Game 5- Youngstown State

clarkwgriswold

The 1-2 Penguins come to the JAR Thursday night.  They may come in at 2-2 as they play North Carolina Central Tuesday night.  They have lost to Louisville and Louisiana (and hope they don't have to play Louisiana State or St. Louis).  

The following is taken from an article in the YSU website-

The Youngstown State men's basketball team was predicted to finish sixth in the Horizon League in a vote by the league's head coaches, athletics communications directors and selected media. Sophomore Darius Quisenberry as also selected to the preseason All-Horizon League Second-Team.  

Quisenberry, a 2018-19 All-Horizon League Second-Team selection, was the first YSU freshman to earn all-league honors. He scored a YSU Division I freshman record 441 points and led the team in scoring and assists with 120. Quisenberry averaged 13.8 points, 2.9 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game. He scored in double figures 21 times, had eight 20-point performances and two 30-point games. The Springfield, Ohio, native set the YSU freshman record with 51 3-pointers made.

He also ranked 15th in the Horizon League in scoring, seventh in assists per game, eighth with 1.3 steals per game, fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio with 1.8 and 11th in free-throw percentage at 79.7 percent.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

So it's the YSU Quisenberry's vs. the Akron Zips. Got it. 

Keep the effort up, and good things will happen. Out-efforting a team will make up for not shooting lights out. We have the talent to compete at the top of the MAC; establish the fundamentals early this OOC season, and we'll be in good shape. Go Zips!

• Like 2

I for whatever reason watched the first 15 minutes of the second half. YSU looked like the marginally more talented team, but NCC seemed to play with much more effort. Kudos to NCC coach in being able to motivate his players to play with lots of effort on a nightly basis. It can't be an easy task to do when you spend the entire OOC on a bus traveling city to city to pad other teams win totals.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I for whatever reason watched the first 15 minutes of the second half. YSU looked like the marginally more talented team, but NCC seemed to play with much more effort. Kudos to NCC coach in being able to motivate his players to play with lots of effort on a nightly basis. It can't be an easy task to do when you spend the entire OOC on a bus traveling city to city to pad other teams win totals.

Amen.  That would make 2 NEO College teams they out-efforted in 4 days.

These forums are a real lifesaver for a long time Zips basketball fan like me who rarely gets to actually watch a game. First went to the JAR during the Huggins era and actually attended a Coleman Crawford basketball camp in the summer of ’92 (I think).  I started reading these posts during the post-Dambrot coaching search and got hooked when I discovered there was a “Rec League Smith” appreciation thread. Finally got around to making a profile. Keep up the good work, everyone. I will be travelling on Thurs night but am interested to see how the Zips look against a regional rival. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, KangarooInExile said:

These forums are a real lifesaver for a long time Zips basketball fan like me who rarely gets to actually watch a game. First went to the JAR during the Huggins era and actually attended a Coleman Crawford basketball camp in the summer of ’92 (I think).  I started reading these posts during the post-Dambrot coaching search and got hooked when I discovered there was a “Rec League Smith” appreciation thread. Finally got around to making a profile. Keep up the good work, everyone. I will be travelling on Thurs night but am interested to see how the Zips look against a regional rival. 

Welcome to ZNO!  I learn from these guys all the time, they know their stuff....

38 minutes ago, KangarooInExile said:

Welcome and feel free to stick around!

3 hours ago, KangarooInExile said:

...and remember, the key to ZNO serenity is the judicious use of the ignore feature!

The  Pengs  do not seem to employ the old run and gun, up and down the floor game as some of the recent editions of YSU  squads.   The Zips need to start shooting it better for sure but the Pengs have been even worse from the floor in the early going. Akron has been better at the stripe and boards while YSU has taken pretty good care of the ball. This might be a tighter and lower scoring game than many would expect.  

Just a guess here....

Akron 69

YSU 64

Today's ABJ content from GT-

Zips-Penguins Scouting Report-  https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20191121/college-basketball-akron-vs-ysu-scouting-report

Review of Tom Hanks new Mr. Rogers movie-  https://www.beaconjournal.com/entertainment/20191121/tom-hanks-makes-neighborhood-place-worth-visiting

I feel much better informed about the movie than I do about the game.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/20/2019 at 1:50 PM, KangarooInExile said:

Yes, welcome. Looks like I am no longer the rookie (woot woot).

I'll be at the game tonight watching Akron dismantle "little brother" my prediction is Akron by 20. 

• Like 1