MU  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Zips
    • RedHawks by 9 or less
    • RedHawks by 10 to 20
    • RedHawks by 21 to 30
    • RedHawks by 31+
  2. 2. Who will score the most TDs for the Zips? (tiebreaker will be determined by longest)

• Peter Hayes-Patrick
    • Boogie Knight
    • Kato Nelson (excludes passing)
    • Nobody will score a touchdown for Akron
    • Michiah Burton
    • Timothy Scippio
    • Julian Hicks
    • Nate Stewart
    • Somebody on defense
    • Other (anyone not listed above)
  3. 3. Takeaway Pencil Sightings (turnovers)

• 3+

This poll is closed to new votes

15 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Best game of the season. We just lost, no blowout. Progress!

Seriously, we look to have three defenders who could be headed to the NFL. The others just have to do better. At one point it appeared that Davis was yelling at a defender for a missed tackle.

There is progress. Who the three you think are headed to the league?

9 hours ago, John Ward said:

You just witnessed a lose by our Dline. How did we do this? You know its coming right up the middle. Needed Jest !!

They gave up 12 sacks while the defense held Miami to 8 points less than their MAC average.  I think both lines are awful, but the defense wasn't the primary issue when the O-line is a sieve like it was last night. 

• Like 4

I'd like to see a stat on how many times Miami blitzed Akron. It seemed to occur every time we were in third and long. We had to have some sort of hot routes that worked to counter with yardage and to avoid the sacks. Again, a huge problem is at running back - losing all but one scholarship player at this position (and he is a true freshman) has decimated the offense. Reese did briefly prove that a determined running back could gain yards with this O line, before he hurt his neck. Doubt if the players are all on board with the offensive scheme too, which effects effort.         

Edited by UA1987

10 hours ago, John Ward said:

You just witnessed a lose by our Dline. How did we do this? You know its coming right up the middle. Needed Jest !!

Gotta give Cross some credit this year as he has been playing well - he was a nice pickup on the d-line  

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Steve French was very upset about a couple of the calls durng his radio coverage. After one questionable penalty he said "The MAC is not going to let Miami lose to a no win team."

Whatever Coach Tom said or did to get this team playing, he better keep it up.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I agree that the O-line needs to improve, but many of those sacks are on Kato. He should have been able to see most of those blitzes coming. If your hot receiver is covered, you need to get rid of the ball.

I would have to agree with Ham on this one.  When they all out blitz there are not enough blockers regardless of the OL personnel to take on all the rushers.  When they did not blitz, Kato often times had all day to get rid of it.  You cant hold the ball for 5 seconds and expect good things to happen.  Kato or any QB has 2-3 seconds to get rid of it.  If everyone is covered, he needs to take off and run....

Edited by Zippyroo

54 minutes ago, Spin said:

Steve French was very upset about a couple of the calls durng his radio coverage. After one questionable penalty he said "The MAC is not going to let Miami lose to a no win team."

Whatever Coach Tom said or did to get this team playing, he better keep it up.

Dustin Fox was an analyst for the ESPN feed last night & he mentioned there had been a few head-scratching, momentum-changing calls go against Akron.

Sometimes the plays seem to take way too long to develop.  But I don't know if that's on the scheme or on Kato.  I think the staff needs to scheme with Kato similarly to how the Browns need to scheme with Baker Mayfield - one or two quick reads and get the ball out of his hands.  If nothing's there either scramble for 3-4 yards or throw it away.

The defensive unit as a whole did enough to win last night, but we still gave up 237 yards on the ground and 4.6 ypc. The defensive front 7 certainly is going to need to improve a ton this offseason. When you consider the fact we haven't had a pass rush all season, I don't feel our secondary has been that bad in coverage. Teams just run over us week after week.

