Game 3- North Carolina Central

clarkwgriswold

The Zips have certainly played worse teams in the early OOC, but that was just an awful performance.  Even the 1350 feed gave up shortly after the game.  It apparently wanted to make no more of an effort than the Zips.

They need to learn that if they occasionally go to the hole with authority that it will loosen up the perimeter defense.  On the night, they did that once when X had his slam.  Otherwise they dribble just to look to dish for a three and they either do or gt trapped and in trouble.  They should also NEVER be out-efforted, which appeared to be the case tonight.  That team was obviously out talented, but they sure play hard.

55 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips have certainly played worse teams in the early OOC, but that was just an awful performance.  Even the 1350 feed gave up shortly after the game.  It apparently wanted to make no more of an effort than the Zips.

They need to learn that if they occasionally go to the hole with authority that it will loosen up the perimeter defense.  On the night, they did that once when X had his slam.  Otherwise they dribble just to look to dish for a three and they either do or gt trapped and in trouble.  They should also NEVER be out-efforted, which appeared to be the case tonight.  That team was obviously out talented, but they sure play hard.

I saw a group of players who were just screwing around.  they never lost the lead, and they figured they could dial it in like arrogant jocks.

That is one of the ugliest basketball games I have ever watched.  Run down the floor, drive to the basket, dish for a three and miss the 3.  A lot of turnovers tonight.   If this team had played a decent team they would have gotten killed.   I liked how we played in West Virginia, there was an offensive flow.  Did not see anything like that tonight.  The team shot 25% from the field and from the 3 line.  They got bailed out by the refs and shot at least 10 more foul shots than the visiting team.  I just don't know about LCJ.  He kept driving to the basket and missing a layup or turning the ball over among the trees.  LCJ got his points at the end of the game making foul shots. I just wonder if this team will be repeat of last year when we were one of the worst shooting teams in the nation.  

8 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

LCJ is out of control. Needs to calm down and set up plays.

At the end, when we needed to run the clock, he ran right down and chucked.

Freshman mistakes, not a freshman.

LCJ makes free throws and that keeps him in the game at the end.  One ref called and offensive foul on LCJ when he did one of his "half-flops."  that was good to see.  Reece played much better at WVU.

9 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

That is one of the ugliest basketball games I have ever watched.  

I thought the same.  I was going to take a friend (always trying to introduce ppl to Zips athletics) but he bailed on me last minute.  So I just watched the game at home.  In hindsight I'm glad my friend bailed.  I wouldn't have wanted that to be his first impression of Zips basketball.

I'm all for more uptempo.. but that effort was so ugly and uncoordinated it felt like watching YMCA ball.

I wish I could have seen the WVU game.  Everyone on here was positive about the team's performance even though we got the L.

Tonight everyone is rightly critical of the team's performance even though we got the W.  It's a great thing to have objective posters like you guys.

Maybe NWAkron is right and they were just screwing around tonight.  If... IF... that's the case I don't like it on a number of levels.  I don't pay $$ to watch a team screw around.  I hope I never see an effort so ugly the rest of the season.  Respect the game.