Game 10: Zips -v- EMU - Nov.12, 6:00 p.m.

Blue & Gold

19 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Announced attendance is always about 10,000 more than are actually there. I think due to Coke or Pepsi buying them as part of their sponsorship. The sad thing is the university can't or doesn't find a way to give the tickets away so some will be used.

No-one is going to go to a weekday Akron Zips game.  I have the Alumni season ticket plan, and it's not worth the gas I put into my car and the time I'd put into driving over to the stadium for this crap-show.  They could give me a ticket for free and I'd still have zero incentive to go.

10 hours ago, UA1987 said:

What do you know? We have lost White, Alce, Suggs, Floyd, Reese, and Sands (who never seemed to recover from his leg injury) at running back. We are one dimensional on offense. We get in 3rd and long and repeatedly the blitz comes from the opposition. How can we compete? - get some damn  running backs - our only scholarship back is a true freshman. Wake up Akron fans - it's the backfield you should be concentrating on for improvement on offense.           

We haven't had a running back since Jawon Chisholm and Conor Hundley.  And even when Hundley was here we had to go to Cody Grice to pick up 3rd-and-1.

3 hours ago, Hugo42 said:

What’s so frustrating is this was a year Bowden staff was expecting to compete. Reason being is this was their QB. Injuries effected them last year. Still have some of the best facilites if not the best in the Mac. They constantly said last night they need to score first because they have an loser attitude.  where he we go again and start hanging their heads. They have not been losers so I don’t understand that. Once a Zip always A Zip hope Arth can turn it around but it’s troubling that he never won at Chattanooga. He should be on the same leach as Ianello. Rob knew he lost the team and it was to late when he made changes Arth what are you going to do different.

The answer is no.  Arth will be no different than Ianello.  The U will find itself in the same situation in a years time, but there will not be another Terry Bowden in waiting to come save the Akron Zips football program.

8 hours ago, John Ward said:

I don't see 43 on the sidelines. Is he hurt?  

I don't know if 43 is hurt.  I hope he's not transferring.  He's a good player.

He's not listed by 24/7 sports dot com as being in the Transfer Portal, FWIW.

But he tweeted this enigmatic statement on October 24th & I've been worried since...

28 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I don't know if 43 is hurt.  I hope he's not transferring.  He's a good player.

He's not listed by 24/7 sports dot com as being in the Transfer Portal, FWIW.

But he tweeted this enigmatic statement on October 24th & I've been worried since...

I believe Arth mentioned him in a presser & being very good but couldn’t use him because he has had to be there for depth purposes at S, LB & DE he is that versatile & bulking up maybe to be LB DE in future but spoke highly of him & that he should play some in these last 4 games

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

I believe Arth mentioned him in a presser & being very good but couldn’t use him because he has had to be there for depth purposes at S, LB & DE he is that versatile & bulking up maybe to be LB DE in future but spoke highly of him & that he should play some in these last 4 games

I remember that now that you mention it.  Thanks!  And Arth made those comments after Kyshad tweeted that enigmatic message.  So, yeah, good call!

8 hours ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

We haven't had a running back since Jawon Chisholm and Conor Hundley.  And even when Hundley was here we had to go to Cody Grice to pick up 3rd-and-1.

We had bunch ready to play this year until the blow out transfer/quit sale. Warren Ball proved that Akron teams under Bowden could have a running game with a good back.  

11 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I think Mack is a defensive player. I swear there was a #43 in the program that is listed as FB at 240lbs which is a big back.Why don't we put him in front of our RBs to clear a path?

9 hours ago, John Ward said:

I think Mack is a defensive player. I swear there was a #43 in the program that is listed as FB at 240lbs which is a big back.Why don't we put him in front of our RBs to clear a path?

https://admin.gozips.com/sports/football/roster/austin-gillispie/6201

A transfer from Ashland, appears he hasn’t played

13 hours ago, John Ward said:

I know a lot of guys at BW-3s who weigh 240 pounds and played HS football....doesn't mean any of them are "playable".  There's gotta be a reason after 10 games that a player on this team isn't getting PT, and it ain't a conspiracy by the coaching staff against the guy......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I don't think he does mean Junk....#43 in the roster is listed as a FB and Junk is not....

No its not Junk. Its the Gillespie boy.I did some digging. What I understand is he blocks well and not afraid to hit people according to my source he just isn't getting a chance at all.I found some clips of him running and he can pick up the tough yard. I assume they are from Ashland.As 94ZipGrad states.I scratch my head here. Play everyone!! Who knows the fight in the dog till you throw him into a fight.Whats going to happen wrong that already hasn't. ? We aren't playing for a bowl spot.

These midweek MAC games are terrible ideas.  They kill the premise of what college football should be about - which is tailgating, a campus coming together with students & alumni cheering on a team in unity. 

The ESPN contract is about to run out, and I gotta think the conferences are going to tell them to stick it. How much money could the teams and conferences actually be making with these games? 

No one watches these games on ESPNX and in this day and age of 700 channels you'd probably get more viewership over a YouTube Stream.  That's where the younger generation is consuming video, not on expanded tier premium cable.  That idea is so 1999.

Yes. The older adults are cutting the cord and the younger adults aren't getting cabled-up in the first place. It's all about streaming. 

I wonder what the revenue would be from YouTube for a college football game? Or a YouTube Plus where you get other programming throughout the week? I wonder if you can play at a traditional time, sell more tickets and hot dogs, and get the same $$ from streaming...

6 minutes ago, Spin said:

The ESPN contract is about to run out, and I gotta think the conferences are going to tell them to stick it. How much money could the teams and conferences actually be making with these games? 

The deal doesn't expire until 2026-2027. My guess - we come out better with the deal as opposed to untelevised on the weekends.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11372218/mid-american-conference-espn-agree-new-13-year-media-rights-deal

21 minutes ago, LZIp said:

The deal doesn't expire until 2026-2027. My guess - we come out better with the deal as opposed to untelevised on the weekends.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11372218/mid-american-conference-espn-agree-new-13-year-media-rights-deal

There is revenue from YT and YT+ , whether it (and stadium revenue from a Saturday afternoon game) would be the same or better, would be interesting to find out. IDK where I heard the contract with E$PN is up, but the point is moot if it does continue on and on. They must think Tuesday night games in empty stadiums is worth it. 

I've always thought it made sense to have midweek games for teams that are not drawing great crowds on Saturdays.  But it is a downward spiral as it takes its toll on the best fans who would come every Saturday.  I think you are now paying the price for the combination of bad teams and few Saturday games.  

Next year, Iowa State has a Thursday night game at home with Kansas State.  The rivalry has a great tradition called "Farmageddon."  Yet, apparently we are willing (or were forced) to sacrifice our tailgating for TV money and national exposure.  We will still have a good crowd, but it takes its toll on the fanbase.  Pulling off a tailgate, albeit a late, lame one, seems hardly worth it on a Thursday.  Tailgating is a huge part of the gameday experience for 90% of our fans.  

• 1 month later...