Game 7- Merrimack College

clarkwgriswold

I actually enjoyed watching the game because the Zips played very smart and disciplined basketball attacking the zone.  LCJ looked like a leader and made several nice floaters in the paint.  The Zips only took one bad 3 point shot and that was by LCJ.  Both Cheese and Williams were able to attack the zone when they got the ball at the elbow by the foul line.  They both made some nice 12 foot jump shots or faked the jump shot and attacked the rim.  The Zips only took 12 3 pointers and 2 came at the end of the game when they were running out the clock.  Groce did a great job coaching our team on how to attack the zone.  Williams finally had a good game shooting and went 6 of 12.  He had 6 turnovers but many of the turnovers were passes that were miscommunications between him and another player.

I have been down on William because of his poor shot selection but I heard him on the post game show and he is a very articulate guy and does play by play on e sports.  During the interview he indicated that he watched the film and noticed that he has been taking to many difficult shots and he needed to take better shots.  He indicated that he had been settling for easy shots.   I only saw him take one poor shot tonight, a 3 pointer.   I hope he watches the film tonight and realizes he has the talent to score 20 points a game without shoot 10 3 balls.  He is a great foul shooter.  Really impressed with Cheese and Banks.  This team has some real talent and was fun to watch tonight.  

• Like 4

ABJ: Zips cruise to 64-47 win over Merrimack

It wasn't what I would call an exciting game - Merrimack's deliberate, slow-down style wouldn't seem to allow for that.  But while it wasn't the most entertaining ball I've seen this year, neither was it ugly or sloppy.  Zips did what they had to do - took their time on offense passing & working for good looks - and executed well.  

The Zippers seemed focussed on both offense and defense for the entire 40 minutes.  Good effort!

I like this team!

12 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I actually enjoyed watching the game because the Zips played very smart and disciplined basketball attacking the zone.  LCJ looked like a leader and made several nice floaters in the paint.  The Zips only took one bad 3 point shot and that was by LCJ.  Both Cheese and Williams were able to attack the zone when they got the ball at the elbow by the foul line.  They both made some nice 12 foot jump shots or faked the jump shot and attacked the rim.  The Zips only took 12 3 pointers and 2 came at the end of the game when they were running out the clock.  Groce did a great job coaching our team on how to attack the zone.  Williams finally had a good game shooting and went 6 of 12.  He had 6 turnovers but many of the turnovers were passes that were miscommunications between him and another player.

I have been down on William because of his poor shot selection but I heard him on the post game show and he is a very articulate guy and does play by play on e sports.  During the interview he indicated that he watched the film and noticed that he has been taking to many difficult shots and he needed to take better shots.  He indicated that he had been settling for easy shots.   I only saw him take one poor shot tonight, a 3 pointer.   I hope he watches the film tonight and realizes he has the talent to score 20 points a game without shoot 10 3 balls.  He is a great foul shooter.  Really impressed with Cheese and Banks.  This team has some real talent and was fun to watch tonight.  

Glad to hear about how they handled the zone.  In the limited times they saw it earlier this season, they looked a little lost.  I was also happy to hear they mixed up the defenses a little.