Renting InfoCision Stadium out to the OHSAA

AkronAlumnus

Does anyone know why The University of Akron refuses to rent out the stadium for high-school playoff games? Massillon is taking on Massillon-Perry this Friday night and the university turned down the opportunity to host this game. There were expected to be 25,000 fans in attendance between the two schools, in addition to, community members wanting to see a closely contested rivalry/storyline play out. Someone said the zips average home attendance is 700 (this season); allowing this game would benefit the university financially,  as well as, allowing students and athletes the opportunity to see/explore and take in our great campus. I just don't understand the universities thought process behind this decision. Now we're stuck playing in a stadium that fits 1/8th of our fans and the parents can't watch their kids final game (potentially). Can you guys share some thoughts on this?

Akron does offer.  OHSAA sends out a request to ALL High Schools and Independent sites like Infocision, Dix, YSU etc. if they are interested in hosting games, and the schools/sites submits ayes or no answer and the dates they are willing to host.  It is then up to the OHSAA to select sites.  In football and soccer, sites are not determined until the match/game's opponents are known.  Once that is known, OHSAA takes into account the logistics to try to make the event somewhat equidistant for both schools.  Hence why sites are not announced until Sunday afternoon, getting clearance from the independent site and informing the schools before it's published to the public.  The University did submit dates they would accept, and Friday was not one of them because Friday Akron hosts two soccer games as part of the MAC tournament and also will be hosting two women's basketball games (The Akron Classic) and a men's basketball game.  I know, "but this is football".  It takes staff to run ALL events on campus, even if it is not an NCAA event.  The facilities staff is already thin, and hosting an OHSAA game didn't fit.  Financially, it doesn't matter whether it's a D1 or a D7 school, the site get's the same monies.  Perry vs. Massillon would not make sense from a travel standpoint anyway.  Mentor-McKinley was the game that would have made sense if Friday was available.  Last year Akron offered to host playoff games on every single independent site nights and was awarded zero.  So it's just up to the OHSAA to determine sites, and Akron did not turn down "your" game, despite the rumors you may hear.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Akron does offer.  OHSAA sends out a request to ALL High Schools and Independent sites like Infocision, Dix, YSU etc. if they are interested in hosting games, and the schools/sites submits ayes or no answer and the dates they are willing to host.  It is then up to the OHSAA to select sites.  In football and soccer, sites are not determined until the match/game's opponents are known.  Once that is known, OHSAA takes into account the logistics to try to make the event somewhat equidistant for both schools.  Hence why sites are not announced until Sunday afternoon, getting clearance from the independent site and informing the schools before it's published to the public.  The University did submit dates they would accept, and Friday was not one of them because Friday Akron hosts two soccer games as part of the MAC tournament and also will be hosting two women's basketball games (The Akron Classic) and a men's basketball game.  I know, "but this is football".  It takes staff to run ALL events on campus, even if it is not an NCAA event.  The facilities staff is already thin, and hosting an OHSAA game didn't fit.  Financially, it doesn't matter whether it's a D1 or a D7 school, the site get's the same monies.  Perry vs. Massillon would not make sense from a travel standpoint anyway.  Mentor-McKinley was the game that would have made sense if Friday was available.  Last year Akron offered to host playoff games on every single independent site nights and was awarded zero.  So it's just up to the OHSAA to determine sites, and Akron did not turn down "your" game, despite the rumors you may hear.

Nice to get some actual info.  It is so easy for rumors to take off on things like this.  Hope the truth spreads as far and fast as the rumors.  

• Like 1

First off, thank you for the insight, you bring forward some very valid points. Ok so, just out of curiosity, let's say the winner plays local powerhouse Archbishop Hoban. Next week the university will not be hosting two NCAA tournament soccer games, in addition to, two women's basketball games. Do you think The University of Akron will submit a bid to hold that playoff game?

