Swimming's Big Weekend

ZipsVoice

So, basketball's going full on now, and football, soccer and volleyball are done.  If you want to root for a nationally ranked Akron team, this weekend the U hosts the Zippy Invitational at Ocasek, and it should be a competitive affair.  I saw on gozips.com that the divers were at the Magnus Cup at Cleveland State last weekend, but no results for swimming.  I checked the results and we didn't send a squad, which surprised me.  We had won this meet I think like the last 3 or 4 in a row.  Maybe it just wasn't competitive enough for us anymore?  But Friday, Saturday and Sunday should be great.  Ivy League Cornell comes back, and a lot of the men's pool and meet records bear their names.  Horizon Champs Oakland should challenge on both the women and men side.  Cincinnati will be there from the American Athletic Conference, and St. Bonaventure from the A-10.  Small school power Bloomsburg are back, and so is Clarion, and Malone should add some local flavor.  Zippies should be the favorites but Cornell and Oakland will press them hard.  It's warm and humid in the O, but so much more fun and comfortable that watching the FB team inside Info the past few weeks.  Never thought I'd like this sport, but it is exciting as heck.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, another Zippy Invitational win for the Women swimmers and divers.  My takeaways from the long weekend:

• U of A sports admin was present and counted for for most of the weekend, and Zippy herself was on hand for all three days, all positives after the 2018 Invite.  Kudos.
  • It seems Diving has found themselves again after a couple off years.  Soph Kami Goodrick (1st) and Junior Andrea Bugariu were excellent at 1 meter and frosh Paige Kalik had a podium finish at 1 meter,  and won the 3 meter.
  • Paulina Nogaj continues to show she's national caliber, winning the 200 yard IM, the 100 yard butterfly, the 200 yard freestyle, 200 yard butterfly and was on 3 Zips winning realy teams
  • Morgan Waggoner is the stud sprinter now, as she won the 50 yard freestyle and the 100 yard freestyle
  • Jackie Pash won the 400 yard IM
  • Andrea Fischer won the 100 yard breaststroke
  • the unthinkable - the Zips lost a relay!  They lost the 800 yard freestyle relay to Cincinnati
  • Brooke Lamoreaux didn't win but took 2 seconds in the distance freestyles
  • Freshman Weronica Gorecka won the 200 yard backstroke
  • Paula Garcia won the 200 breast, but maybe isn't at here best yet?  
  • Sarah Watson is also maybe off-schedule training-wise?
  • Cornell men are beasts, and Oakland was pushed by Cincinnati s well
  • Lots of nice performances from other youngsters
  • Like 2