9 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

If we want a more ideal situation, we should petition the MAC to drop men's soccer as a sport and let the 4 REAL MAC member find other homes in larger, more competitive conferences, where we could lessen our need for brutal, on-the-road early-season OOC schedules, and work towards a better strength of schedule and RPI based on our conference.  I'm sure there's a Conference out there that would love to have an Akron, with our pedigree, in their mix.  Okay, crucify me for my Jared comments....   

As far as the MAC CotY, my bet is that Jared doesn't find much meaning in it anyway. That award is given before the post season and is only based on Conference games as far as I can tell. It is meaningless. 3 College Cup appearances in 2015, 2017, and 2018 and no MAC CotY award in any of those seasons? ...hahaha. No other MAC coach even comes close to Jared, including 2013, 2014, and 2016. I'm certain 2019 is an anomaly. 

As far as leaving the MAC, that is one option. The other is to do as buflobo has been touting for sometime...get other good teams, such as Kentucky to join. We already have a Big 12 member in WVU. SIUE joined recently. Last year the MAC had a good RPI. We could build upon it.

• Like 1

After deserving the award for at least three out of the previous seven seasons, it is cruelly ironic that Jared Embick is MAC COTY upon turning in his worst season as HC.

The answer to fixing MAC Soccer is not to shrink the field of participants, but to add quality provisional members, such as U of Kentucky.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

The answer to fixing MAC Soccer is not to shrink the field of participants, but to add quality provisional members, such as U of Kentucky.  

As you were typing, I was posting...see above. Lol

I didn't quote and/or respond to everything thus far, but I think this is a great discussion with a lot of great points. I'm extremely happy to see and read all of the posts.

"Okay, crucify me for my Jared comments...." 

Zips Voice, to borrow a phrase from Stripes "Lighten up Francis". No one is going to crucify you for offering an opinion that the staff needs to up their game too. Jared will be the first to say he bears some responsibility for this season. He is open to criticism and holds himself accountable for getting better and he has proven he does just that. He gets better. That's why he is one of the best in the country.

Now can we just get back to ripping up each other over our opinions about Arth and Bowden. That is more in keeping with recent tradition on this board. Who cares that we are all Zip fans? Let's destroy anyone who doesn't believe as we do about our football coaches. Oh, and let's do it ad nauseum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The 2019 frosh contribution was underwhelming.  Jackson showed flashes but was inconsistent, Cruz looks like a competitor, but the rest didn't impress.  Did I miss an injury to Chick, where was he?  Smart as a transfer couldn't crack the lineup.

It will be interesting to see what players move on.

Edit: I like Wright's speed and hope to see more in 2020.

Edited by zippypitt
Added info

2 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Corner Kicks.  Execute them efficiently...  

Yes!!

The rest of your post was above my pay grade. Lol.  But, even as a novice soccer fan, I would be a nervous wreck every time the opposing side attempted a CK, but, conversely, was never overly excited or hopeful when we would attempt one.  I only remember us scoring on a CK once all season.  And I really like how Biros curves those CK's into the box.  But still... nothing.  Technically I couldn't tell you why, but even I can tell something is amiss in that area of our game.

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

After deserving the award for at least three out of the previous seven seasons, it is cruelly ironic that Jared Embick is MAC COTY upon turning in his worst season as HC.

Didn't UK used to be a member of the MAC in men's soccer?

44 minutes ago, zippypitt said:

The 2019 frosh contribution was underwhelming.  Jackson showed flashes but was inconsistent, Cruz looks like a competitor, but the rest didn't impress.  Did I miss an injury to Chick, where was he?  Smart as a transfer couldn't crack the lineup.

It will be interesting to see what players move on.

Edit: I like Wright's speed and hope to see more in 2020.

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Didn't UK used to be a member of the MAC in men's soccer?

Yes.  Hiking at the moment, so I cannot list the years.  For most of a decade, as I recall.

The discussion on this board today has been outstanding...and super inspiring

ZippyPitt commented on the generally positive overall vibe.........

Yes, some posters definitely had rose colored glasses

the most egregious example of this....was ZipaZip on September 30 (after the Cornell game)

YipaZip post on September 30

Apart from Lundt, this team is stronger in all areas compared to last years team. 

MalonePioneer did a very good analysis today....on how much that the team lost from last year....

I made several posts after the Cornell game....arguing with YipaZip's inane statement... I followed up with a 2nd post....about Abdi and Skye...

My first post arguing with YipaZip....mentioned a player that I don't think...has been mentioned today.   (Morgan Hackworth).  To follow up on someone's else post about last year's leaders keeping David Egbo positive.....Morgan was a very mature and smart team player and he provided good direction for David and others.

my post from late September...early October

Which outside forward on this year's team are you saying....is stronger than Marcel Zajac?

this team is badly missing Marcel Zajac.  Will Jackson is going to be a very good player....but Marcel Zajac was truly outstanding in the tournament run.  Zajac was my zips MVP in the MAC tourney and NCAA tourney.

Also, do not underestimate the loss of Morgan Hackworth.   Morgan might not have the athletic ability of some on this team but he was a coach's son.  Morgan was very technically sound and he was the ultimate team player.    Morgan made others on the field better.   He rarely made sloppy giveaways in the midfield and he won a large portion of 50/50 balls.

12 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

Yes.  Hiking at the moment, so I cannot list the years.  For most of a decade, as I recall.

Yes sir... 1995 to 2004, according to this...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Wildcats_men's_soccer

on the coaching discussion, did Akron U. budget troubles cause a loss of one assistant?

I know that Leo Chappell left mysteriously before the great NCAA run.

However, for most of 2018, the team had Jared, Leo Chappell , Ger Coppinger and TJ Kolba

2019 team had Jared, Ger and Michael Nanchoff.

3 instead of 4....

I know that TJ deservedly earned a promotion to full time assistant and went to Michigan State

I know that akron hired a director of soccer operations this year.

Will Akron go back to having 3 assistants working for Jared in 2020?

The Zips coaching staff this season consisted of Jared, Ger, Michael Nanchoff, Drew Crawford (Director of Soccer Operations) and Sam Gainford, whom I believe was a volunteer assistant.

TennZip - great call.  I thought I was missing someone from last year.  Morgan Hackworth improved significantly during the years he was at Akron.  He constantly gave great effort and he was a stabilizing force in the midfield last year.  Someone else that we struggled to replace this year.  Also someone who proved me wrong.  I didn’t think he was Akron material but I was happy to eat my words last year.  

10 minutes ago, malonepioneer12 said:

TennZip - great call.  I thought I was missing someone from last year.  Morgan Hackworth improved significantly during the years he was at Akron.  He constantly gave great effort and he was a stabilizing force in the midfield last year.  Someone else that we struggled to replace this year.  Also someone who proved me wrong.  I didn’t think he was Akron material but I was happy to eat my words last year.  

Yes, TennZip.  Morgan Hackworth's calm decisions were sorely missed in 2019.

4 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

As freshmen go, I would call Mani Austmann the surprise pick of the litter, followed by highly touted Will Jackson.

I am optimistic that Natnael McDonald will have an impact in 2020.   He missed the entire season due to injury.   He was as highly touted as Will Jackson.

When we look at the 2020 incoming recruiting class, hopefully a hidden gem from the 2019 recruiting class.....will have a large impact on the 2020 season.

Wishing you good health to Natnael.  The Zips need you.