Game 3- North Carolina Central

clarkwgriswold

24 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ: Zips struggle on offense in victory

GT had the same observation we did:

The Zips’ (2-1) primary opponent on the court was themselves...What should be concerning for coach John Groce and UA fans was the lack of energy and intensity on display in what could have been an easy game.

Lazy and sloppy.  LCJ chucking the early 3 is just lazy, sloppy basketball.  Banks chucking a 3 and shortening a possession under 2 minutes was just lazy and sloppy.  I think that Reece and Williams want to work out there but LCJ and Banks weren't willing to put in the effort.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm all for more uptempo.. but that effort was so ugly and uncoordinated it felt like watching YMCA ball.

This is exactly how I felt. I was thinking this is like watching a game at the Rec. Center on campus.

It's good that Ali and X can bring the ball up the court if necessary, it's another thing for them to think they can run the offense. Get the ball to one of the guards and get back already.

Edited by Illini Zip

I also sensed in the Malone game that they were playing in "relaxed"" mode.  Maybe they're the rare team that can turn it on and off (highly unlikely), but I demand more of an effort for my $4 ticket!  They are deep enough now to play hard for forty minutes now.  If they'd have played as hard as the kids from NNC, that game would have been a blowout.

LCC needs to realize we need a playmaker, not a scorer.  They seem to too often penetrate with reckless abandon into trouble or just throw up a hasty three.  Cheese seems to be the only guy on the team who realizes a shot can be taken between 2 and 22 feet.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

LCJ needs to realize we need a playmaker, not a scorer.

He needs to be both, but wisely.

Groce wants his point guards to able and willing to hit a long three if left alone. That pulls the defense out and opens the lane. But I agree with everyone's sentiment that LCJ isn't choosing his moment's intelligently and it often looks like he is just chucking it. He should always be considering time and score for starters. We had a point guard at Illinois who when left alone from 5 feet beyond the arc would make teams pay constantly. LCJ is not Brandon Paul. He's not nearly as strong and needs to shorten his range.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

He needs to be both, but wisely.

Groce wants his point guards to able and willing to hit a long three if left alone. That pulls the defense out and opens the lane. But I agree with everyone's sentiment that LCJ isn't choosing his moment's intelligently and it often looks like he is just chucking it. He should always be considering time and score for starters. We had a point guard at Illinois who when left alone from 5 feet beyond the arc would make teams pay constantly. LCJ is not Brandon Paul. He's not nearly as strong and needs to shorten his range.

He's no Offut, Cooper, or Bassett.  Groce may keep hoping and thinking that he will be, but he's not going to develop a consistent shot at this stage in his career.  

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 12:11 AM, 1981 grad said:

He had some decent minutes last year.   I was surprised that he got no time at West Virginia.  Another bites the dust.  It amazes me how many kids have transferred out of this program in a little over 2 years

+1

On 11/16/2019 at 4:35 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Maybe they're the rare team that can turn it on and off (highly unlikely), but I demand more of an effort for my $4 ticket! 

More than the $4, it's the time invested to travel down to the JAR in the middle of winter.

Coaches and players want the JAR packed with fans. I do too.

But it's really tough to justify a weeknight trek down RT 8 to watch uninspired, rec league style basketball against bad competition. 

Hope the team puts forth a better effort tonight. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...