2019-2020 Zips. Impressions

akronzips71

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I would like to see X drive the lane more often. At six foot eight, in the MAC, he can do some damage in the paint. And if fouled, he hits hit ft’s at a solid clip. Settling for long 3’s is selling himself short.

Once a few bunnies fall, maybe the hoop starts looking a little bigger from 21 feet. 

Drive the lane and then not fade away!  I know he was hitting the fade early in the year but now not so much.

It’s looks like this team is built for the  Mac tournament by the way they  mostly play?With what  the starting 5 have shown there capable of winning the MAC & the coaches are committed.Idk how far the zips could go in a national tournament just because they don’t have a bench.If only two bench players could step up completely,success could be unlimited?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NWAkron said:

1. There's a photo from the Ball State game a few posts above.  LCJ, Tribble, X, Reece, and Banks. That was an awesome game.  Most fun of the season at the JAR apart from UMass game.

Looks an awful lot like what we're likely to see a lot of on Saturday.

• Like 1

Given that Tribble and Dawson are really no more of a threat from the perimeter than Riak is, I wonder if we see any lineups where Xeyrius plays the SF and we play two of Riak/Sayles/Reece at the 4/5. I say this because our floor spacing is going to be screwed anyways, but at least with a lineup of say Xeyrius, Riak, and Sayles we should be able to hold our own in the rebounding department.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Given that Tribble and Dawson are really no more of a threat from the perimeter than Riak is, I wonder if we see any lineups where Xeyrius plays the SF and we play two of Riak/Sayles/Reece at the 4/5. I say this because our floor spacing is going to be screwed anyways, but at least with a lineup of say Xeyrius, Riak, and Sayles we should be able to hold our own in the rebounding department.

I wondered too if we might see some of that.  I think Groce wants to stay up tempo, so I don't think we'll see much if any of it, but there's a chance.

• Confused 1

MAC champs.

Great to see X get his groove back. One of the more enjoyable Zips seasons so far, I sure hope they finish it off because they deserve it. A really likeable roster that plays as a team, no selfishness. Exciting style, athletic and can shoot.

Now onto the perils of a one bid league. One fluky night, cold shooting night, one injury, one huge shipment of weed to your PG and it could end in an instant. Fingers crossed.

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but it needs to be said. 

Thank you to Groce, the coaching staff, and the team for a special season. Thank you for the incredible effort all year, never giving up, and giving us a lot to cheer for. Thank you to Groce & his staff for focusing on the fundamentals - defense, free throws, rebounding - that propelled this team all year. 

There's only one thing left to do...

• Like 2