Game 9- Southern University @ 2pm Sunday Dec 8th

clarkwgriswold

9 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

Some games aren't going to be pretty.  Sometime you just have to gut out a win.  That's seems to be what Akron did today.  Take the win and get ready for Concord.

Agreed. Many teams will eek a win out after facing adversity/struggles all day. The Zips won by 15. I think that says a little bit about where this team is at talent wise, focus wise, and potential wise. 

• Like 2

LCJ has really impressed me the last 3 games.  He had no turnovers today and did a great job of running the offense and breaking the press.  When he drives to the basket he has been under control and found Reese for some easy dunks.  (Reese missed another dunk today and I think that is at least 3 missed dunks).  He also leads the team with 6 assists.  Banks and Cheese played well although I think that Banks gets beat off the dribble too easily.  However, he seem to make it up because he knows how to take an offensive charge.  Cheese had some great drives to the basket and got to the line 11 times.  Our defense was better in the second half and I was glad to see the team pull away.  I did not think the crowd was that bad for a Sunday game against the Browns.  The Southern team had 3 buses so they brought some fans.  Great win!

58 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Decent article. I wouldn't say the crowd went into a "frenzy" when Zips took the lead, but I think we were all shell shocked until that point.  But Groce is right, the team didn't panic.  I think the last two years they would have played hero ball and started chucking 3s to make up the deficit. 

On another note, I thought the MAC would be easier this year.  Looks like it will be more brutal.

And off topic: this has some good press for Zips and their fans if you scroll down.  Notice PCCC isn't mentioned.

https://www.chatsports.com/duke-blue-devils/a/source/acc-roundup-a-hurley-brothers-sunday-special-15690222

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

It was nice to see Xeyrius have back-to-back good games from behind the arc. Hopefully he has regained his confidence and shaken off the rust. 

Edit:

After my initial post I saw Williams won MAC East player of the week. 

https://gozips.com/news/2019/12/9/mens-basketball-williams-named-mac-east-player-of-the-week.aspx

Edited by kreed5120