Tight End Position

ZipsFanatic112

We’re losing Junk, Johns & Long this upcoming year & wondering who’s going to fill in at the tight end spot. Wolfley is returning but with missing 5 games this year, will he be able to stay healthy? We tend to keep at least one tight end, maybe even two tight ends on the field. Saw Abdou Diop (JUCO TE out of ASA Brooklyn) took a visit. Kenyon Sholty is returning (Redshirted this year, transfer from Indiana State.). However, we only have one 2020 commit so far. Not looking like a lot of depth/ D1 experience for such an important position.

• Like 1

I think your concern would be better justified by focusing on just about any other position.

Akron has a tradition of ignoring the tight end as a passing option.

With the Zips offensive scheme, just about any interior lineman could fill the position of tight end.

I have previously suggested that we rename the position "Decoy" to no avail.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I think your concern would be better justified by focusing on just about any other position.

With the Zips offensive scheme, just about any interior lineman could fill the position of tight end.

ZMs right.  Watching Nick Johns motion form one side of the O-line to the other ad nauseum just signals to me where the staff wanted him to block.  I can't remember a time when he was actually thrown the ball.  Decoy is not entirel correct, becasue the opposition has scouted well enough to know they ain't gonna chuck it to one of our TEs, should be called "Extra (try to block) Blocker".

Unfortunately TE position has had serious struggles.  Looked liked we found a good one with Kobe Booker & he quit.  Long looked good his junior year & tore ACL in spring game & limped his whole senior year.  They moved Devon Jones to TE & he had a great spring & tore his ACL in spring game.  It was his 2nd ACL & he walked with seniors last night so assuming he is not looking for a medical red shirt.  Junk has been hurt every season, Johns hurt and missed a few.  Hopefully Wolfley will be good to go and get some help.  I do think going into this year our offense was projected to be our strong suit.  Thinking our line was a strong suit & ended up being our weakest link but we lost Burkhart & Morris WR, Jones & Wolfley TE, every RB via injury or transfer portal Sands, Alce, White, Floyd & went through several freshman via injuries

No excuses, as football is a next man up sport because of high injury risk but we did take a lot of hits.  If you look back over the offensive stats Burkhart didn’t play in Troy game & from Kent State on.  We REALLY struggled without him.  Don’t know if Kato was comfortable with him, his deep threat opened the field up or what but it’s really obvious looking back at it

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I am surprised Arth did not use any TE more in the offense. Thought he would especially since the O-line was bad and the run game was non-existent.

5 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Im not sure using any interior lineman would help at TE as I did not see any of them with a great ability to block and the athleticism to move fast enough on the edge. If you noticed last night in short yardage OU went with Dbl TE and 2 backs one as a leed blocker. Looked to work pretty well. Think maybe we learned anything by it ?

Edited by John Ward