USA Today's Take on the Zips

DannyHoke

One of the cool things about the MAC is the parity among the schools. In fact, one of the reasons it’s considered a cradle of coaches is because nobody’s got recruiting or resource advantages, so those who do the best work tend to get noticed. In that sense, most people thought Terry Bowden was doing a pretty good job at Akron, keeping the Zips competitive, even winning its division in 2017 and making a pair of bowl games. For some reason, though, Akron decided it wasn’t enough and fired Bowden last December. What’s happened since, however, isn’t pretty at all. Akron is 0-10 and has been out-scored 218-47 in conference play under first-year coach Tom Arth. For a program that had been middle of the pack in the MAC under Bowden, that's a stunning turn of ineptitude. 

Dan Wolken's Misery Index

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

TB was 1-11 his first year with a win over FCS Morgan State, hardly impressive.

Yes, but that Bowden name is known by every football playing teen in the United States.    ?️

This guy gets a vote when he can tell me a Zips game he has watched in the last couple of years.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

I hate the way that USA Today focuses on the very top and very bottom of college football.  They are catering to the least common denominator of readers.  It would be so much more interesting to do articles on conference races, rivalries, local traditions, etc.  But every day, it is the same thing.  Who is #1 for the Heisman?  Who will make the Playoff?  How is Tua's fingernail or whatever is ailing him this week?  I've come to hate national media.  College football is so special because of the local interest it draws.  But that can almost never be "news" in a national media outlet.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/19/2019 at 8:55 AM, kreed5120 said:

Honestly, can we keep these "Arth sucks, we shouldn't have fired Bowden" posts to one single mega thread instead of having a new one every week?

Like it or not, the piece I shared is the National Perception. This impacts recruiting and influences image of the overall school.  

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, ZippyRulz said:

TB was 1-11 his first year with a win over FCS Morgan State, hardly impressive.

Yeah...the Zips were infinitely more competitive and competent in Bowden's 1-11 season than in Arth's 0-12 season. The Zips were in shoot-outs against various teams that year that came down the wire; and the Zips were tied with a 3-1 SEC team at halftime.  

Arth's first year (about to be 0-12) is more comparable to Ianello's 1-11 season than Bowden's 1-11 season.  That's an objective fact.

On 11/19/2019 at 8:55 AM, kreed5120 said:

Honestly, can we keep these "Arth sucks, we shouldn't have fired Bowden" posts to one single mega thread instead of having a new one every week?

No.  Because when we have a thread created for it members get banned for posting about said topic in the appropriate thread.  (Balsy comes to mind).

Akron: One of the cool things about the MAC is the parity among the schools. In fact, one of the reasons it’s considered a cradle of coaches is because nobody’s got recruiting or resource advantages, so those who do the best work tend to get noticed. In that sense, most people thought Terry Bowden was doing a pretty good job at Akron, keeping the Zips competitive, even winning its division in 2017 and making a pair of bowl games. For some reason, though, Akron decided it wasn’t enough and fired Bowden last December. What’s happened since, however, isn’t pretty at all. Akron is 0-10 and has been out-scored 218-47 in conference play under first-year coach Tom Arth. For a program that had been middle of the pack in the MAC under Bowden, that's a stunning turn of ineptitude. 

But im always the Bad Guy on here when I say the same thing 

nWLvI0i.png

• Like 1