Game 5- Youngstown State

clarkwgriswold

3 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

In class currently. Can someone give me a synopsis of what was so good about the first half aside from the 18 pt halftime lead? Please and thank you. 

Solid execution and shots going down. And a few really nice plays from Cheese and Tribble.

Edited by Illini Zip

This team really played well in the first half.  LCJ got into early foul trouble and the team played very well with him on the bench.  Tribble looks stronger every game.  LCJ must realize this also because he found his shot in the second half and finished with 18 points.  Best shooting game he has had all season. My only disappointment is with Williams.  This guy just likes to shoot the 3 ball.  He needs to have better shot selection and stop shooting so much.  His 3 point percentage must be below 30%.  I really expected more from him.  We finally have an inside player who has some nice strong moves to the hoop.  Not Riak, not Sayles, but Reese.    You got to love the athletes on this team.  If we shoot the ball this well though the season we should compete in the MAC.

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

Jackie just pointed out that we have not seen Sayles yet.

Edit: Entered game with 1:56 left in the game.

Noticed that while at the game.  Jaden wasn't in until 1:56, even though at one point we had a 24-point lead.  I think Groce is letting him know that he's not going to see the floor for us and if he wants college p.t. he's gonna have to transfer?

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Noticed that while at the game.  Jaden wasn't in until 1:56, even though at one point we had a 24-point lead.  I think Groce is letting him know that he's not going to see the floor for us and if he wants college p.t. he's gonna have to transfer?

Groce stated in the post game interview that he had wanted to get Sayles in the game, but YSU was playing 4's that were perimeter players which caused Akron to go smaller. 

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

This team really played well in the first half.  LCJ got into early foul trouble and the team played very well with him on the bench.  Tribble looks stronger every game.  LCJ must realize this also because he found his shot in the second half and finished with 18 points.  Best shooting game he has had all season. My only disappointment is with Williams.  This guy just likes to shoot the 3 ball.  He needs to have better shot selection and stop shooting so much.  His 3 point percentage must be below 30%.  I really expected more from him.  We finally have an inside player who has some nice strong moves to the hoop.  Not Riak, not Sayles, but Reese.    You got to love the athletes on this team.  If we shoot the ball this well though the season we should compete in the MAC.

Williams had 10 points, and I noticed that he makes a huge difference on defense.  At Louisville, he will be playing the type of competition that he saw back in the day.  We will see if he can step up.  The JAR was really into it tonight.  Was a lot of fun.

He also stated on the ESPN+ broadcast that he is confident in starting any of his top 8 guys, which shows he doesn't have the same level of confidence in Sayles that he has in the other 8 rotational players. Outside of SCUS he's only been getting 2-5 minutes per game. I kind of expect that to continue. He might get a game here or there where he gets 10-15 minutes if one of the bigs miss a game or gets into early foul trouble.

Sayles I felt has always had some good footwork and post moves. He just seems to lack that touch. I wonder how much having back-to-back season ending injuries impacted his growth.

18 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

He also stated on the ESPN+ broadcast that he is confident in starting any of his top 8 guys, which shows he doesn't have the same level of confidence in Sayles that he has in the other 8 rotational players. Outside of SCUS he's only been getting 2-5 minutes per game. I kind of expect that to continue. He might get a game here or there where he gets 10-15 minutes if one of the bigs miss a game or gets into early foul trouble.

Sayles I felt has always had some good footwork and post moves. He just seems to lack that touch. I wonder how much having back-to-back season ending injuries impacted his growth.

Good question about the injuries impacting his growth.  I - along with a number of other posters on here - thought he looked his best his freshman year before his injury.  He hasn't looked quite the same since.  To this day it infuriates me when refs call T's for hanging on the rim after dunks.  Jaden about killed himself because he was afraid of getting T'd up.

• Like 1