2019-20 Zips Women's Basketball

ewbrooman1

The Zips women are hosting the Akron Classic this Friday and Saturday. On Friday Kent State plays #24 Michigan at 2 pm and the Zips play Purdue Ft. Wayne at 4:30. On Saturday the Zips play Michigan and Kent plays PFW. I've only seen the Zips women's games promoted on social media. C'mon marketing staff, you could be promoting a tripleheader on Friday!

Edited by ewbrooman1
Corrected women's game times
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

The Zips women are hosting the Akron Classic this Friday and Saturday. On Friday Kent State plays #24 Michigan at 2 pm and the Zips play Purdue Ft. Wayne at 4:30. On Saturday the Zips play Michigan and Kent plays PFW. I've only seen the Zips women's games promoted on social media. C'mon marketing staff, you could be promoting a tripleheader on Friday!

Sorry, I meant to open this in the basketball thread. How do I move it or can the site administrator do it?

Hey, just another note - IUPFW has a freshman from Aurora HS, Shayla Sellers.  She's the daughter of Brad Sellers, former NBA star and Buckeye as well.

And Michigan will have Izabel Varejao, niece of Anderson Varejao former Cavs player!

Edited by ZipsVoice
added Varejao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Zips women battled #24 Michigan, but lost 80-71. Zips lead by 3 after 3Q after trailing by 13 after 1Q, but Michigan took advantage of their strength and skill down low to pull away. Really entertaining game in front of a crowd of almost 1000. A lot more entertaining than that brickfest last night by the men.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Zips women battled #24 Michigan, but lost 80-71. Zips lead by 3 after 3Q after trailing by 13 after 1Q, but Michigan took advantage of their strength and skill down low to pull away. Really entertaining game in front of a crowd of almost 1000. A lot more entertaining than that brickfest last night by the men.

Agreed about the entertainment factor being superior to the men’s brick fest. I watched on ESPN+ and it was a great game!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 8:29 AM, ZipsVoice said:

Hey, just another note - IUPFW has a freshman from Aurora HS, Shayla Sellers.  She's the daughter of Brad Sellers, former NBA star and Buckeye as well.

And Michigan will have Izabel Varejao, niece of Anderson Varejao former Cavs player!

Thanks for the note on opposing players, Voice! Interestingly, I met Brad Sellers back in June at the National Mayors Conference.  He's been mayor of his hometown of Broadview Heights since about 2012.  Very charming man at about 6-11. He was one of the first big men who could and would step back and take the shot from beyond the NBA three-point line.

Tweet today shows Coach Jackson has a verbal commitment from Zakia Rasheed, one of the best guards in the Indiana girls' basketball class of 2021.  Zips beat out Xavier for her services.  Coach is putting together a great group of prospects, including the Irish youth national team center.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Tweet today shows Coach Jackson has a verbal commitment from Zakia Rasheed, one of the best guards in the Indiana girls' basketball class of 2021.  Zips beat out Xavier for her services.  Coach is putting together a great group of prospects, including the Irish youth national team center.

Thanks for the updates.  It sounds like it is coming together.

They've gotten their arses handed to them the last two games.  A disappointing 88-63 home loss to Duquesne on APS Education Day in front of about 1000 5th graders and then a 76-55 road loss to Butler.  They've got to get their moxie back.

I can pinpoint when they lost it.  Against Cleveland State they were up by 6 with about 2 minutes left in the game and Coach Jackson had them slow down the pace and milk clock.  Their offense immediately went ice-cold & CSU came back to win the game.  We haven't been able to heat back up since.  I'm still irked about them slowing pace -v- CSU.  Dance with what got you there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

They've gotten their arses handed to them the last two games.  A disappointing 88-63 home loss to Duquesne on APS Education Day in front of about 1000 5th graders and then a 76-55 road loss to Butler.  They've got to get their moxie back.

I can pinpoint when they lost it.  Against Cleveland State they were up by 6 with about 2 minutes left in the game and Coach Jackson had them slow down the pace and milk clock.  Their offense immediately went ice-cold & CSU came back to win the game.  We haven't been able to heat back up since.  I'm still irked about them slowing pace -v- CSU.  Dance with what got you there.

Well said. That Duquesne game was a blowout for 40 minutes and certainly concerned me. They didn't look interested in being there at all which is a shame considering they had a great atmosphere against a team Kent beat.

