2019-20 Zips Women's Basketball

ewbrooman1

53 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

OU didn't make the dance, but did win 3 games in the WNIT. Tough to win right away with 5 or 6 new recruits and losing 5 seniors. I hope there is a consistent point guard among them.

Jackson like the BG coach is doing a rebuild.  Probably going to take a other year or two.  Jackson seems like a cool lady.  Really hope she finds success. From.what I've seen, seems like.the women don't have a top 3 point.shooter.

2 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

OU didn't make the dance, but did win 3 games in the WNIT. Tough to win right away with 5 or 6 new recruits and losing 5 seniors. I hope there is a consistent point guard among them.

I recall that you're right about OU being in the WNIT.  But the MAC DID get three teams...DIDN'T they??  ??

Another thing about Ohio WBB:  They beat the Buckeyes earlier this season, and they were quick to report that it was their first victory ever over Ohio State!  BUT, I was in a rec center gym in Kailua-Kona, Hawai'i in (IIRC) 1995 and witnessed the Lady Kittens beat the Bucks team with Katie Smith and Marcy Alberts (Mark Alberts' sister and an all B1G guard) by about double figures, leading the entire way I think.  This was early in the season following OSU losing the previous year in the national championship game to the Cheryl Swoopes-led Texas Tech.  I tweeted to OU about it, but they continue to report this year's win as the first.  The leading scorer for OU off the bench was Barb Grbac, whose brother Elvis QB'ed Michigan and 2 or 3 NFL teams.  Over 20 points, and she was averaging low single digits.  I think she coaches at Lakewood St Ed's?  She and her brother went there.  Also, I checked and Marcie Alberts is an assistant coach at IUPU-FW. See old men don't all lose their memories!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I recall that you're right about OU being in the WNIT.  But the MAC DID get three teams...DIDN'T they??  ??

No, Miami was a candidate too until OU creamed them in the MAC Semis. CMU lost to Mich St by a point in the first round of the NCAA last year. Buffalo beat Rutgers in the first round and gave UConn a run for their money in the second, but lost. 2018 NCAA was when CMU and Buffalo made the Sweet 16. (Just so you're straight ?) I've really enjoyed following the MAC women in recent years.

52 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Okay. I remember!! I'm thinking of the 2018 NCAA soccer tournament!  THERE the #MACtion had THREE reps...Akron, WMU and...

HEY ZipME87, help me!  ?

SIUE??  I think that was the third!

West Virginia was the third MAC school in in 2018.....

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Haliegh Reinoehl makes 3rd team All-MAC, Jordyn Dawson makes honorable mention.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2020/3/9/mac-announces-2020-womens-basketball-postseason-awards.aspx

Surprised those weren't flipped Jordyn Dawson had a heck of a year but congrats to both of them. And as typical my complaints for the MAC being a second rate conference once again are realized because their official release contained the sentence "After receiving Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2019, Ohio’s Cierra (Cece) Hooks doubled up on the award in 2020 after another dominate season.." and at the end of the article it mentions that "MACtion moves to Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio beginning Wednesday, March 11th at noon when #8 Akron faces #1 Central Michigan" (sigh)

• Sad 1