While I agree with the premise of what you stated I do not think D1 and D7 will bring in the same amount of money. If Massillon squares off against Hoban next week I think InfoCision will be, damn near, sold out. I know that the university gets a portion of all tickets sold, in addition to, all money generated from concessions. They may even get a % of revenue generated from online streams (don't quote me on that). I do not think a McKinley/Mentor or a "division 7". game would generate the same amount of ticket/concession sales. 

Edited by AkronAlumnus
typo

I wouldn't see it selling out for Hoban-Massillon.  Best crowd of the year at Infocision, sure, sellout unlikely.  I recall Massillon-Highland there in 2013.  Massillon fiiled most of their side of the stands, but not completely and they'll bring more than Hoban.  Attendance for the Hoban-Massillon state championship game last year was 16,213.  Capacity at Infocision is 30K.

As an aside, OHSAA will probably look for another venue as Infocision is only a mile from Hoban and they play there every year against SVSM.  OHSAA regulations state that distance is not a factor, but I think that may be a little close for their liking.  Hopefully, KSU is making Dix available.

I can concede the point that it may not be an entire sellout, however, even if it's the best crowd the zips have seen all season it would still be in their best interest to host. The University of Akron has extended scholarships to players on Massillon's team. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the universities football program to get a glimpse of some talent within Hoban. 

I  think the parents of the players and their entire fan-bases should be able to see their respective schools play. I know this is an Akron football thread (not a bash the OHSAA thread), however, I just don't think its fair if they put Massillon/Hoban in a stadium that only holds 5000 fans. I think it's in Akron's best interest to host this game and I think they should do everything in their power to ensure the game is here. 

26 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Ok so, just out of curiosity, let's say the winner plays local powerhouse Archbishop Hoban. Next week the university will not be hosting two NCAA tournament soccer games, in addition to, two women's basketball games. Do you think The University of Akron will submit a bid to hold that playoff game?

They have already submitted their dates for the entire OHSAA playoffs, the only date not included was this Friday.  I think you are correct on concessions, incorrect on ticket sales as those go directly to the OHSAA.  No revenue sharing on streaming, as that is all sanctioned through OHSAA and Spectrum.  And I think there would be more independent interest in a Mentor McKinley game than Perry-Massillon, no offense.  Plus, I get the feeling that OHSAA has gotten push back in the past from member-schools, especially larger ones who have put in turf and big video boards, when they award a game to Info, Dix, YSU, etc rather than at a member High School.

9 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I wouldn't see it selling out for Hoban-Massillon.

I agree with Clark.  Hudson played St. Ed's there in a state semi-final game just a few years back at Infocision and there were maybe 12-13,000 real seats sold.  And also agree with Clark that OHSAA may frown on Hoban at Info since they did play there earlier.  And Dix is on the list for this year's events.

5 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I think it's in Akron's best interest to host this game and I think they should do everything in their power to ensure the game is here. 

I don't understand why you think hosting this game would be in Akron's "best interest?" Why?  They've hosted Hoban, St. V, St. Ed's, St. Iggy, Hudson, Stow, all in the past 6 seasons, and what do they have to show for it?  More seats in the stands for Zips games, more kids from these schools on scholly here, what?  And they have no "everything in their power" to ensure any game is played at Info.  Maybe if it was a MAC game or an NCAA FCS or D2 or D3 game they mght have some influence, but they have NO influence with the OHSAA nor do NCAA rules allow any such thing....

The University of Akron has extended scholarships to players on Massillon's team. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the universities football program to get a glimpse of some talent within Hoban.

Akron flies recruiters out to to Georgia or Florida to pitch high schoolers to join the program. Do you really think a 15 mile drive is going to deter members of the football staff from getting a glimpse of this game?

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

I don't understand why you think hosting this game would be in Akron's "best interest?" Why?  They've hosted Hoban, St. V, St. Ed's, St. Iggy, Hudson, Stow, all in the past 6 seasons, and what do they have to show for it?  More seats in the stands for Zips games, more kids from these schools on scholly here, what?  And they have no "everything in their power" to ensure any game is played at Info.  Maybe if it was a MAC game or an NCAA FCS or D2 or D3 game they mght have some influence, but they have NO influence with the OHSAA nor do NCAA rules allow any such thing....

