Game 3- North Carolina Central

clarkwgriswold

North Carolina Central comes into the JAR on the 18th.  Looking at their roster, I see that SVSM grad Jabri Blount (Mel Blount's son) is on the roster.  Looks like the team had 7 seniors last year.  Blount, a 6-7 senior forward,  is the top returning player averaging 10.1 points, , 4.4  rebounds and 1.6 assists as a junior.  In 2019, the Eagles went  to a third-consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance by winning the MEAC Tournament for a third-straight year.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

North Carolina Central comes into the JAR on the 18th.  Looking at their roster, I see that SVSM grad Jabri Blount (Mel Blount's son) is on the roster.  Looks like the team had 7 seniors last year.  Blount, a 6-7 senior forward,  is the top returning player averaging 10.1 points, , 4.4  rebounds and 1.6 assists as a junior.  In 2019, the Eagles went  to a third-consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance by winning the MEAC Tournament for a third-straight year.

So your early scouting report sounds like we might have a better (tougher) game than I expected.....game is on the 15th, Friday, by the way ? ...SC Upstate is on the 18th.  Busy day/night as well.  Zips MSOC host the MAC Tournament with a 3 pm and 6 pm (Zips match) at FES, and the Women's basketball team hosts the Akron Classic, with the Michigan Wolverines taking on Kent State at 2 pm at the JAR, then the Zips WBB take on the IUPW Mastedons at 4:30 just prior to the Zips MBB game.  Too bad this is n't all happening on a Saturday or Sunday for more fan attendance.  May be nice to see both Zips BB teams play back-to-back....

Edited by ZipsVoice

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

So your early scouting report sounds like we might have a better (tougher) game than I expected.....game is on the 15th, Friday, by the way ? ...SC Upstate is on the 18th.  Busy day/night as well.  Zips MSOC host the MAC Tournament with a 3 pm and 6 pm (Zips match) at FES, and the Women's basketball team hosts the Akron Classic, with the Michigan Wolverines taking on Kent State at 2 pm at the JAR, then the Zips WBB take on the IUPW Mastedons at 4:30 just prior to the Zips MBB game.  Too bad this is n't all happening on a Saturday or Sunday for more fan attendance.  May be nice to see both Zips BB teams play back-to-back....

I just figured they were yet another OOC directional school but they seem to be building a nice program down there.  Oddly, they haven't yet played a game but will play two (tonight and Monday) before the Zips face them.

NACOGDOCHES, Texas -- Kevon Harris had 32 points as Stephen F. Austin rolled past North Carolina Central 94-64 on Saturday.

Roti Ware had 13 points for Stephen F. Austin (2-0). Sama'Zha Hart added 12 points.

The Lumberjacks were up 40-38 at the break. They dominated the second half, 54-26, to win going away. SFA scored 42 points in the paint and had 35 points off 31 NCCU's turnovers.

Nicolas Fennell and Randy Miller Jr. had 12 points apiece for the Eagles (0-1). Ty Graves added 10 points.

Stephen F. Austin plays Niagara at home on Wednesday. NC Central plays South Carolina Upstate at home on Monday.

---

• Thanks 1

I remember when Blount ended up at SVSM after going to school in the Pittsburgh area.  He was interviewed after a big game against Hoban by a Beacon reporter and told the reporter he had played AAU for Coach Dru and told him he wanted to play for SVSM and Coach Dru told him he "would make it happen."  As you might imagine, that did not go over well with the SVSM critics.  LOL.

Jeremy wasn't going to get much PT.  Good luck, Jeremy!

We're left with 9 regulars in the rotation.  It was noted on here by those who were able to watch the WVU game that Sayles looks like he's running in sand compared to the rest of our players.  So, I guess we're really left with 8 players who will see the majority of our available minutes:

PG - LCJ

PG - Tribble

W - Cheese

W - Banks

W - Ali

P - Reece

P - Riak

P - X

P - Sayles

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Jeremy wasn't going to get much PT.  Good luck, Jeremy!

We're left with 9 regulars in the rotation.  It was noted on here by those who were able to watch the WVU game that Sayles looks like he's running in sand compared to the rest of our players.  So, I guess we're really left with 8 players who will see the majority of our available minutes:

PG - LCJ

PG - Tribble

W - Cheese

W - Banks

W - Ali

P - Reece

P - Riak

P - X

P - Sayles

Unfortunately, not a big surprise here. From Uplift HS in Chicago to Victory Rock Prep to Southern Illinois to Panola JC to Akron to... Recruiting like this is one of the reasons I'm having trouble warming up to Groce's program. Hope the kid finds a place he is content.

• Like 2

If this kid Freeman is any good (High School: Led St. Martin De Porres High School ... earned First-Team All-Lake Effect Conference as a senior and runner-up conference Player of the Year ...  averaged a double-double as a senior with 12 points and 10 rebounds per game ... dished out 4.6 assists per game)

We should immediately give him this scholly and burn his redshirt. Else he may be in the wind.

Apparently we suddenly have some extra money, may as well spend it. Can always take it back if he does not work out.

5 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Unfortunately, not a big surprise here. From Uplift HS in Chicago to Victory Rock Prep to Southern Illinois to Panola JC to Akron to... Recruiting like this is one of the reasons I'm having trouble warming up to Groce's program. Hope the kid finds a place he is content.

He had some decent minutes last year.   I was surprised that he got no time at West Virginia.  Another bites the dust.  It amazes me how many kids have transferred out of this program in a little over 2 years

9 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

If this kid Freeman is any good (High School: Led St. Martin De Porres High School ... earned First-Team All-Lake Effect Conference as a senior and runner-up conference Player of the Year ...  averaged a double-double as a senior with 12 points and 10 rebounds per game ... dished out 4.6 assists per game)

We should immediately give him this scholly and burn his redshirt. Else he may be in the wind.

Apparently we suddenly have some extra money, may as well spend it. Can always take it back if he does not work out.

That's the problem.   He's not that good.  He may look good against 6 foot tall kids in the Akron Canton league, but there's a reason he's a walk on and hasn't played a minute thus far.  He's end of the bench talent.  If he ends up in the wind, it's going to blow him to Malone, Wooster or Hiram.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guys transferring out that were fringe players these last 2 years to begin with, should point to the program moving in a positive direction. 

Directional Carolinas get me almost as excited as Directional Michigans, but NC Central is actually a decent OOC opponent with all of their recent tourney experience. 

On 11/9/2019 at 3:26 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

I just figured they were yet another OOC directional school but they seem to be building a nice program down there.  Oddly, they haven't yet played a game but will play two (tonight and Monday) before the Zips face them.

Yes, the Zips better gird their loins for both NC Central and SC upstate.

NCC is currently rated by KenPom as the 330 best DI team (Sagarin has them at 294); way better than

SCU which is rated 346 by KenPom and 338 by Sagarin but both should present a similar challenge to the Zips.

16 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I just know they've made the tournament in 3 of the last 4 years.  They did it through the MEAC though, so who knows.

I believe KenPom, Sagarin and I know that both NCC and SCU blow.

The NCAA could open up several D1 tournament spots for more deserving teams by giving the winner of conferences like the MEAC and SWAC an automatic bid to the D2 tournament where they would be more competitive.