• Like 1

The Zips made the SportCenter Top 10 this morning. I captured a video on my iPhone but can't figure out how to convert the file from .MOV to .JPG. It won't play on Chrome, but will on Internet Explorer.

http://www.ohiovalleysystem.com/img/IMG_0164_566.MOV

The Top ten should be on YouTube in a couple days.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UA1987 said:

I'd like to see a stat on how many times Miami blitzed Akron. It seemed to occur every time we were in third and long. We had to have some sort of hot routes that worked to counter with yardage and to avoid the sacks. Again, a huge problem is at running back - losing all but one scholarship player at this position (and he is a true freshman) has decimated the offense. Reese did briefly prove that a determined running back could gain yards with this O line, before he hurt his neck. Doubt if the players are all on board with the offensive scheme too, which effects effort.         

I just don't think we have the personnel on the OL to run the spread. Not sure RB is the big reason. Also ,not sure we have a QB with total ability to read the defense.I could be wrong ,just an observation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Ward said:

I just don't think we have the personnel on the OL to run the spread. Not sure RB is the big reason. Also ,not sure we have a QB with total ability to read the defense.I could be wrong ,just an observation.

Offensive lineman in the spead have to be able to block 1 on 1.  I think the current line can do that ok for pass protection but when it comes to running the ball from the spread, the line has to be able to move bodies and that is where I see a deficit with our current line.  It is tough to block a guy who's spinning, swimming, and bull rushing to get by you.  Good lineman move their feet and hold (and don't get caught) every play.  When I look at most of our current starters, they just do not move well.  Not sure if its effort, scheme, or just a not in shape thing.

The QB is definitely a critical position in the spread.  QB has to make correct reads when throwing, handing off, or keeping the ball and running himself.  Frankly,  I do not see RB being the reason why we can't run the ball at all.  I think its more QB, line, and scheme related. Sure, a good back would help but the holes are there or not.  I can't imagine all our current backs not having the vision to see open space and run through it if it exists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zippyroo said:

Offensive lineman in the spead have to be able to block 1 on 1.  I think the current line can do that ok for pass protection but when it comes to running the ball from the spread, the line has to be able to move bodies and that is where I see a deficit with our current line.  It is tough to block a guy who's spinning, swimming, and bull rushing to get by you.  Good lineman move their feet and hold (and don't get caught) every play.  When I look at most of our current starters, they just do not move well.  Not sure if its effort, scheme, or just a not in shape thing.

The QB is definitely a critical position in the spread.  QB has to make correct reads when throwing, handing off, or keeping the ball and running himself.  Frankly,  I do not see RB being the reason why we can't run the ball at all.  I think its more QB, line, and scheme related. Sure, a good back would help but the holes are there or not.  I can't imagine all our current backs not having the vision to see open space and run through it if it exists.

The entire list of RB's from the spring depth chart are either off the team or hurt. White, Alce, Floyd, Suggs, Sands (did not seem to recover from leg injury-injured , Reese (transfer-injured) all gone or not playing. We have one true freshman on scholarship at running back and he has not been too impressive (seems to lack a burst of speed - maybe tentative as he is young). The other backs on the roster are also true freshman walk on's or a D III transfer who is smaller than our back I had on my youth team. Recipe for a tough go concerning the running game for the Zips playing FBS football irrespective of any O-line discussion. On another note, we have also lost about 70% of the receivers on our spring depth chart for various reasons including injury. It's really no wonder why we are the worst offense in major college football.            

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Davis. Laco. Arslanian. They are all very good and have a real shot IMHO.

Wow! I want some of the drugs you are doing. Arslanian is 5"11, 215 with no speed to play as a DB. Yet you think he could be playing on Sundays? You and I need to get together as we are probably from the same ancient era at UA. I want your optimism my friend!

15 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Wow! I want some of the drugs you are doing. Arslanian is 5"11, 215 with no speed to play as a DB. Yet you think he could be playing on Sundays? You and I need to get together as we are probably from the same ancient era at UA. I want your optimism my friend!

Yes from the days of Jack Bedeilmann and Danny Ruff. And Len Paul.

I can't tell how big he is on TV, only how active he is.

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

I can't tell how big he is on TV, only how active he is.

Understood.  He is a great kid, what we used to call and over-achiever, plays well above his rating, but 72 Roo is right, but so are you, he is very active.  Lako, imo, would also need to bulk up to compete in the NFL at LB, he reminds me of Jason Taylor size-wise coming out of Akron.  He's got the attitude.