Hosting the game would benefit Akron financially (through concessions and (maybe) tickets). They would make 25x what they made on yesterday's game against EMU. You'd be surprised the influence the lobbyists at the university have; if they want to get something done it will get done. Also, it can't hurt having kids they've recruited play under the lights in the stadium (it may not necessarily help with recruiting but it certainly won't hurt).  

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Akron flies recruiters out to to Georgia or Florida to pitch high schoolers to join the program. Do you really think a 15 mile drive is going to deter members of the football staff from getting a glimpse of this game?

True, they do fly recruiters to GA and FL and what good has it gotten them? An 0-10 start and a bid for being the worst team in the country. Maybe they should change their strategy and recruit locally. This will get butts in seats and there is plenty of talent within the area the zips could go after. To answer your question: No I dont think a 15 mile drive is going to deter members of the football staff from getting a glimpse but maybe if they gave the area slightly more of a glimpse they would have a better record and attendance ratio. 

Edited by AkronAlumnus

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

Hoban was the home team this year vs St. V, doesn’t that eliminate Hoban being able to play at Infocision during the playoffs?  I thought you could not play a playoff game after the first round on a field in which you played on in which you was the home team.

Good take: I don't know if this would matter but Hoban would be the away team vs. Massillon (Washington). Where did you find this rule? I believe you I'm just curious  and want to show a friend. 

47 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Hosting the game would benefit Akron financially (through concessions and (maybe) tickets). They would make 25x what they made on yesterday's game against EMU.

They would still need to pay all the Game Day help, concession stand workers, pay the light and heating bill, the janitorial help, etc....it may end up to be a wash, maybe a small profit, but you make it sound like a big payday for the school, trust me, it is not.  And you keep making it sound like the U is somehow doing something wrong here, they are NOT.

35 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

True, they do fly recruiters to GA and FL and what good has it gotten them? An 0-10 start and a bid for being the worst team in the country. Maybe they should change their strategy and recruit locally. This will get butts in seats and there is plenty of talent within the area the zips could go after. To answer your question: No I dont think a 15 mile drive is going to deter members of the football staff from getting a glimpse but maybe if they gave the area slightly more of a glimpse they would have a better record and attendance ratio. 

Someone else on this board counted up the number of NEO players on each MAC teams roster. Akron actually has the most. This hasn't led to increased attendance and has led to our 0-10 record. The problem is we've been recruiting Ohio players who for the most part aren't FBS caliber talent. We need better players regardless if they are from Ohio, PA, Georgia, Florida etc. Did any of the players Bowden recruited from Akron East produce?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Someone else on this board counted up the number of NEO players on each MAC teams roster. Akron actually has the most

that was me kreed...  posted on Game 5 - UMass thread....here's the summary - 

Here's what we have - The MAC has 110 players from the area selected.  Akron leads by far with 37, and that's after taking Burkhart off the list.  Here's the list:

Akron - 37     Kent State - 21     Toledo - 17     Ohio - 14     Bowling Green -7     Miami - 6     Buffalo - 5     EMU - 3     Ball State - 2      NIU, CMU, WMU have none on their roster

The Big 10 (or 14) have a total of 50 players from the area selected.  Here's how they stack up:

Ohio State - 17     Michigan State - 11     Michigan - 7     Northwestern - 5     Penn State, Purdue and Minnesota each have 2     Rutgers, Indiana, Nebraska, and Wisconsin each have 1.  Maryland, Illinois and Iowa do not have any.

The "other" schools have 24 players from the area.  I was very surprised to see that Cincinnati leads with 16!  Notre Dame has 4, Pitt has 3 and WVU has 1.  Marshall has none.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Someone else on this board counted up the number of NEO players on each MAC teams roster. Akron actually has the most. This hasn't led to increased attendance and has led to our 0-10 record. The problem is we've been recruiting Ohio players who for the most part aren't FBS caliber talent. We need better players regardless if they are from Ohio, PA, Georgia, Florida etc. Did any of the players Bowden recruited from Akron East produce?

