Renting InfoCision Stadium out to the OHSAA

AkronAlumnus

Even if hosting high school playoff games isn't a financial plus for the U, I'd hope they'd host AMAP.  It's great publicity & great for public relations.  Get as many surrounding-community members on campus as possible.  I hope the U pulls out all the stops next Friday to give both Hoban and Massillon fan-bases a first-rate, professionally-executed, top-shelf experience.  

-Every ticket window open and ready for business!

-Every concessions stand open and ready for business!

-Lots of knowledgeable ushers, everywhere I could possibly look, with smiles on their faces!

-All restrooms open, clean and all toilets operational!

-More ticket takers than necessary to expedite stadium entry!

-Before the game starts make certain the scoreboard and sound system are operational!

-Hell, open the InfoCision Zips Team Store!  Who knows?!

I hate to say it, but my vast experience with UA has me worried they'll be able to pull it off. ?

Prove me wrong, UA!  This is not the Bush League!  This is a big time D-1 college facility!  Walk tall, UA!  Make me proud!

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 5

On 11/16/2019 at 1:45 PM, Blue & Gold said:

I hate to say it, but my vast experience with UA has me worried they'll be able to pull it off. 

We've pulled it off many times over the years.  We've had bigger games too, we had a state semi-final game.  We've had St. Ed's-Hudson, St. Iggy, Stow vs. Solon, Big Red from Steubenville.  They've all came off fine.  This is not our first rodeo for the OHSAA.....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

We've pulled it off many times over the years.  We've had bigger games too, we had a state semi-final game.  We've had St. Ed's-Hudson, St. Iggy, Stow vs. Solon, Big Red from Steubenville.  They've all came off fine.  This is not our first rodeo for the OHSAA.....

My Sophomore year of HS Infocision hosted Mass/Mckinley and I thought the university did a fine job. They even let us use the indoor field to warm up in prior to the pre-game, in addition to allowing high schools full access to their training rooms within the facilities.

2 hours ago, Cykron said:

Speaking of attendance problems, I will be driving past Dekalb, IL near kickoff tonight.  I would hope for massive traffic backups, but alas, I doubt it will happen.  

All the tractors and combines are off the road now and back in the barns for the winter......should be no problem!!

Just got my OHSAA notes for the Regional finals and this was in there:

"About the Regionals and State Semifinals The regional playoffs follow bracket format, beginning with the regional quarterfinals. Regional Quarterfinals (Nov. 8 and 9): During the first round, the higher seed will host the playoff game at its home stadium or the stadium of its choosing. The No. 8 seed will play at the No. 1 seed, the No. 7 seed at No. 2, etc. Regional Semifinals (Nov. 15 and16), Regional Finals (Nov. 22 and 23) and State Semifinals (Nov. 29 and 30): Neutral sites are selected by the OHSAA. There are many factors that go into determining playoff sites, such as quality of field surface, seating capacity, quality of lighting, size of locker rooms and distance from field, press box size, parking spaces available, and a separate locker room for officials. After all those factors are taken into consideration, it must be confirmed that the site is available and willing to host a playoff game on the date needed."

Okay...so the moment of reckoning is near.  Tomorrow night at InfoCision is the "dream" match-p so many HS football fans in the area, just good ol' fans, not parents, of the team, band, cheerleaders, or kids who can't drive from either school, have supposedly been waiting to see at InfoCision.  Massillon Washington High School vs. Archbishop Hoban High School.  Interested to see if any of you independent HS fans are going, and also, what do you think the total attendance will be?  Here's your choices:

1) - biggest in-seat attendance at InfoCision this season including the Zips games (that should be easy)

2) - less than 10,000

3) - less than 15,000

4) - a sell-out, as some ZNO posters have suggested

Just curious....

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Okay...so the moment of reckoning is near.  Tomorrow night at InfoCision is the "dream" match-p so many HS football fans in the area, just good ol' fans, not parents, of the team, band, cheerleaders, or kids who can't drive from either school, have supposedly been waiting to see at InfoCision.  Massillon Washington High School vs. Archbishop Hoban High School.  Interested to see if any of you independent HS fans are going, and also, what do you think the total attendance will be?  Here's your choices:

1) - biggest in-seat attendance at InfoCision this season including the Zips games (that should be easy)

2) - less than 10,000

3) - less than 15,000

Just curious....

I'm going to the game tomorrow night.  I'm looking for Massillon to win tomorrow night as Hoban is really banged up and Massillon has been clicking all season.  (I really like Massillon's coach, btw.  Nate Moore.  Guy really knows what he's doing.)  However, I'm predicting Hoban (if healthy, of course) to win another state championship next year.  They're Ohio's new juggernaut.  Anyway, to your question...

I'm predicting a crowd falling somewhere between your #3 and #4 options.  There's a big jump between #3 (less than 15,000) and #4 (a sell-out).  I'll predict 20,000.  Biggest hs crowd of the year in Ohio.  A larger attendance than any of the state championship games.

Btw, I'll predict 5,000 Hoban fans and 15,000 Massillon fans.  (There's nothing to do in Massillon. Lol.)

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

2) - less than 10,000

3) - less than 15,000

Just curious....

I think there will be approximately 25k fans in attendance. I think Massillon will bring about 18k and Hoban will bring 5k. The remainder of fans will be locals looking to see two of the state's best go head to head. In terms of a prediction I have it 24-7 Massillon (mainly due to Hoban not being at full strength). Also, does anyone know why Massillon is the home team yet they're sitting on the East side of the stadium? Does this also mean they will use the away locker-rooms and Hoban's band will take the field pregame?? How about you? what is your prediction in terms of attendance and outcome?

I'm a little skeptical, mainly due to the same thing B & G and Alum said about the Hoban side..and I can't argue with the numbers that Massillon will bring.  I just think the independent ticket-buyer attendance will be the determining factor, and the Northern Summit County independents may side more towards going to Byers and watching Mentor and St. Ed's.  Plus, the numbers aren't the same, but Manchester, Aurora and Mogadore are all playing that night too.  I'm saying 18,000.

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I think there will be approximately 25k fans in attendance. I think Massillon will bring about 18k and Hoban will bring 5k. The remainder of fans will be locals looking to see two of the state's best go head to head. In terms of a prediction I have it 24-7 Massillon (mainly due to Hoban not being at full strength). Also, does anyone know why Massillon is the home team yet they're sitting on the East side of the stadium? Does this also mean they will use the away locker-rooms and Hoban's band will take the field pregame?? How about you? what is your prediction in terms of attendance and outcome?

I believe the home team can pick a side & Hoban doesn’t have a band.  Last years state championship had a little more than 15k.  I think less than 20k.  I too pick Massillon, Trayunum could barely run last week & lasted 2 series & Clark is out.

• Like 1

18,000 fans. Far more than any UA game this year or last, if you judge by actual butts in the stands. I hope Hoban pulls it off, but Massillon will be loaded for bear. This will be a great HS game.