14 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Well said. That Duquesne game was a blowout for 40 minutes and certainly concerned me. They didn't look interested in being there at all which is a shame considering they had a great atmosphere against a team Kent beat.

Duquesne is 7-2, and beat Pitt by 19. So they aren't chopped liver. 

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Duquesne is 7-2, and beat Pitt by 19. So they aren't chopped liver. 

It's a great program, in fact their coach is arguably the best basketball coach at the school right now. But they shouldn't dominate Akron like they did. And Akron shouldn't be losing to Cleveland State either.

On 12/9/2019 at 7:23 PM, Blue & Gold said:

God bless you for following women's basketball.  Once I learned they used a smaller basketball than the men use, I lost interest.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic comeback for coach Melissa Jackson's Zips yesterday, outscoring BeeGee 14-0 over the final 2:29 to defeat the Falcons 76-73 at Stroh Center.  There's no quit in the women, as this is the second major fourth-quarter come-from-behind victory, following the game at St Bonaventure where they made up a similar large deficit in the final quarter of the contest.  Haliegh Reinoehl scored a career high 26 to lead the wahine Zips.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Fantastic comeback for coach Melissa Jackson's Zips yesterday, outscoring BeeGee 14-0 over the final 2:29 to defeat the Falcons 76-73 at Stroh Center.  There's no quit in the women, as this is the second major fourth-quarter come-from-behind victory, following the game at St Bonaventure where they made up a similar large deficit in the final quarter of the contest.  Haliegh Reinoehl scored a career high 26 to lead the wahine Zips.

That's good news!  I turned it on in the car for a few minutes, and since they were losing handily I turned it off.   They needed that to stop the bleeding.

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

I hope they can become more consistent. They played so well at the beginning of the year, but have been pretty dreadful since losing to Cleveland State the day before Thanksgiving. It's a close group and there's talent there as well. I'd like to see them make it to Cleveland this year.

IMHO they haven’t really been quite the same since they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory versus Cleveland State. Maybe this BUGS win will help them right the ship.

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

I'm watching this on replay.  Down by 8 with 4 minutes left.  U sure they won? :)

• Like 1

I just saw a Facebook post that they are giving away 500 Rachel Tecca bobbleheads at the women's game Saturday.  The caveat is you can pick up a voucher when the doors open for the men's game at 1 pm, but have to wait until the start of the second quarter of the women's game to get the bobblehead. I guess the strategy is to make people stay for some of the women's game (or come early for the men's game ?), but considering the start of the 2Q  probably won't be until 5 pm or so I wonder how many people who are not big women's team fans will just say the heck with it.

17 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I just saw a Facebook post that they are giving away 500 Rachel Tecca bobbleheads at the women's game Saturday.  The caveat is you can pick up a voucher when the doors open for the men's game at 1 pm, but have to wait until the start of the second quarter of the women's game to get the bobblehead. I guess the strategy is to make people stay for some of the women's game (or come early for the men's game ?), but considering the start of the 2Q  probably won't be until 5 pm or so I wonder how many people who are not big women's team fans will just say the heck with it.

I noticed that myself. I guess it's just a marketing ploy to get people to stay for the women's game. I'm planning to attend because my daughter really wants to see the women's team play so I guess I'll be getting my bobblehead!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The MAC is improving rapidly in women's bb -- much faster than forvthe men.  Of course they got three teams (Ohio, CMU and Buffalo) in last year's Big Dance, and Canada and the Chips made the Sweet 16.  I saw a comment in the preseason that NIU would be the most improved team in the league.  We're getting better, but still falling behind the competition.  I think we have like 5 or 6 new recruits for next season.  We have 5 seniors.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

The MAC is improving rapidly in women's bb -- much faster than forvthe men.  Of course they got three teams (Ohio, CMU and Buffalo) in last year's Big Dance, and Canada and the Chips made the Sweet 16.  I saw a comment in the preseason that NIU would be the most improved team in the league.  We're getting better, but still falling behind the competition.  I think we have like 5 or 6 new recruits for next season.  We have 5 seniors.

OU didn't make the dance, but did win 3 games in the WNIT. Tough to win right away with 5 or 6 new recruits and losing 5 seniors. I hope there is a consistent point guard among them.