MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

BTW, another aside, the color commentator mentioned near halftime that LCJ had I believe 7 "Fouls Taken", meaning 7 times his man fouled him.  That's an impressive stat, especially considering he's like an 84% FT shooter.

Edited by Z.I.P.

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I noticed the leading with/pushing off with the forearm arm getting called both ways.  

Some of them -- especially the one against Cheese just didn't make a difference, and didn't need to be called.  Pretty sure it was Tyler, though could have been Xeyrius.

I think I heard the announcers say LCJ had 12 fouls drawn near the end of the game. Ball State guards were just not quick enough to keep up with him, which led to them being out of position on defense.

Personally, for a game that wasn't all that physical I thought their were a lot of fouls called. Granted Akron's 3 main ball handlers (LCJ, Cheese, & Xeyrius) are all terrific foul shooters so a tightly called game helps Akron, but personally I don't like to see games turn into free throw contests. I saw a lot of ticky tack fouls on both sides.

Edit: Akron's foul shooting is going to make it challenging for any team to overcome a late game deficit. If we have Banks inbound it we can field a lineup of 4 80%+ ft% shooters, 2 of which are nearly 90%.

Edited by kreed5120

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

On a related note, Mark Kostelac has played in 5 of 15 games at Walsh, averaging 7 minutes and 1.6 points a game

Thanks for this...just catching up n the threads after a late night at the JAR, and was reading posts on LCJ possible transferring, and was thinking what Mark was posting at Walsh, saved me a search...

6 minutes ago, MDZip said:

And the last two MAC undefeateds - Pinky (Kent) and the Brain (Zips). CMU closed it to a point late against the fightin' Pinky's but couldn't quite pull it out.

MV5BMjA1NDY2NDExNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODA3ODc5MjE@._V1_UY268_CR87,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

watched.  wasn't impressed by either at the end of the game.  now watching NIU crush awful Eastern Michigan.  NIU hitting 3s from all over.  One game at a time.  Like LCJ says, Zips are 1-0.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:18 AM, MDZip said:

Then you might like this even better, Zips are all the way up to #42 in the NET rankings which is one of the tools the NCAA selection committee uses. If they can beat a good Ball State team tonight they should inch into the thirties.

#38!

• Like 1

A couple of  things that I noted from the weekend games....

Justin Turner appears to be getting back into the swing after dropping 29 on the road vs. the Kittens.  He's obviously the man for BG  and they were largely far less than impressive while he was out, and after just coming back, with a bad hammy. It seems that he's now back into playing shape so the Falcons should be much better moving forward. I wouldn't dismiss their chances just yet.

Kent was far less than impressive vs C Mich but keep in mind that they played without their best big, Whittington, who according to reports was ordered to have no contact with the team after coming down with a nasty flu virus.  It's a situation to keep an eye on because the Flashes could certainly be  vulnerable in Oxford if he's still out or not at his best Tuesday.

29 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

Kent was far less than impressive vs C Mich but keep in mind that they played without their best big, Whittington, who according to reports was ordered to have no contact with the team after coming down with a nasty flu virus.  It's a situation to keep an eye on because the Flashes could certainly be  vulnerable in Oxford if he's still out or not at his best Tuesday.

Whittington's a load.  Must be a solid dude, as well.  I saw him at a Zips game last month.  He was sitting in the lower bowl & stayed for almost the entire game.  He left maybe 5 minutes early but the Zips had a big lead.  As he was leaving he was giving some handshakes and a couple hugs to Zips fans - it looked like they all knew each other.  Idk.

21 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Whittington's a load.  Must be a solid dude, as well.  I saw him at a Zips game last month.  He was sitting in the lower bowl & stayed for almost the entire game.  He left maybe 5 minutes early but the Zips had a big lead.  As he was leaving he was giving some handshakes and a couple hugs to Zips fans - it looked like they all knew each other.  Idk.

I saw him there as well.  PCCC got lucky break with Turner being injured in that first game.  I watched that Kitten game and even when they were down BG coach looked quite confident.  Kittens living and dying by the 3 and are out of shape.  Typical during the rebuild.  Zips and PCCC play tomorrow at two points of the MAC Bermuda Triangle.  Millet Hall and the Convocation Center.  Miami badly needs a win and NIU took out Canada last year when Canada was #15.  

Week 3 MAC Schedule

TUESDAY

Akron @ Cornfield Dogs 72-49

PCCC @ Sweaters (OH) 77-74

BUGS @ Inebriated Horses 85-82

CMU @ Toledo 74-67

Balls @ EMU 69-52

Bobkittens @ Canada 76-73

SATURDAY

Toledo @ Akron

Sweaters (OH) @ Balls

Canada @ CMU

Bobkittens @ EMU

PCCC @ Inebriated Horses

Cornfield Dogs @ BUGS

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

25 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Bored waiting until 7pm CST?   On cue, the sad Kittens are missing their old coach: https://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPage=1&ForumPID=1&PID=294416

I love it. The lack of success O-Who has had since Groce's departure is simply salt in the wound. I hope we finish this season in spectacular fashion, just to rub it in.

What's sad is I think they made the right hire in Boals, who is an O-Who grad to boot. Yet due to the slower start to his tenure and Groce having Akron playing solid basketball currently, they can't help but fail to appreciate what they have while crying about yesteryear. 

• Haha 1