Game 10: Zips -v- EMU - Nov.12, 6:00 p.m.

Blue & Gold

23 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Okay, I'll sacrifice myself here....but, there were a few positives, nothing great but definite progress.  Up until the 4th period, no penalties, they've really cut down on them the last tow games Sign of player discipline improving?  Kato played a solid game, IMO.  He threw a couple crappers, but a couple real strikes.  They only had one turnover, and that was a fantastic feet-down interception of a great pass.  The line gave him pretty good protection, and when they didn't, he kept his cool mostly and evaded well.  He just can't stop himself for some reason from a sideline altercation though.  Boogie had lots of touches and nice catches.  Nothing good to say about defense, other than the guys are trying.  Anyway, tear away.....

I"m only searching for answers.  Basketball is so much easier to understand.  I could look at the team Groce had the first year and see what was missing and what was going wrong.  I've never professed to have any football acumen, but, damn, this is hard for me to figure out.  I like that you gave some positives.  I went out there tonight, and it was a miserable experience, and I left angry and pissed off (and I've sat through all sorts of weather conditions for Zips games).  I would like to hear an honest assessment from the coach and AD on what is wrong and what is the game plan.  They at least owe that to that 57 fans who went out there tonight.  And they owe it to the band who no one sees play and the cheerleaders no one sees cheer and the dance team no one sees dance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I"m only searching for answers.  Basketball is so much easier to understand.  I could look at the team Groce had the first year and see what was missing and what was going wrong.  I've never professed to have any football acumen, but, damn, this is hard for me to figure out.  I like that you gave some positives.  I went out there tonight, and it was a miserable experience, and I left angry and pissed off (and I've sat through all sorts of weather conditions for Zips games).  I would like to hear an honest assessment from the coach and AD on what is wrong and what is the game plan.  They at least owe that to that 57 fans who went out there tonight.  And they owe it to the band who no one sees play and the cheerleaders no one sees cheer and the dance team no one sees dance.

Just wanted to correct you on attendance ?

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

Santa Ana Mater Dei or St John Bosco, the two powerhouse high schools out here in California could beat the Zips. I don’t think I have ever seen or more pathetic example for an FBS program. I really hope Arth can turn this around for a number of reasons. I feel sorry for the embarrassment that these kids have to face every week. ?

Be careful with comments like that...you might get banned!  

10 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Hope we get 5 grad transfer OL’s and 5 grad transfer DL’s for 2020.

And how exactly are these OL and DL transfers going to get to Akron?  It's an 0-12 team, with a no-name head-coach...in the middle of Ohio. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

Be careful with comments like that...you might get banned!  

And how exactly are these OL and DL transfers going to get to Akron?  It's an 0-12 team, with a no-name head-coach...in the middle of Ohio. 

Yup. Bowden was able to do it. He had name recognition and assistant coaches with name recognition, especially on defense. I don't see how Arth pulls it off. He wasn't in SEC long enough to develop strong ties.

I will be honest, I watched some of Q1 but had the game on while I was working last night so I was mainly monitoring the score. I cannot make myself watch this horrible execution of play, any longer. 

I feel bad for Alvin Davis. He is a high level player and it will be hard for him to get any attention because opposing offenses basically can design plays away from him.

Our OL looked much improved.  I really liked what I saw out of Xavior Gray at LT.  He'll retain his redshirt and he looks like he'll be a four year starter.  X was the missing element.  With X at LT, we were able to move Trevor Brown to RT and shore up the right side of the line, which had been the problem all season long.

Peter Hayes-Patrick finally saw considerable game action.  I thought he looked pretty good.  A few times he zigged when he should have zagged and missed some running lanes, but of course it's easier to see that when you have more of a bird's eye view.

Someone lamented that we don't have a big back like EMU's tank.  Well, let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't lose the commitment of DeAndre Bulley (6-1, 220).  He's tearing up Michigan high school football right now & if we sign him we certainly will.  But Hayes-Patrick is a pretty big back himself, coming in at 6-0, 210.

