MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

Interesting quote from an ESPN article.

"I decided to change leadership of our program days before the COVID-19 crisis emerged. A comprehensive national search in this time of anxiety, despite exceedingly strong national interest in the position, just didn't sit well with me," athletic director Kathy Beauregard said in a statement.

I don't know if that's a cop out, but if I'm a WMU fan, using the Coronavirus situation as an excuse to not have an extensive HC search wouldn't sit well with me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

"I decided to change leadership of our program days before the COVID-19 crisis emerged. A comprehensive national search in this time of anxiety, despite exceedingly strong national interest in the position, just didn't sit well with me," athletic director Kathy Beauregard said in a statement.

I don't know if that's a cop out, but if I'm a WMU fan, using the Coronavirus situation as an excuse to not have an extensive HC search wouldn't sit well with me. 

IDK.  Times are tough.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Times are tough, but I'm doing video conferences for work instead of in person meetings.  I'm not trying to minimize the COVID-19 pandemic, but it sounds like a cop out to me (and a salary dump).  It will be interesting to see what other teams do in the coming months.  There is no practice or meetings and the kids aren't even on campus, so she could have postponed the search as well.  I agree she is in a tough spot.  I'm just glad its no us. 

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I read that WMU bumped his salary from $110k as an assistant to $120k as head coach. He'll also receive ~100k in bonus compensation. All in all he'll make about half of what Hawkins was making and will be by far the lowest paid MAC men's basketball coach. 

Ouch, I hadn't seen the numbers, but it looked like a purely financial move.  Thanks for the recon.

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

With this being the only coaching change in the MAC, I wonder how much the absence of the MAC Tourney played into keeping some of the other coaches. Did the coaches convince the ADs they could have made a run in Cleveland?

I think Davis, Murphy, and Owens, have time left on their contracts.  This wasn't the time to buy them out.

6 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

With this being the only coaching change in the MAC, I wonder how much the absence of the MAC Tourney played into keeping some of the other coaches. Did the coaches convince the ADs they could have made a run in Cleveland?

Hawkins was the only one that was going to get fired. Keno Davis just signed a 4 year extension last fall otherwise he may have been canned. Murphy's buyout figure is $200-$300K so it's low enough that he could have been bought out, but that would require EMU to actually care about their basketball program.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

WMU just lost their best 2 players to the portal. When you hire from within, you hope that helps stabilize the roster. In WMU case that didn't help.

Brandon Johnson - WMU
Michael Flowers - WMU

Ouch.  Top two scorers, top rebounder.  Nearly a third of their team scoring and rebounding right down the Kalamazoo crapper!

Johnson's certainly welcome here.  He's a grad transfer.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:49 AM, kreed5120 said:

WMU just lost their best 2 players to the portal. When you hire from within, you hope that helps stabilize the roster. In WMU case that didn't help.

Brandon Johnson - WMU
Michael Flowers - WMU

Only two players that scared me from that squad. Well done WMU. Hope The Rona was a good enough excuse to submarine your program even more.