MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

Per the MAC's website:

TIE-BREAKER PROCEDURE
Ties in winning percentage, and thus for tournament, seeding positions shall be broken as follows:

1. Between TWO teams:
A. Head-to-head competition

B. Division Record (10 games)^

C. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom, regardless of division, vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)

D. Coin flip

2. For MULTIPLE (3 or more) team ties:
E. Total won-lost record/winning percentage* of games played among the tied teams

F. Two (2)-team tie-breaker procedure goes into effect (refer to A)
[NOTE: Once a three-team tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker will go into effect.]

^ - For the purpose of determining the Division champion. This tiebreaker is ONLY used for seeding purposes if the two teams in question are tied for the Division lead. (Teams will still be considered co-divisional champions) 

* - Winning percentage is used instead of record because of situations where teams do not play each other the same number of times. Therefore, a team that is 1-0 (1.000) would win the tiebreaker over a team that is 1-1 (.500).

Edited by zipsrule

1 hour ago, zipsrule said:

I had the same thought.  I keep thinking there is something I am missing.

It looks like we were correct. BGSU is still in the #1 spot. Toledo also moved ahead of CMU in the standings so even if they end up 1-1 against Buffalo, they'd still hold the tie-breaker as they have a better record against Toledo than we do. In reality we need to finish we a better record to win the conference at this point.

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It looks like we were correct. BGSU is still in the #1 spot. Toledo also moved ahead of CMU in the standings so even if they end up 1-1 against Buffalo, they'd still hold the tie-breaker as they have a better record against Toledo than we do. In reality we need to finish we a better record to win the conference at this point.

I believe if we end up in a tie with Bowling Green we are considered co-conference champions.  They just get the higher seed because of the tie breaker and probably the automatic NIT bid.  (I remember this nugget of information from a prior year when we tied for conference regular season)

7 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I believe if we end up in a tie with Bowling Green we are considered co-conference champions.  They just get the higher seed because of the tie breaker and probably the automatic NIT bid.  (I remember this nugget of information from a prior year when we tied for conference regular season)

We would be, but I want the benefits that come a long with it. Namely the NIT auto-bid as an insurance policy.

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Damn BUGS...damn MAC...I'm so bewildered.

Funny, the Zips play one of their best games after one of their worst while BUGS plays one of their worst after playing one of their best.

Did they play their best or was Akron just awful for one night?  i heard a really effed up stat while watching the BG/Miami game.  BG got more rebounds in the Akron game than any Division 1 team did in any game this season.  Despite that their win was under 20

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Did they play their best or was Akron just awful for one night?  i heard a really effed up stat while watching the BG/Miami game.  BG got more rebounds in the Akron game than any Division 1 team did in any game this season.  Despite that their win was under 20

A lot of that had to do with the volume number of shots Akron missed. It's easier to secure a defensive rebound than it is an offensive one.

• Like 1