It was pretty thrilling see Timothy Scippio with the long TD catch.  He's a hard worker who always seems to stay positive, so it's great to see him have a highlight like that.  

Jeremiah Knight continues to impress.  I like Julian Hicks.  We were ridiculously deep at WR to begin the season.  But the game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage.

I'm breathing a sigh of relief that Davon'te Jest is okay.  (Last night on twitter he indicated that he is.)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Our OL looked much improved.  I really liked what I saw out of Xavior Gray at LT.  He'll retain his redshirt and he looks like he'll be a four year starter.  X was the missing element.  With X at LT, we were able to move Trevor Brown to RT and shore up the right side of the line, which had been the problem all season long.

Peter Hayes-Patrick finally saw considerable game action.  I thought he looked pretty good.  A few times he zigged when he should have zagged and missed some running lanes, but of course it's easier to see that when you have more of a bird's eye view.

Someone lamented that we don't have a big back like EMU's tank.  Well, let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't lose the commitment of DeAndre Bulley (6-1, 220).  He's tearing up Michigan high school football right now & if we sign him we certainly will.  But Hayes-Patrick is a pretty big back himself, coming in at 6-0, 210.

It was pretty thrilling see Timothy Scippio with the long TD catch.  He's a hard worker who always seems to stay positive, so it's great to see him have a highlight like that.  

Jeremiah Knight continues to impress.  I like Julian Hicks.  We were ridiculously deep at WR to begin the season.  But the game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage.

I'm breathing a sigh of relief that Davon'te Jest is okay.  (Last night on twitter he indicated that he is.)

I also was impressed with Gray on the couple plays I focused on him.

41 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I appreciate reading those positive notes.  Those 14 points should have been on the first two possessions.

^^At the 8:18 mark, did he say Xavior Gray "got his 3rd game under his belt"?  If so, I guess he'll only be able to play in one of the remaining two games.

At the end of the press conference Arth states that Xavior Gray had surgery 3 weeks ago.

Edited by Blue & Gold

8 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Just wanted to correct you on attendance ?

Announced attendance is always about 10,000 more than are actually there. I think due to Coke or Pepsi buying them as part of their sponsorship. The sad thing is the university can't or doesn't find a way to give the tickets away so some will be used.

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think Gray definitely helped & putting Brown at right tackle definitely helped, but center play with snaps all over the place & right guard are still huge holes that need addressed, it seems 72 gets beat nearly every play & is always near bye to help up the qb or rb & to offer his condolences 

42 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I think Gray definitely helped & putting Brown at right tackle definitely helped, but center play with snaps all over the place & right guard are still huge holes that need addressed, it seems 72 gets beat nearly every play & is always near bye to help up the qb or rb & to offer his condolences 

Yes, Yes, Yes.  Could not agree with you more.  I  liked Gray but until 72 (Corne) and 53 (Peterson) are addressed, we are not going anywhere.  I have said all year long that Corne needs replaced.  I was not sure about Peterson until recently but his continual snap miscues are killing us.  They finally tried one Freshman, I would go back to the well and see if another one or two could help out.  What do we have to lose.  Plus the Freshman are hungry to play which is a hole other conversation to have about most of our current OL starters.

5 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Announced attendance is always about 10,000 more than are actually there. I think due to Coke or Pepsi buying them as part of their sponsorship. The sad thing is the university can't or doesn't find a way to give the tickets away so some will be used.

Or EMU fans really travel!  ?

7 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Announced attendance is always about 10,000 more than are actually there.

I don't think it's fair to count everyone on campus...

Let's be real here, did anyone really think that anyone was going to show up for a Tuesday 6pm game in a blizzard featuring two teams with losing records when it was going to be on television?  No.  Sure, the attendance number was inflated by 10,000 - no big surprise there.

