Game 2- West Virginia

clarkwgriswold

49 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

The 50 point loss to VCU didn't make you mad?  How about the great Pat Forsythe?  Drug dealing point guard?  Harney, Gilliam, and Treadwell...all put team first, right?  I watch this video and think about what happened a week later in Detroit and the two other double digit NCAA tourney losses.  KD and his teams gave us a lot of fun and Akron pride, but I think it was time for him to move on.  Time for Groce and his team to step up and win some big games.

Nope.  Larry Williams bound him, gagged him, put him in his trunk and dropped him at the doors of Duquesne's gym.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The 50 point loss to VCU didn't make you mad?  How about the great Pat Forsythe?  Drug dealing point guard?  Harney, Gilliam, and Treadwell...all put team first, right?  I watch this video and think about what happened a week later in Detroit and the two other double digit NCAA tourney losses.  KD and his teams gave us a lot of fun and Akron pride, but I think it was time for him to move on.  Time for Groce and his team to step up and win some big games.

I was at that game.  But it was a great season getting there.  You just listed all of the negatives in 10 years.  In 2 years with Groce we had one event that tops all of the above and is now in litigation.  When you are looking at all the empty seats at the Jar you will see that you are clearly in the minority when you think that this program is getting better after KD left.  Groce has better athletes, better defense, and a much physically stronger squad.  However, last year this team could not shoot the 3 ball and the offense was horrific.  Last year we had 4 centers that had no offense.  I wish somebody could tell me why so many athletes have transferred out of Groce's program.  I hope you are right in that Groce will have a breakout season.  Maybe I am gun shy after watching football.  Go Zips!!    

On 11/6/2019 at 7:07 AM, Blue & Gold said:

The game should be streamed here; WVU's athletics website.

The game is blacked out in the AT&T Sports Network viewing area.  I don't know what that is but I know it's not us.

I'm able to watch the soccer game at the moment on the same network, so maybe the basketball game will be available, too. Can't seem to cast it to my Chromecast, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I don't think anyone believes Groce's squads are better than KD's.  Many of is do believe, however, that Groce's teams have improved every year.

I think he inherited a nightmare. Not being an insider, I don't know the details of KD's departure, just that he took some players with him along with some recruits. I made the point at the time that those kids were recruited with the University's money, not KD's.

That being said, I give him a total pass for year one. He walking into a mess. Year two he had some holdovers and some new guys, and people transferring out.

This year is his make or break year. I am not saying he has to get to the dance, but he MUST have a winning record and be competitive in the MAC. This year's freshmen were sophomores in high school when he took over. He has had the time to recruit and train a team. He needs to get it done now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

I think he inherited a nightmare. Not being an insider, I don't know the details of KD's departure, just that he took some players with him along with some recruits. I made the point at the time that those kids were recruited with the University's money, not KD's.

That being said, I give him a total pass for year one. He walking into a mess. Year two he had some holdovers and some new guys, and people transferring out.

This year is his make or break year. I am not saying he has to get to the dance, but he MUST have a winning record and be competitive in the MAC. This year's freshmen were sophomores in high school when he took over. He has had the time to recruit and train a team. He needs to get it done now.

That's a pretty sold assessment akronzips71.

I spoke to Groce at the Ice Cream Social and told him that I appreciated how the team had steadily improved in his time here.  He told me that when he was contemplating taking the job he spoke to his assistants and they all believed the team could come up to speed fairly quickly because of the core of the team left after the season.  By the time they got here, they were down to 5 kids and really had to scramble.  From then to now, they've steadily improved.  This should be the year they start to really become competitive.

10 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

This is about as accurate an assessment as you can make. Well said. When you look at the past couple of seasons, we've been a couple made shots away from flipping the records. The biggest thing I appreciate from Groce's teams thus far is their commitment to the defensive side of the ball. I think we took for granted last year what it meant to have a top 25 defense IN THE COUNTRY. It's an aspect of basketball that is quietly disappearing as AAU continues to promote offensive stat sheets over basketball fundamentals. Hopefully the shots fall this season as we continue to commit to high-intensity defense. We'll see tonight pretty quickly if this team has bought in from the get-go, or if we'll need 2 months of OOC basketball to develop the commitment to the fundamentals we've seen in recent seasons. If WVU doesn't get you amped up, sheesh. 

14 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That's a pretty sold assessment akronzips71.

I spoke to Groce at the Ice Cream Social and told him that I appreciated how the team had steadily improved in his time here.  He told me that when he was contemplating taking the job he spoke to his assistants and they all believed the team could come up to speed fairly quickly because of the core of the team left after the season.  By the time they got here, they were down to 5 kids and really had to scramble.  From then to now, they've steadily improved.  This should be the year they start to really become competitive.

Wow. Thanks for that insight. I wonder if other coaches trust previous players to stay through a coaching change when they take over the program. I'd have to imagine Parrish was one of the key pieces. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

11 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

That being said, I give him a total pass for year one. He walking into a mess.

Right.......a little hypocritical since you started a football thread about a first year coach who inherited a mess with:

"Can we please fire this "coach"?

Not at the end of the season.

NOW."

• Haha 1

I think Akron has a chance to make this a very close game.. The Zips have a tendency to play good teams very well. (look at last year when they almost beat #16 Clemson and #7 Nevada). Upon looking at the big 12 power rankings WVU is among the bottom half of the teams, therefore, they may not be as good as many commentators (mainly ESPN) are predicting. In addition to their low ranking, they're also going to be playing their first game, as a result, they may be rusty and come out of the gate slow. 

5 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Right.......a little hypocritical since you started a football thread about a first year coach who inherited a mess with:

"Can we please fire this "coach"?

Not at the end of the season.

NOW."

As usual you blow more hot air than Adam Sciff

Arth walked into a program that had recently been to bowl games and MAC championship games. Bowden did not take players and recruits with him. Bowden won 4 games his last season.

Groce's team last year just could not close. They were in most games, and did not finish.

And as stated he only started his first year with 5 returning players.

Of course, you know that Groce was a successful coach in the MAC and was a Big 10 coach.

Yet you compare him to Arth who has no business being in D1.

Get off that soapbox.

Edited by akronzips71