Game 8- Marshall

clarkwgriswold

Great win for the Zips.  Williams and Jackson played there best games as Zips.  Jackson has really found success with that floater.  The team shot 50% from 3 and outrebounded the Heard.  The Marshall announcers were very complimentary of the Zips.  We had some great success in the paint.  Probably our best road victory under Groce.  When this team shoots the ball well and runs offense they are tough.  They did not run the ball down the court as in past game and I think it helped their team to play a more controlled offense.

13 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Great win for the Zips.  Williams and Jackson played there best games as Zips.  Jackson has really found success with that floater.  The team shot 50% from 3 and outrebounded the Heard.  The Marshall announcers were very complimentary of the Zips.  We had some great success in the paint.  Probably our best road victory under Groce.  When this team shoots the ball well and runs offense they are tough.  They did not run the ball down the court as in past game and I think it helped their team to play a more controlled offense.

I think that's only the 3rd road win under Groce, so this was huge.   That's what I wanted to see...a good road win.  Will give them some confidence when they hit the road in the MAC.

• Like 3

Nice win for you guys. In just under 4 weeks you get us and really wish I could go, but my backup is on vacation for 2 weeks and a Monday game.

We (UMass) are much improved but have lost four straight to Virginia, St. Johns, Rutgers and South Carolina. The last was tonight at home 84 - 80.

If I were to have looked into my crystal ball and saw that Banks and Cheese tallied a total of 4 points I would have suspected that we would have got hosed.  Monster stat line across the board from X.  He's been great on the glass and plays hard. He's the complete package. 

As a lifelong Cleveland and Zips sports fan I should probably know better but I'm getting a little geeked up for this team.

8 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

If I were to have looked into my crystal ball and saw that Banks and Cheese tallied a total of 4 points I would have suspected that we would have got hosed.  Monster stat line across the board from X.  He's been great on the glass and plays hard. He's the complete package. 

As a lifelong Cleveland and Zips sports fan I should probably know better but I'm getting a little geeked up for this team.

I'm starting to get that feeling too, the "March could be fun" feeling. But I've let that feeling ruin too many springs for me, so for now I will temper my expectations and try to take it one game at a time. But yeah, this team seems like its got the "goods."

6 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

This is interesting. And look where Buffalo is rated!

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/schedule/Akron

So far a huge change from last 2 years.

PCCC and BG is top 20?

Marshall is in the 300s.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/marshall_university/marshall-basketball-akron-zips-past-herd/article_dfbfe8a4-68ed-51ba-9533-741c12637d5f.html

Edited by NWAkron

All these ranking systems are pretty goofy this early into a season as the sample size just isn't large enough to work out the kinks. I've seen BGSU & Kent play this season and neither looks like a top 20 team. As of right now I see 5 teams that have so far separated themselves from the pack. Those teams are Toledo, Buffalo, Kent, BGSU, and Akron. I'd say Toledo and BGSU are ahead of the other 3, but not by much.

• Like 1

Excellent, EXCELLENT road win, which isn't something that has been said during Groce's tenure thus far. Definitely a down Marshall squad this year (I, like others, certainly hope this series is renewed moving forward), but we did exactly what I expected us to do - control the game from start to finish and win comfortably. 

Looking at the box score...

- LCJ & X. WOW. 

- Did Ali really start? That's surprising. Seemed to have a quiet game, too. 

- Definitely not the greatest games by Cheese & Banks. Cheese with zero FT attempts shows he wasn't himself based on a lack of aggressiveness, and Banks missing 4 FTs is uncharacteristic of him. 

- Riak seemed to have a decent game, no? 

- What's up with Reece only getting 14 minutes? Did it have to do with his 6 TOs?

- 50% from beyond the arc and 46% from the field as a team. Please tell me we stole the hoops from Marshall and brought them back with us. 

Definitely some questions (mostly thanks to a LACK OF UPDATES from The Board ?) but overall very impressed from what I'm hearing and seeing regarding the summary of the game. Interesting that Marshall plays Toledo again. No letdowns against Southern, Finals Week, then let's get geared up for this DC tournament that includes a solid Tulane game (Tulane is 7-1 with a win against the PAC 12's Utah).