These midweek MAC games are terrible ideas.  They kill the premise of what college football should be about - which is tailgating, a campus coming together with students & alumni cheering on a team in unity.  No one watches these games on ESPNX and in this day and age of 700 channels you'd probably get more viewership over a YouTube Stream.  That's where the younger generation is consuming video, not on expanded tier premium cable.  That idea is so 1999.

Kudos of gargantuan proportion to the Zips Marching Band as they were out in force and making noise.  Great job!  It's gotta be hard to be so cheerful when the product on the field is what it is.

• Like 1

Folks! I have had season tix since way back in the Rubber Bowl days. I did not attend last night not because I thought U of A was going to get blown out,which they did. BUT, because the game was meaningless, the Akron Athletic Dept. treats fans as if this is the Big 10. They think they can nickel an dime revenue out of attendance. NEVER HAPPENED! NEVER WILL!

I did not attend last night. First time since 2009 I have not. See above!  Whether Arth is the answer or not. Who cares?! Bleeding cash. Not winning consistently. Where do we go!!!???

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Zippyroo said:

Yes, Yes, Yes.  Could not agree with you more.  I  liked Gray but until 72 (Corne) and 53 (Peterson) are addressed, we are not going anywhere.  I have said all year long that Corne needs replaced.  I was not sure about Peterson until recently but his continual snap miscues are killing us.  They finally tried one Freshman, I would go back to the well and see if another one or two could help out.  What do we have to lose.  Plus the Freshman are hungry to play which is a hole other conversation to have about most of our current OL starters.

What do you know? We have lost White, Alce, Suggs, Floyd, Reese, and Sands (who never seemed to recover from his leg injury) at running back. We are one dimensional on offense. We get in 3rd and long and repeatedly the blitz comes from the opposition. How can we compete? - get some damn  running backs - our only scholarship back is a true freshman. Wake up Akron fans - it's the backfield you should be concentrating on for improvement on offense.           

Edited by UA1987

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

Folks! I have had season tix since way back in the Rubber Bowl days. I did not attend last night not because I thought U of A was going to get blown out,which they did. BUT, because the game was meaningless, the Akron Athletic Dept. treats fans as if this is the Big 10. They think they can nickel an dime revenue out of attendance. NEVER HAPPENED! NEVER WILL!

I did not attend last night. First time since 2009 I have not. See above!  Whether Arth is the answer or not. Who cares?! Bleeding cash. Not winning consistently. Where do we go!!!???

As an Akron-in-law, I hate to see such great fans as you losing heart, but I understand. 

3 hours ago, UA1987 said:

What do you know? We have lost White, Alce, Suggs, Floyd, Reese, and Sands (who never seemed to recover from his leg injury) at running back. We are one dimensional on offense. We get in 3rd and long and repeatedly the blitz comes from the opposition. How can we compete? - get some damn  running backs - our only scholarship back is a true freshman. Wake up Akron fans - it's the backfield you should be concentrating on for improvement on offense.           

I liked the fact we used some new OL. X looked pretty good. We need to look at some more young guys for help. I watched a TE and NT limp all night long. How can we stop anyone or block & run with injured players? There has to be some other guys. Receivers seem to get open and Kato found them.As far as a big back, we have a 240lb fullback on the roster. Why in the heck are we not using a back this size to leed block and create holes for our backs? I don't see 43 on the sidelines. Is he hurt?  

What’s so frustrating is this was a year Bowden staff was expecting to compete. Reason being is this was their QB. Injuries effected them last year. Still have some of the best facilites if not the best in the Mac. They constantly said last night they need to score first because they have an loser attitude.  where he we go again and start hanging their heads. They have not been losers so I don’t understand that. Once a Zip always A Zip hope Arth can turn it around but it’s troubling that he never won at Chattanooga. He should be on the same leach as Ianello. Rob knew he lost the team and it was to late when he made changes Arth what are you going to do different.