Game 4- South Carolina Upstate

clarkwgriswold

Much more effort tonight.

Some interesting lineups tonight, even some with X and two bigs.  I continue to have some hope for Sayles but the kid seems to have little or no feel for the game at times.  Moves okay and fairly athletic but every time the ball comes to him it seems like the first time he's seen it.

Lots of nice seamless switching on the perimeter tonight.

Tribble will be even better when he finds his shot and has some confidence in it.  He is aggressive with the ball and strong on defense.  I think you'll see him even more when teams pick on LCJ's size.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Much more effort tonight.

Some interesting lineups tonight, even some with X and two bigs.  I continue to have some hope for Sayles but the kid seems to have little or no feel for the game at times.  Moves okay and fairly athletic but every time the ball comes to him it seems like the first time he's seen it.

Lots of nice seamless switching on the perimeter tonight.

Tribble will be even better when he finds his shot and has some confidence in it.  He is aggressive with the ball and strong on defense.  I think you'll see him even more when teams pick on LCJ's size.

I agree with you that Sayles looks lost out there.  He cannot hold onto the ball on offense.  Had a couple of nice moves to the basket but could not finish.  I think he played better as a frosh than as a junior.  He is a step slow on this team and needs to be aggressive on offense.

• Like 2

Man was I impressed with Tribble toward the end of the game when he was our #1 scoring option on the floor.  He's got a scorer's mentality and is a serious athlete.  He's gonna be a good one!  I love the way Ali moves and handles the ball for someone 6'8" but wish he had more of that scorer's mentality that comes so naturally to Tribble.

X has MAC POY potential.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Man was I impressed with Tribble toward the end of the game when he was our #1 scoring option on the floor.  He's got a scorer's mentality and is a serious athlete.  He's gonna be a good one!  I love the way Ali moves and handles the ball for someone 6'8" but wish he had more of that scorer's mentality that comes so naturally to Tribble.

X has MAC POY potential.

Tribble may be why Roscoe left so abruptly.  Even though there have been some struggles, having X and Reece inside is such a huge improvement from only having Riak.  Reece was making some Big Dog moves and he and X can really jump.  

• Like 1

Tribble showed some nice finishing moves in garbage time. It certainly offers some promise for this season and the future, but he was a non-factor offensively in the prior three games. I'm interested to see if this was the spark of confidence that he needed to become a more assertive scoring option off the bench.

Edited by kreed5120

11 hours ago, LZIp said:

Tribble is going to be a good one. So well composed for being a true freshman. If he doesn't overtake LCJ at some point this season, its happen next year.

Agreed, especially with taking over for LCJ at starting Point. It was pretty evident in the highlight videos and practice videos I saw from the off-season that this kid's a player. He's very fluid. 

I think LCJ is the perfect 6th man candidate. High-energy gnat (in a good way) that annoys the crap out of opposing players. I like LCJ - a lot. I think he's very cerebral when he SLOWS DOWN and let's the game come to him. Too often I think he goes into "hero" mode, which is the exact opposite of what his strengths are - distribution on offense and quick hands on defense. 

• Like 1

I have a theory that Groce uses a theorem when it comes to shot selection and who is taking them. I have never heard him straight out say this, but contextual clues leaves me to believe that players earn their right to shoot in practice. Their practices are designed with competition built in and everything is graded out. I'm sure if Ali gets a rebound under the basket he is green lighted to go right back up with it. But I would not be surprised if the freshman, Riak, Sayles, Reece all have certain restrictions placed on them. Remember Groce a former math teacher and stat junkie. And my guess is that those restrictions were lifted for the freshman and walk-ons during garbage time.

21 hours ago, The Hip Zip said:

We've looked good and lost and we've looked bad and won. I'll be curious to see if this is a team that is developing a tendency to play to the level of their opponents.  I sure hope that is not the case.  I want to see a thirty point win tonight.

Got your wish ?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Tribble showed some nice finishing moves in garbage. It certainly offers some promise for this season and the future, but he was a non-factor offensively in the prior three games. I'm interested to see if this was the spark of confidence that he needed to become a more assertive scoring option off the bench.

I think thats another credit to him (and Ali for that matter). True freshman need to know their roles (Virshon Cotton, anyone?)...especially at the beginning of their career. He's been cool and under control all year. Once all of the back ups were in, he took the initiative to create and show us what we can do. I'm looking forward to see what he does as his leash gets longer as the year goes on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tboned said:

Can someone  tell me why the  game nights  have  changed  so much?  I went  to SCU game and attendance was putrid. Whatever happen to  the  Wednesday ,Saturday scheduling.  

When you play college basketball titans like NCC and SCU, you play on THEIR  schedule!

• Haha 3

Tuesday, Saturdays will be the standard play once conference play begins. OOC play is always like this. USC Upstate has another game tomorrow @ Lousville. They weren't going to play us tonight then jump on a bus, drive ~6-7 hours then play Louisville the next day. Besides we play YSU Thursday so Monday worked best for us too.