To quote the great @NWAkron, but this time without the sometimes-painful sarcasm, "Excitement is building." 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

13 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Excellent, EXCELLENT road win, which isn't something that has been said during Groce's tenure thus far. Definitely a down Marshall squad this year (I, like others, certainly hope this series is renewed moving forward), but we did exactly what I expected us to do - control the game from start to finish and win comfortably. 

- LCJ & X. WOW. 

- Definitely not the greatest games by Cheese & Banks. Cheese with zero FT attempts shows he wasn't himself based on a lack of aggressiveness, and Banks missing 4 FTs is uncharacteristic of him. 

- What's up with Reece only getting 14 minutes? Did it have to do with his 6 TOs?

- 50% from beyond the arc and 46% from the field as a team. Please tell me we stole the hoops from Marshall and brought them back with us. 

Definitely some questions (mostly thanks to a LACK OF UPDATES from The Board ?) but overall very impressed from what I'm hearing and seeing regarding the summary of the game. Interesting that Marshall plays Toledo again. No letdowns against Southern, Finals Week, then let's get geared up for this DC tournament that includes a solid Tulane game (Tulane is 7-1 with a win against the PAC 12's Utah).

To quote the great @NWAkron, but this time without the sometimes-painful sarcasm, "Excitement is building." 

The lack of board comments during the game was likely because 1. There wasn't a good video feed and/or 2. We were all holding our breath to see if they could actually get a road win.  This year Groce is coaching on Akron's dime.  Illinois is no longer subsidizing him, so he needs to produce road wins and results.

Ali has been starting all year but doesn't have the green light to shoot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

- LCJ & X. WOW. 

He picked up 2 quick fouls in the first half then picked up his third early into the 2nd half. I didn't even notice his 6 turnovers tbh, but that's way to many for anyone, let alone someone who isn't a primary ball handler. Reece has seemed to have gotten into the habit of getting into early foul trouble. I'm sure some of that has to do with the fact he has to be more physical to compensate for the fact he's 2-3 inches shorter than the bigs he's matched up against. Either way he needs to play smarter. I think 2 of his 3 fouls were on moving screens.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tpsjugglerdude said:

Anyone know why Toledo and Marshall scheduled a home and home series for this season?

You typically see a few of these per year. Marshall had been playing Akron, Toledo, and Ohio annually the past few years. It was mentioned in the broadcast that Marshall wanted to continue the series with Ohio, but Ohio wanted to take a short break from the series. This left an open date in Marshall's schedule, which I'm guessing conveniently matched up with a date Toledo was looking to fill.

5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

As of right now I see 5 teams that have so far separated themselves from the pack. Those teams are Toledo, Buffalo, Kent, BGSU, and Akron. I'd say Toledo and BGSU are ahead of the other 3, but not by much.

Central isn't far behind either.  They have one bad loss to Minnesota, and somehow managed to lose by 13 to undefeated DePaul (after enjoying an EIGHTEEN POINT lead at HT!) for their other loss.

3 hours ago, johnnyzip84 said:

Central isn't far behind either.  They have one bad loss to Minnesota, and somehow managed to lose by 13 to undefeated DePaul (after enjoying an EIGHTEEN POINT lead at HT!) for their other loss.

CMU played a team with Trolls as their mascot (Trinity). They are automatically barred from any "top of the MAC" discussions until further notice. ?

BG's win over Cincy is impressive. Buffalo is up there but thankfully they're not the same Buffalo from year's past. Toledo is gonna be a PITA this year; thankfully we only play them once and it's at the JAR. KSUcks is KSUcks. 

These MAC schedules are overall pathetic minus a few (Akron's is by far the best thus far). 

On 12/5/2019 at 12:00 PM, kreed5120 said:

You typically see a few of these per year. Marshall had been playing Akron, Toledo, and Ohio annually the past few years. It was mentioned in the broadcast that Marshall wanted to continue the series with Ohio, but Ohio wanted to take a short break from the series. This left an open date in Marshall's schedule, which I'm guessing conveniently matched up with a date Toledo was looking to fill.

It's just weird when you have a limited number of OOC games and you schedule the same team twice. 

• 4 weeks later...