Game 6- Louisville

clarkwgriswold

The 16 point half-time deficit was just a little too much to overcome. It's kind of hard to fault Xeyrius for taking those 3's. Those were all good looks within the flow of the offense. He was brought here to be a stretch 4 so those shots are well within his game. He's shown at Dayton he can make them. It has to be a mental thing at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

Not going to point a finger at X. Yeah, it would have helped had he hit a couple but the real reason we lost this one was that we were absolutely crushed on the glass.  One Hell of an effort though, I'm proud of their grit and desire.

We were out rebounded 24-12 in the 1st half. We actually held our own in the second half as we finished -12 for the game. Riak and Xeyrius did well in boxing out and getting boards. This is probably the one opponent we'll face all season that will be able to exploit Reece size. 

• Like 2

I'd like to see X continue to take the good looks, but maybe bring it in just a little bit. He's been really good in the mid-range game, so I don't want to see him force his way out of his funk. Man, I'm looking forward to what this group can do. I'm not gonna put the cart before the horse, as last year's team had Nevada on the ropes, but this team is shaping up to be really good. 

We. Shall. See.

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We were out rebounded 24-12 in the 1st half. We actually held our own in the second half as we finished -12 for the game. Riak and Xeyrius did well in boxing out and getting boards. This is probably the one opponent we'll face all season that will be able to exploit Reece size. 

Yes, it wasn't as bad as the box I had in front of me at the time which was -19.  I deleted it as soon as I checked the ESPN box.  Your take on the subject is on point

L'CJ had his best game as a Zip.  If he can play that way the entire season we will be tough.  Love the way he attacked the basket and made some floaters.  Cheese and Banks are great players.  Ali and Tribble looked like frosh.  First time in  a big arena.  They will get better.  Good to see Sayles and Riak score some points.  Several people indicate that Williams had a bad night shooting.  That has been his whole season.  A lot of his shots are just bad shots.  They are off balance shots where he is not squared up.  When his is open he has just missed.  He has not shown any ability to his the 3 ball all season.  Groce needs to coach this guy to take good shots or look for his teammates or drive to the hoop.  Shooting the 3 ball is not his game.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I really like that Groce takes his team on the road to play tough teams and doesn't complain about it!

I had to do it old school tonight with French and Dunn.  #throwbacksunday

Me too!  Surprised Ms. Voice let me, as  had it on while she was watching DWTS in the other room, and I was "distracting".

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Interestingly, they have had 3 common opponents with the Zips in the young season, beating YSU 78-55, NCC 87-58 and SCU 76-50.

Youngstown State, USC Upstate, NC Central, Louisville, and the Zips have all played each other as part of the Global Sports Shootout. Akron- Louisville is the final game. Each team has played the other four. While this event doesn't use seeding it is easy to see that they expected Akron and Louisville to be the top two teams in the event with Louisville hosting each of their game and the Zips only travelling to play the Cards. Plus, they purposely scheduled the Akron-Louisville game last for the entire event.

• Like 1