I don't follow Akron football in-depthly (I'm more of a basketball guy), as a result,  I'm not sure about Akron East, however, Jamal Davis and Jerome Lane were both local talents who ended up panning out well for The University. It's not about getting sub-par local players it's about keeping "quality" (for lack of better term) in NEO. 

44 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Here's what we have - The MAC has 110 players from the area selected.  Akron leads by far with 37, and that's after taking Burkhart off the list.  Here's the list:

Akron - 37     Kent State - 21     Toledo - 17     Ohio - 14     Bowling Green -7     Miami - 6     Buffalo - 5     EMU - 3     Ball State - 2      NIU, CMU, WMU have none on their roster

The Big 10 (or 14) have a total of 50 players from the area selected.  Here's how they stack up:

Ohio State - 17     Michigan State - 11     Michigan - 7     Northwestern - 5     Penn State, Purdue and Minnesota each have 2     Rutgers, Indiana, Nebraska, and Wisconsin each have 1.  Maryland, Illinois and Iowa do not have any.

The "other" schools have 24 players from the area.  I was very surprised to see that Cincinnati leads with 16!  Notre Dame has 4, Pitt has 3 and WVU has 1.  Marshall has none.

Wow great statistic(:

I can admit I was wrong about area recruiting. As I said in my last reply.. maybe it isn't necessarily about recruiting this area and extending multiple offers, it should be about keeping the top notch athletes in NEO. Obviously your top tier athletes: Paris Campbell, Gareon Conley, Billy Price etc.. aren't going to come to Akron. However, some of these athletes going to lesser big10 schools or non-power five schools should be a focal point for the program OVER the Georgia/Florida kids (in my opinion). Feel free to disagree but if a kid is coming to Akron from Florida or Georgia (minus Jatavis Brown) they probably aren't going to pan out well, otherwise, a southern school would snatch them up ASAP.

Just out of curiosity, when you compiled data for this statistic what exactly is the "area" (Cleveland - Youngstown - Columbus (maybe?)). 

6 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Just out of curiosity, when you compiled data for this statistic what exactly is the "area" (Cleveland - Youngstown - Columbus (maybe?)). 

The complete post is over on the Football thread for Game 5: UMass.

15 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Wow great statistic(:

I can admit I was wrong about area recruiting. As I said in my last reply.. maybe it isn't necessarily about recruiting this area and extending multiple offers, it should be about keeping the top notch athletes in NEO. Obviously your top tier athletes: Paris Campbell, Gareon Conley, Billy Price etc.. aren't going to come to Akron. However, some of these athletes going to lesser big10 schools or non-power five schools should be a focal point for the program OVER the Georgia/Florida kids (in my opinion). Feel free to disagree but if a kid is coming to Akron from Florida or Georgia (minus Jatavis Brown) they probably aren't going to pan out well, otherwise, a southern school would snatch them up ASAP.

If you actually go look at @ZipsVoice old post and follow the thread, you will see that I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I particularly pointed out all the guys on the Toledo roster who could be key contributors for us. Bowden's staff actually had a fairly good amount of success in recruiting Florida and Arth's staff, while still early, seems to have a nice inroads to Georgia as I'm counting 4 3* players from that state committed to the 2020 class. It's not realistic to have 100 players on the roster all from Ohio so it's important to still have some pipelines elsewhere. The ~35 players IMO is a pretty good overall number to shoot for. The focus just needs to be on making those a quality 35 instead of a quantity 35.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

For kicks, I did a quick run through Iowa State's roster: 

2 from NEO (Mike Rose from Brecksville and Jataris Grant from Akron Garfield),

4 from Cincinnati/Dayton area,

1 from Newark, Ohio,

4 from the Detroit area.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Facilities that host OHSAA playoff games get a rental fee and are allowed to keep all parking and concessions sales. The rental fee is the same for any game regardless of division or size of the stadium. OHSAA even sets the price you can charge for parking. For UA, the costs to staff these games are significantly higher than the average high school hosting site. It is a real crapshoot for UA to host. It is not a sure bet that they make a profit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1